The Student Room Group

Preparing for AS

I am joining 6th form in September and was wondering whether anyone studying Maths, Economics, History or Media would recommend me preparing for them before I get there. I have obviously studied Maths at GCSE, I also studied History and Media so will have some fair background knowledge but economics I am entirely new to.

What methods would you recommend me using to prepare for AS level's in my subjects? I want to try and get ahead to make it a bit harder to fall behind when I'm there, lol.
Reply 1
I would recommend relaxing and resting your brain for the challenges to come when you actually start 6th form.
Reply 2
find out what exam boards you're on and order second hand text books or revision guides on amazon.

write notes from them and try to get to know some of the content you are learning. This will be so useful when it comes to revision too considering your teachers only teach you about 40% of what you need to know.

this is the one thing i wished i had done!
Reply 3
Enjoy your holiday, you can start worrying a week before starting sixth form.
Get the CGP head start to AS maths revision guide. Basically a run through of what you need to use from GCSE in A level maths. I wouldn't bother using it until August though, give yourself a chance to relax first then use it to remind yourself before you start AS.
For economics just keep an eye on the news, start learning definitions of certain terms like recession, inflation etc :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by zxh800
I would recommend relaxing and resting your brain for the challenges to come when you actually start 6th form.

I agree. The reason for a "holiday" is to relax and replenish yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by foodnom
find out what exam boards you're on and order second hand text books or revision guides on amazon.

write notes from them and try to get to know some of the content you are learning. This will be so useful when it comes to revision too considering your teachers only teach you about 40% of what you need to know.

this is the one thing i wished i had done!

Thanks, I will definitely have a look and give my brother a pester for his old ones lol, did you find that when you got there you were just given loads of work to do or was it more steady?
Reply 7
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
I agree. The reason for a "holiday" is to relax and replenish yourself.

I realize the reason for a holiday...I am away for 3 weeks of the 6 week summer holiday so won't be getting tooo much done at that point. I was just thinking by spending a few hours here and there I could get a bit of background knowledge behind me.
Reply 8
Original post by glelin96
Thanks, I will definitely have a look and give my brother a pester for his old ones lol, did you find that when you got there you were just given loads of work to do or was it more steady?

The first couple of weeks are just an introduction really, but after that it just comes at you really quickly and i found it hard to cope with the work load. But then again, i did all essay based subjects so i was being set about 8/9 essays a fortnight and so i didnt have enough time to take notes from my books.

It's something which im doing now for my A2s just to get ahead and it will pay off come revision time :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by foodnom
The first couple of weeks are just an introduction really, but after that it just comes at you really quickly and i found it hard to cope with the work load. But then again, i did all essay based subjects so i was being set about 8/9 essays a fortnight and so i didnt have enough time to take notes from my books.

It's something which im doing now for my A2s just to get ahead and it will pay off come revision time :smile:

Thanks a lot, I'm only really talking a few hours every couple of days cause i do want to enjoy the holiday :rolleyes: Guess I will be starting soon. The joy. :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by glelin96
Thanks a lot, I'm only really talking a few hours every couple of days cause i do want to enjoy the holiday :rolleyes: Guess I will be starting soon. The joy. :wink:

that's all you need to do :smile: it's better to have a break before you start :biggrin:
Original post by foodnom
your teachers only teach you about 40% of what you need to know.

what sort of teachers do you have that teach you that little?
OP: just don't worry! enjoy your holiday. Summer after year 11 was the best time of my life!
Reply 12
Original post by cant_think_of_name
what sort of teachers do you have that teach you that little?
OP: just don't worry! enjoy your holiday. Summer after year 11 was the best time of my life!

sixth form is meant to prepare you for university; you don't get spoon fed with information and so it ultimately makes you a better student

Quick Reply