The Student Room Group

need urgent advice on ib retakes and universities regards to them

hi, i am new and created an account on this site purely for this moment

i received only 33 points in my ib exams this year. i missed my oxford (38 points) and soas (36 points) offers by far. i intend to retake in November. what do universities think of ib retakes?

please answer urgently, this is a desperate student pannicking. i know oxford is out (i am guessing it is) what about soas?

please get back quickly, i am so scared my mind is going into overdrive.
I don't think soas will mind. But you should wait for a level results day because they may still accept you. Call both and ask if they will accept you and offer to show evidence of enthusiasm eg extended essay
Reply 2
Original post by seventyfourable
I don't think soas will mind. But you should wait for a level results day because they may still accept you. Call both and ask if they will accept you and offer to show evidence of enthusiasm eg extended essay

are you sure? i missed out by 3 points on the soas offer. would they look down on me if i resat the exams and scored 39-40 and then re-applied?
They wouldn't look down but retakes aren't guaranteed and if they are willing to accept you now there is little point. Talk to the uni before handing in the form
Reply 4
Original post by seventyfourable
They wouldn't look down but retakes aren't guaranteed and if they are willing to accept you now there is little point. Talk to the uni before handing in the form

are you sure?!?!?!?!?

thank you very much for your advice (i still haven't stopped crying)

i will ring them tommorow (monday)
Reply 5
It really depends on the course you were applying for. Here is what Oxford said about resits:

Oxford

Applicants who have re-taken their qualifications are eligible to apply, but should bear in mind the following:
•The University of Oxford offers courses that are academically very demanding and aims to select those students who would best be able to benefit from the challenges they make; this is why we require students to demonstrate that they can cope with the workload of taking three full A-levels (or equivalent) in one sitting.
•Additionally, a large proportion of our applicants have passed (or are predicted to pass) A-levels at a high level at the first attempt. Consequently, other things being equal, applicants who are re-taking their A-levels, whilst eligible, have on average a lower chance of being offered a place than those who are expected to obtain straight As at the first attempt.

Nevertheless, we recognise that students sometimes fail to achieve their potential on first attempt at school because of extreme circumstances beyond their control. We do take mitigating circumstances into account, as long as they are brought to our attention: a clear note should be made of these circumstances in the school reference.

Though it is not ideal, if you get a much higher score after resits, most universities won't particularly mind. (Again, this depends on the course)
Reply 6
Original post by Vulpes
It really depends on the course you were applying for. Here is what Oxford said about resits:

Though it is not ideal, if you get a much higher score after resits, most universities won't particularly mind. (Again, this depends on the course)

chinese studies
Reply 7
What subjects are you planning to do retake exams in??
Reply 8
Contact the departments themselves: they're always the source of the most accurate and relevant information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending