The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Freshers at Strathclyde University 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alaska.
I don't think you're missing out on too much atm - it is rather empty atm and people seem to be a lot more shy than here on TSR! Well done on being strong - I had to give up about 1 year and a half ago :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

I quit using FB couple of months ago. It's really tempting to go back especially now that I'm moving to another country, but there are other ways to keep in contact with my mates.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 21
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Yes I joined the group this morning. After I read about it on this thread :wink: Not that many people yet. But it should be helpful once I find out what accommodation I got. Are you on there too?

At least yours is on the way.. you'll get it soon enough.
Waiting is truly driving me crazy. I'm worrying that I'm going to be rejected even after I met my offer or that something is wrong with my documents when I send them in. I will have two weeks after my final grade for them to sort it out and change my status to unconditional. I won't have time to change anything or have it translated. Also, I hope they'd email me stuff, because postal mail is soo damn slow.

Yes, waiting is the worst part! Oh I hope so that everything will work out for you! I sent in everything via postal mail... But I suppose they're receiving most of the stuff these days and this is why it takes a little longer to change people's statuses... By the end there will be less responses so they will doing it quicker!
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Yeah I joined the group yesterday after hearing about it on this thread too. I think it will be really useful for hearing about freshers events and finding potential coursemates once people start posting stuff on it. Seeing as I'll be commuting from home, I won't need to use it for accommodation purposes. You looking forward to September?

So do you live with your parents in/near Glasgow? Aren't you bummed that you won't be in student halls? I really liked the idea of living with lots of students, but I guess commuting is cheaper.

Original post by steph.b
Yes, waiting is the worst part! Oh I hope so that everything will work out for you! I sent in everything via postal mail... But I suppose they're receiving most of the stuff these days and this is why it takes a little longer to change people's statuses... By the end there will be less responses so they will doing it quicker!

I sure hope they will get to my thing quickly. It would be nice to be sure I have an unconditional place at Strathclyde and accommodation before freshers :wink:
Reply 23
I wish I was 1st year student again :biggrin: I bet it's going to be an awesome year for you all!
I'm Claire! :smile:
I live in Scotland, but about 60 miles out from Glasgow, but I kind of know my way around Glasgow city centre... a little!

I'm 17 and will be studying management and economics in the business school, yaay! xD
I've got my offer for James Goold Hall! :biggrin:

I've just sent a request to join the facebook group, so will probably here more from you all on there!
Original post by FinnLassie
This is maybe the first time I'm a tad annoyed I'm not on facebook :tongue: But ah well all the info about Freshers week will be added to the Union website as well so I don't have to worry missing out on something phaha.

it'll probably all be posted on here anyway hehe! :biggrin:
Original post by alaska.
Oh btw, I'll better introduce myself: My name's Sibylle and I am 20 years old (will turn 21 in July though). I will start a Business degree at SBS in September :smile: Are there any other prospective Business students out there?

well theres me! but we've had some conversations on other threads before :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Original post by imonlylittle
well theres me! but we've had some conversations on other threads before :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah, I know there's you! :biggrin: But it might be nice if we get some more potential coursemates to join us! :smile: I am so jealous you've got everything sorted already :colondollar:
Reply 28
Original post by alaska.
Haha, yeah, I know there's you! :biggrin: But it might be nice if we get some more potential coursemates to join us! :smile: I am so jealous you've got everything sorted already :colondollar:

At least you have your status changed to unconditional...:colondollar:
Original post by alaska.

well there seems to be a few on the fb page at least :biggrin:
haha eep well mostly organised, need to buy a lot of stuff xD you'll get there eventually hehe... what you got left to organise? :smile:
Reply 30
well there seems to be a few on the fb page at least :biggrin:
haha eep well mostly organised, need to buy a lot of stuff xD you'll get there eventually hehe... what you got left to organise? :smile:

Haha, I started making a list of clothes, shoes etc. but I guesd there will be loads of stuff I didn't think about :biggrin:
I still have to order a giffgaff sim for my phone, still waiting for SAAS and their occupancy agreeement. Also, I guess I will open up a bank account in August ( possibly RBS?). But I will have to buy lots of notepads and stationery (I hate it when I start courses and I won't have it organised!). Just so happy that shops are open on the Sunday I arrive (everything is closed in Germany on Sundays!). What kind of stuff are you still missing? :h:
Original post by alaska.
Haha, I started making a list of clothes, shoes etc. but I guesd there will be loads of stuff I didn't think about :biggrin:
I still have to order a giffgaff sim for my phone, still waiting for SAAS and their occupancy agreeement. Also, I guess I will open up a bank account in August ( possibly RBS?). But I will have to buy lots of notepads and stationery (I hate it when I start courses and I won't have it organised!). Just so happy that shops are open on the Sunday I arrive (everything is closed in Germany on Sundays!). What kind of stuff are you still missing? :h:

