The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hmmyes
Thanks for the replies. I started on 6.40 yes, and I am in the Bureaux de change if that makes a difference? I did some online tests, and went for a brief training session where I answered some questions but nothing more. Since starting I have just been working away and done several weeks with loads of over time as I was needed. Maybe because I have picked up the ropes fairly quickly..?

its normal to get the payrise as soon as you've been accredited, i.e. finished your training and been signed off by the coaches. For GM and Foods this means completing your coaching cards (basically running through all the things you need to know for your role and getting signed off by a coach) and I imagine the training you've had for the Bureau is the same thing
hi, guys. i had an interview on a wednesday (13th) and been succesful, then i have been offered few jobs that have suit my hours and signed few papers. they said that they will be back to me by the end of the week (17th) but i havent heard from them since. should I ring them or just patiently wait? i worry///:frown:
I would wait until Wednesday & then give them a call. If they're anything like they are our store they're very disorganised!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Have an assesment interview thing. Any tips or advice. Also how hard is role play/ what is it like?
can someone tell me which page to go on so that i can see the post about all the possible roleplays please?

thanks
About 90% of this thread is about the interview/role-play, I read or skim read most of them, it's so helpful!

I had an interview for Marks and Spencers today which I passed. There was no vacancies available though and I was told to keep checking their website to see if there is jobs available in my area and to call them. Does this mean I need to do another interview if I find a vacancy?
Does anybody know whether you get the staff discount card through the post like the online code or do you have to ask for it?
Original post by laurenburns12
I had an interview for Marks and Spencers today which I passed. There was no vacancies available though and I was told to keep checking their website to see if there is jobs available in my area and to call them. Does this mean I need to do another interview if I find a vacancy?

No if you find a vacancy ring up the store and say you recently passed the roleplay and they should consider you. One thing i hated about them was the fatc there was no deadline date so it was first come first serve so once a vacancy is up it could be gone after an hour.
Original post by thatgirlfran
Does anybody know whether you get the staff discount card through the post like the online code or do you have to ask for it?

The hr should tell you to collect your card from the office and you'll get a letter too explaining how the card should be used.
Hey guys I worked for M&S 6 months ago around as an xmas temp. I've applied for another temp job at M&S this summer and cos I worked for them recently I was fast tracked into a short informal interview. I think it went well and the interviewer said she would ring me to confirm whether i've got the job or not. The interview was last tuesday but they were doing more interviews the next day. I remember they took a while to tell me whether i'd got the job or not last time, but it's been over a week and i haven't heard anything. How long did it take you guys to hear back from M&S? Do they only inform you if you are succesful in the interview? Am I just overreacting? Thanks
Reply 2811
Hi I also have an interview at Marks + Spencer, does anyone have any tips or advive? All advice is much appreciated thanks :smile:
Reply 2812
Original post by Londonpie72
I have worked there for over 4 years if anyone has questions ask me will try to respond.

Also if you are offered the share save scheme try and do it if you can, I did it from 2008- Jan 2012 and it's one of the best decisions I have made.

Hi I have an interview at M+S, I had an interview there last year and was unsuccessful have you got any advice or tips? What should I expect? Thankyou
Original post by SorayaA
Hi I also have an interview at Marks + Spencer, does anyone have any tips or advive? All advice is much appreciated thanks :smile:

Definately skim read this thread! It's so comprehensive, I read it before my interview so I knew what to expect and I got the job, still here 9 months on! Good luck :smile:

Original post by SorayaA
Hi I have an interview at M+S, I had an interview there last year and was unsuccessful have you got any advice or tips? What should I expect? Thankyou

Congratulations on getting this far. The process might have changed since i went through the application process in 2007. What I will say is at M&S Customer service is very important so make emphasis on proving customer with excellent shopping experience for example if someone asked where an item is not just there but the staff takes the customer to where the product is.

dress smart and arrive in good time, do not discuss wages.

If you have any experience bring it up for example my year 10 work experience I completed at my local M&S so I breifly spoke about this.

Also when I went for the interview was in college but during the interview I said I was highly flexible as it was summer holidays and when college started I then discussed my hours with my line manager so come across as flexible.

Check on the internet to know facts about M&S e.g. their market share I mentioned something about product ranges and how they owned % of the sandwich market stuff like that in an interview shows that you are passionate about M&S. even skimming through their annual report with give you an edge

Hope this help and good luck with your interview.
Reply 2815
Ive got a interveiw next week and ive read up about the roleplay, but does anybody whos had a interveiw know about the other types of questions they mite ask you? im guessing maybe something along the lines of why do you want to work here ?
Hi :smile: I have an interview tomorrow with M&S. I've read most of this thread and I'm a bit worried because I applied assuming it was a temporary job over summer, but the contracts people have mentioned seem to be for several months. I am probably going to uni at the end of September so can only work for just over two months. Should I tell them this at the interview?

I also can't find my national insurance card (although I do know the number). Is it essential I bring it to the interview or will my passport, driver's license and the number be enough?

Original post by WingardiumLeviosa
Hi :smile: I have an interview tomorrow with M&S. I've read most of this thread and I'm a bit worried because I applied assuming it was a temporary job over summer, but the contracts people have mentioned seem to be for several months. I am probably going to uni at the end of September so can only work for just over two months. Should I tell them this at the interview?

I also can't find my national insurance card (although I do know the number). Is it essential I bring it to the interview or will my passport, driver's license and the number be enough?

I would mention it because most (but not all) contracts seem to be 16 weeks... And I would think you do need the card because they take the number off the card. Good luck though :smile:

Original post by WingardiumLeviosa

let them know about uni, but it may not be a problem as i've had two temp contracts that ran just from july-september.

you'll definitely need proof of your NI number, just knowing it isnt enough. But they'll accept an old payslip, p45 etc not just the card
thanks for the help!

I got through the role play and interview (had the sofa one) and then the NI card was a problem. Luckily I went home and found it down the back of a chest of drawers.

They didn't seem to mind about uni, said that I'd simply have to resign from the contract and there would be no hard feelings (e.g. a bad reference or being banned working at m&s)

So it all worked out in the end and I have a job. this thread was so helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending