The Student Room Group

What if I never meet someone like him again?

I know that there have probably been loads of threads made like this, but oh well. Basically, the last few weeks I met a boy that I really liked, and who liked me back, and we had a short relationship. He's the first boyfriend I've ever had, and he was just so sweet and lovely, and he was similar to me, kind of reserved but not overly shy. I spent most of my time each day with him, but I live in London whilst he lives in Glasgow, so we kind of agreed that the distance wouldn't work, and that our relationship would only be for a short amount of time. Anyway, at home now I just really miss him and I keep thinking about him. I know I've just got to move on and look at it as a happy memory. I'm worried that I'll never meet someone again who likes me as much as I like them, and who I connect with. :frown:

Any advice on how to move on? How long do you reckon it'll take before I stop feeling like this? I know it probably sounds like I'm being overly dramatic, but oh well. Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
I know that there have probably been loads of threads made like this, but oh well. Basically, the last few weeks I met a boy that I really liked, and who liked me back, and we had a short relationship. He's the first boyfriend I've ever had, and he was just so sweet and lovely, and he was similar to me, kind of reserved but not overly shy. I spent most of my time each day with him, but I live in London whilst he lives in Glasgow, so we kind of agreed that the distance wouldn't work, and that our relationship would only be for a short amount of time. Anyway, at home now I just really miss him and I keep thinking about him. I know I've just got to move on and look at it as a happy memory. I'm worried that I'll never meet someone again who likes me as much as I like them, and who I connect with. :frown:

Any advice on how to move on? How long do you reckon it'll take before I stop feeling like this? I know it probably sounds like I'm being overly dramatic, but oh well. Thanks.

Ok.
First thing, you say it probably sounds like you are being over dramatic. You put that there because subconsciously you feel that you are being over dramatic.

You have figured out you can connect with one person which is great. Scientificly, if you do something once, you can replicate it.

How long the feeling will last is down to you. If you keep thinking about it, it will last longer.

To move on, how do you think would be suitable for you to move on? Do something that you enjoy and makes you happy.
Reply 2
You can find that same closeness with someone else. I'm sure you can think of examples of people who've found love again.

It isn't even about their personality either. You can meet a wonderful person who isn't right for you romantically. Focus on your feelings and not what the other is like personality-wise. There are more people of good character than you think. Love is a feeling. Those memories you have of that guy have become more sentimentalised and you'll see it in such a way until you are over him.

To get over it focus on you...but find real happiness and value in your life. Don't put on a happy façade. Make sure that you're able to work through your feelings properly.
Reply 3
Original post by Ben_LiveYourDreams
Ok.
First thing, you say it probably sounds like you are being over dramatic. You put that there because subconsciously you feel that you are being over dramatic.

You have figured out you can connect with one person which is great. Scientificly, if you do something once, you can replicate it.

How long the feeling will last is down to you. If you keep thinking about it, it will last longer.

To move on, how do you think would be suitable for you to move on? Do something that you enjoy and makes you happy.

Thanks for the advice! It's not necessarily that I feel I'm being over dramatic, it's that I think that other people will judge me for being so. I just keep thinking about him though, even when I'm trying to concentrate on other stuff. I guess maybe I should just let myself miss him. I'll eventually slip back into normal routine again I guess. I'm just scared that noone will ever like me again... :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the advice! It's not necessarily that I feel I'm being over dramatic, it's that I think that other people will judge me for being so. I just keep thinking about him though, even when I'm trying to concentrate on other stuff. I guess maybe I should just let myself miss him. I'll eventually slip back into normal routine again I guess. I'm just scared that noone will ever like me again... :s-smilie:

If you think other people will judge you, again, chances are is because if someone said what you posted to you, you would percieve them as being over dramatic :P.

You choose what you think about.

And if one person liked you, why would you think that others will not do the same?
Hey, I was sort of in your position recently. Met someone amazing, then they moved away. Time makes it better, but I remember the first few weeks afterwards being really sad, listening to depressing music on repeat but I then threw myself into other things like hobbies and having time alone really helped. Then I threw myself back into the dating world and I've met loads of amazing people... none of whom is the same but dating is a numbers game really isn't it? The more you go on, the more likely that eventually you will run into 'someone like him' again.
Reply 6
Plenty more fish in the sea, to turn a phrase.

But, if after time, you feel like he is truly 'the one' then you can always try to win him back. At the end of the day, if he's 'the one', he's going to be worth fighting for and beating the distance for.

You just need to take time to figure out if you really believe that. If so, take a risk.

Quick Reply

Latest