Oh dear, i'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually! Ones SAAS comes back to you and you get your occupancy agreement it'll be all fine, least you'll get to relax from it :smile:
I havent had any confirmation from SAAS either, and I sent away my thing ages ago :frown: its a bit frustrating...
Aw I went to go see about getting a student account at halifax bank of scotland, but you have to be 18 so I have to wait :frown: a lot of banks have offers to get you to come to them, like travel cards and stuff, its quite good, its worth looking around :smile:
I need lots of stationary and stuff too, nothing better than starting a fresh notebook hehe, maybe thats just me being weird :rolleyes:
Also lots of stuff for the kitchen, like cooking utensils and pots and pans etc... but I can get all that relatively cheap, IKEA comes in handy xD
have you got flights booked then?
Hi, my name's Rosanna, I'm 17 and I'm coming to Strathclyde in September to study Naval Architecture :smile: I've applied to Thomas Cambell and James Goold but haven't heard anything yet.

Oh dear, i'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually! Ones SAAS comes back to you and you get your occupancy agreement it'll be all fine, least you'll get to relax from it :smile:
I havent had any confirmation from SAAS either, and I sent away my thing ages ago :frown: its a bit frustrating...
Aw I went to go see about getting a student account at halifax bank of scotland, but you have to be 18 so I have to wait :frown: a lot of banks have offers to get you to come to them, like travel cards and stuff, its quite good, its worth looking around :smile:
I need lots of stationary and stuff too, nothing better than starting a fresh notebook hehe, maybe thats just me being weird :rolleyes:
Also lots of stuff for the kitchen, like cooking utensils and pots and pans etc... but I can get all that relatively cheap, IKEA comes in handy xD
have you got flights booked then?

I'm with Bank of Scotland, they're pretty good, and you can get an added overdraft if your a student.

Gotta a love a good ikea trip :biggrin:

Anyone applying to any scholarships/bursaries ?
Original post by moustacheodbandit
Hi, my name's Rosanna, I'm 17 and I'm coming to Strathclyde in September to study Naval Architecture :smile: I've applied to Thomas Cambell and James Goold but haven't heard anything yet.

I'm with Bank of Scotland, they're pretty good, and you can get an added overdraft if your a student.

yay, another under ager! xD
take it you'll have to wait until you're 18 like me to get a student account then? :frown: when do you turn 18? :smile:)
haha yeah I made a shopping list and everything, got lots to get hehe! im so sad :rolleyes:
Other than saas bursary no...A lot of the ones that I could have applied for needed to be sent away really early, and so by the time I heard about any of them it was too late to bother :frown: I take it you are?
Reply 34
Hi!!! :smile: I'm Gintare from Lithuania, I'll be studying international business. yeyyy ^^ SBS, I'm coming! And I am 19 years old, by the way. I just got my Brandos Atestatas and sent it with IELTS certificate by email to admissions office. I hope I get Unconditional today or tomorrow and then an offer for accommodation. Hope to meet you all in September :J
Original post by KiaraMarissa
So do you live with your parents in/near Glasgow? Aren't you bummed that you won't be in student halls? I really liked the idea of living with lots of students, but I guess commuting is cheaper.

Yeah I still live at home with my parents. Tbh it doesn't bother me that I won't be living in halks and will be commuting instead because everyone I know who lives nearby/went to my school and go to Glasgow, Strathclyde or Caley uni also commute! :smile: Hopefully, as long as I make an effort to talk to people during Freahers and in lectures etc I won't end up a wee loner! :wink:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Yeah I still live at home with my parents. Tbh it doesn't bother me that I won't be living in halks and will be commuting instead because everyone I know who lives nearby/went to my school and go to Glasgow, Strathclyde or Caley uni also commute! :smile: Hopefully, as long as I make an effort to talk to people during Freahers and in lectures etc I won't end up a wee loner! :wink:

I guess it's different for you because you will already know a lot of people. I literally won't know anyone, so hopefully I'll meet a lot of people in halls.
I'm sure you won't be a loner as long as you make an effort to meet lots of people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by moustacheodbandit

Did you decide to go with Bank of Scotland for a reason? Or did it just come handy because friends or family were with them? I really try to figure out which one might be the best for me.
Reply 38
I'm probably going to join Clydesdale Bank because they don't charge anything from transactions that come from foreign (well, at least EU) banks. RBS charges like 10 quid if I remember correctly.
Original post by FinnLassie
I'm probably going to join Clydesdale Bank because they don't charge anything from transactions that come from foreign (well, at least EU) banks. RBS charges like 10 quid if I remember correctly.

RBS won't charge you when you pay by card in Scotland right? I think they'll only charge you if you use your Scottish card in Europe. I'm keeping a Dutch bank account to use when I'm in Holland and for the Dutch government to put my student bursary on.

Quick Reply