The Student Room Group

What do I do about this girl? I still like her but is it too late now?

Okay I am a 23 year old male. Till the age of 18, I was painfully shy around women and still am, to an extent, though it is only initial shyness now and then I'm totally fine. When I was 16, I joined a new school and there was this girl in class who I instantly liked. She was going out with someone else at the time but towards the end of school, we started talking quite a bit(ONLY ONLINE) since I was too shy to carry out a conversation in person. Anyway, we talked so much and discovered that we had a lot in common and well I started to like her even more. However, i did not ask her out because I was shy/scared of rejection and ultimately we drifted out of touch once we went to university.
In the 5 years since then and now, I have had 2 girlfriends, but am single at the moment, having broken up with the second girl about 8 months ago. When I was dating the first girl, I just happened to talk to this crush of mine on Facebook and I confessed that I had liked her in school. Her reply was 'Well so did I, but I'm happy you're dating and happy now'. That was it.
I've recently added her on Facebook again(she is in Australia now but is moving back in a couple of months), she looks so beautiful now. I've realised I still do love her, she was the first girl I loved and I want to be with her. Do I just confess it all to her? From what I can tell, she is single. We have talked a bit since I added her but it's all been a bit 'hello what have you been doing all these years?' kind of chat and she doesn't come online much.
Reply 1
You have to remember that it's unlikely she's the same person at 23 as she was at 16/18.
Original post by jtnf
You have to remember that it's unlikely she's the same person at 23 as she was at 16/18.

I absolutely know that. Also, as I've mentioned in the post, I've changed quite a bit too. However, the things we had in common, we're still going to have them now as well. I thought I'd send this exact message to her, a bit reworded of course, reminding her what I feel about her but at the same time letting her know that we should meet first when she's back and see how things work out.
Good idea?
Reply 3
Original post by wannabeartist89
I absolutely know that. Also, as I've mentioned in the post, I've changed quite a bit too. However, the things we had in common, we're still going to have them now as well. I thought I'd send this exact message to her, a bit reworded of course, reminding her what I feel about her but at the same time letting her know that we should meet first when she's back and see how things work out.
Good idea?

What's the message you're gonna send her?
Original post by jtnf
What's the message you're gonna send her?

What I've written in the opening post....a female friend of mine told me it's 'very romantic', what I've written
Reply 5
What I've written in the opening post....a female friend of mine told me it's 'very romantic', what I've written

I'd say go for it! You need to know where you stand with her :smile: what have you got to lose? You've only got something to gain. Good Luck!
Original post by bethm95
I'd say go for it! You need to know where you stand with her :smile: what have you got to lose? You've only got something to gain. Good Luck!

What I've got to lose:
1.) Crushing disappointment if she says no
2.) A bit less disappointment but still envy and disappointment if she's seeing someone else
3.) Shock and horror if she's turned lesbian
4.) Her blocking me from Facebook and all social networks if she gets freaked out
BUT...

Got a lot more to gain if she says yes :smile:
Reply 7

I don't find it very romantic in the way you've written it here. The whole you were the first girl I loved, I still have feelings for you thing is lovely though :smile:
Original post by jtnf
I don't find it very romantic in the way you've written it here. The whole you were the first girl I loved, I still have feelings for you thing is lovely though :smile:

Well I did say I'll reword it :smile:
Reply 9
What I've got to lose:
1.) Crushing disappointment if she says no
2.) A bit less disappointment but still envy and disappointment if she's seeing someone else
3.) Shock and horror if she's turned lesbian
4.) Her blocking me from Facebook and all social networks if she gets freaked out
BUT...

Got a lot more to gain if she says yes :smile:

I understand your point but like you said, you have a lot more to gain. You don't want to miss your chance again
Reply 10
Well I did say I'll reword it :smile:

In that case, good luck and I hope you get your girl :smile:
Original post by jtnf
In that case, good luck and I hope you get your girl :smile:

This may sound weird and you're welcome to say no, but could I pm you with what I plan to message her? :P, tell me how it sounds
Reply 12
This may sound weird and you're welcome to say no, but could I pm you with what I plan to message her? :P, tell me how it sounds

Yeah, course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest