The Student Room Group

'Teaching Hospitals' that train you as a doctor and need no UCAS submission?

Some family contacts of mine said they know people (within the past 3 years and in the UK) who managed to get into a teaching hospital course merely by handing in their CV and getting accepted.

Admittedly they had already degrees in biochemistry/similar subjects and were working within the healthcare industry (though not as a doctor, obviously) - but a CV was all they handed in to get accepted. No UCAS, no GAMSAT/UKCAT.

I told them this was impossible, otherwise there wouldn't be forums like TSR existing where prospective students agonize over their medical applications. But they were adamant.

Do courses such as this exist? And where?
Reply 1
Original post by cactus_farmer
Some family contacts of mine said they know people (within the past 3 years and in the UK) who managed to get into a teaching hospital course merely by handing in their CV and getting accepted.

Admittedly they had already degrees in biochemistry/similar subjects and were working within the healthcare industry (though not as a doctor, obviously) - but a CV was all they handed in to get accepted. No UCAS, no GAMSAT/UKCAT.

I told them this was impossible, otherwise there wouldn't be forums like TSR existing where prospective students agonize over their medical applications. But they were adamant.

No, no they do not.

You can't just hand in a CV and become a doctor, you have to train and gain a medical degree. You can hand in a CV and gain a healthcare role and then apply for graduate entry in a stronger position but you still need your MB ChB/MBBS etc. or else everyone would just stick a CV in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by -Simon-
No, no they do not.

You can't just hand in a CV and become a doctor, you have to train and gain a medical degree. You can hand in a CV and gain a healthcare role and then apply for graduate entry in a stronger position but you still need your MB ChB/MBBS etc. or else everyone would just stick a CV in.

You mis-understand - they are just sticking in their CV's and gaining access to medical training in order to get the qualification.

Not sticking in their CV's and being handed the qualification without the training, haha.
You mis-understand - they are just sticking in their CV's and gaining access to medical training in order to get the qualification.

Not sticking in their CV's and being handed the qualification without the training, haha.

You cannot gain training directly through hospitals through a CV -- the only way to obtain a medical degree in this country is to apply to Universities through UCAS.
Reply 4

I attempted to make both clear. You need a degree (MBBS etc.) to become a doctor. Medical Schools (attached to universities) have the ability to give this degree, hospitals do not.

Therefore, you become a doctor by going to Medical School...not hospital.

Somebody's been watching House MD too much. At Princeton Plainsboro TEACHING HOSPITAL the students still have to go to medical school and get a medical degree from university. A teaching hospital just means that some placements for people doing a medical degree are taught in hospitals away from the university labs to get experience of what working in a hospital is like. These people go to university and are studying for a medical degree. You can't just apply to a teaching hospital and become a doctor.

The people you're talking about who just hand in CVs are probably applying to be lab technicians, radiographers etc, not doctors. Even then they'll have to have a university degree in something like biochemistry or radiology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Is this people with foreign medical degrees already?
Reply 7

As -Simon- below correctly states, teaching hospitals can't award medical degrees, only medical schools (universities) can. You need a medical degree to become a doctor, therefore you need to go to medical school.
Reply 8
No. This doesn't happen here ........or anywhere as far as I know :erm: :holmes:

The only way to become a doctor is to go to Medical School and study for a degree then do work based training after. :work:

If only it was that easy as handing in your CV to a local hospital with a cover letter then getting a stethoscope :laugh: :rolleyes:
Reply 9

They may work as a hospital, or even be studying to be a 'doctor' (as in, get a PhD, in biochemistry or similar). They will not be training to be a doctor of medicine though.

Sounds like bull****.
Reply 11
What the **** is this ****?
Reply 12
:facepalm:

Well unless your family contacts were around in the 18th century, you should inform them that apprenticeships in medicine died out quite some time ago :wink:
Ignore these guys OP ^^. They clearly don't know what they're on about.

I couldn't get into medical school, so I opted for the route you are thinking of. I compiled a CV with all of my achievements to date (BA*D at A-level, Experienced butcher, Pickpocket level 100) and handed it in at my local teaching hospital. After a few days I was invited for an interview where I was assessed as 'rash, lazy, easily distracted' and was paid £77 a month.
Reply 15
The only other way of working in a hospital in a similar manner to doctors without having graduated from a medical school, is to become a Santa's little helper*. They do a 3 or so year diploma (?) and then, so far as I can tell, do a few basic FY1 level jobs such as clerking in patients, doing bloods etc. This is maybe what you're thinking of.

*They aren't actually called that, but the name eludes me right now.

Edit: They're called Physician Assistants
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply