The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:
It's the last week before summer at college and I really need to have an EPQ title and hand in my proposal form etc etc
I want to do one about French and ideally French literature (to help with unis etc) and I have come across the works of Charles Baudelaire, but I cannot think of a question where there will be many resources or that I am really interested in.. so I don't know what to do :frown:
Any advice? Would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2981
Is there anyone out there with an A or A* grade initial planning example they could send me?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2982
this is very URGENT, so it will be really helpful if someone can answer my question as my EPQ(AQA) is in for next week. I just wanted to ask what things other than my essay do i have to hand in to get into the top grades, what extra things can i do?

and another question is that my presentation is on monday, so can anyone tell me what will make my presentation good and appealing? what things do i need to include in it?

my essay is about mental disorders and their treatments!

any help will be much appreciated
Back again, anyone know anything on these two guys? Avicenna and Des Cartes. Need to know who people think is a more modernly recognised philosopher?
I was told that the presentation was simply a way for the Supervisor/Co-ordinator to see what you did. I went all the way though, automated slides and handouts! Worth the A* :tongue:
Original post by allyz04
Is there anyone out there with an A or A* grade initial planning example they could send me?

I used this - http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA-9990-W-TRB-SAMPLE36.PDF
(edited 11 years ago)
Would this question be appropriate? Since it isn't a 'To what extent' type question...:

"What is the likely future of global energy supply?" or something along those lines. I'd go through all the major sources of energy, critically analysing them (obviously using secondary sources) and coming to a conclusion; one which likely won't be based around one particular thing. There would be more depth than I'm making this sound, obviously. But as the bare bones, does this sound alright?
Original post by LordFishlock
Back again, anyone know anything on these two guys? Avicenna and Des Cartes. Need to know who people think is a more modernly recognised philosopher?

Descartes is one of the most famous recent philosophers.
Original post by Bulbasaur
Would this question be appropriate? Since it isn't a 'To what extent' type question...:

"What is the likely future of global energy supply?" or something along those lines. I'd go through all the major sources of energy, critically analysing them (obviously using secondary sources) and coming to a conclusion; one which likely won't be based around one particular thing. There would be more depth than I'm making this sound, obviously. But as the bare bones, does this sound alright?

To what extent are great titles as they allow plenty of evaluation to get the nice juicy marks and you can justify you conclusions wherever they are depending on the analysis and synthesis you have done. It certainly allows you more depth and range to hit the better parts of the mark schemes than a simple yes/no or mere analysis title.

also ^5 for also doing about global energy ^_^
Original post by Silverland
To what extent are great titles as they allow plenty of evaluation to get the nice juicy marks and you can justify you conclusions wherever they are depending on the analysis and synthesis you have done. It certainly allows you more depth and range to hit the better parts of the mark schemes than a simple yes/no or mere analysis title.

also ^5 for also doing about global energy ^_^

That's interesting, thanks for sharing that. Did you do an EPQ about energy?

I'm just a bit unsure of how to create a qusetion with similar content with a 'to what extent' title. I'll have to think about it I guess.
When you're sourcing for the EPQ do you have to find the direct source? There's a site that would be trusted to have correct information, but doesn't source exactly how it knows a particular statistic.
Original post by Bulbasaur
That's interesting, thanks for sharing that. Did you do an EPQ about energy?

I'm just a bit unsure of how to create a qusetion with similar content with a 'to what extent' title. I'll have to think about it I guess.

still finishing mine. "To what extent is CCS a feasible and effective form of carbon dioxide abatement in China, relative to hydroelectric power, whilst still meeting China's growing energy demands"

so yeah =p
I have a lot of neato sources (especially from the international energy agency which I recommend) but I think they're quiet specific to the global warming side of energy rather and CS and HEP than energy in general
Since I love writing and I'm pretty confident at writing dark and descriptive things, I thought about doing a short story on the topic of abuse since it's always been such a controversial issue.
THEN I saw what I was up against with all these fantastic dissertations and thought "Hell no, I cannot do that to save my life".
SO then I figured, since you love researching, why not research the psychological aspects of abuse i.e. why, how, factual information etc. etc.
How on earth would I link that to a piece of short story writing?
In my EPQ summer starter booklet, it said that your chosen subject doesn't necessarily have to fall under one of the 4 categories i.e. dissertation, report/investigation, an artefact, or perfomance/production.

I want my end product to be something meaningful not just a morbid and depressing piece of fiction. Only problem is I don't know how to mix fact with fiction. :confused:

Thanks to anybody out there who can give me much-needed advice!
You're awesome! :tongue:
Reply 2993
I want to do an EPQ on belief in the paranormal, but have no idea how to do this! Can anyone help?
Reply 2994
Hey everyone - what topics are you thinking of doing for an EPQ

I'm not sure yet but am hoping to do something about belief in the paranormal :smile:
I'm going to do my EPQ on how the Renaissance period has influenced contemporary Art and perhaps write about the origins of the period too :smile:
Yours sounds very interesting! :biggrin:

That's a good one!
Just make sure that in your research, you are actually able to come up with a conclusion, since that's a key requirement of an EPQ.
Can you maybe look at previous studies, and see whether they've managed to find anything out for sure?

The other thing is that your question must be specific.
You don't need to know what it is from the start, but in the end you must pin things down to one definite line of research.
So maybe think, is there anything particular about such things that you want to find out?
Reply 2997
Can someone explain to me how it's actually graded? The M/S on the AQA website seems somewhat vague and subjective and looking at exemplar logs, I can't differentiate substantially between a Grade E and a Grade A* log. How is the product itself marked etc?
Argh ignore didn't read your post properly :tongue:
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
I changed my title a total of 5 times when I was writing my EPQ. I think it's fine to change during the process of research and writing, even if you've signed it, as long as you haven't actually finished and submitted it. You should ask your project supervisor though, just to make sure.

Quick Reply

Latest