The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 861
I was hoping that someone on this thread could help me by giving me some suggestions.

I'm looking to get a netbook to take to university. I have a good laptop that will serve as my main computer the only problem with it is that it is very heavy and I found that during exam period and close to deadlines when I carried it to and from the library a lot it was a pain. Obviously this wasn't to much of a problem as it was restricted to certain times but this year with living off campus I planned to spend the time inbetween lectures in the libary as I wouldn't be able to travel home easily like I could living in halls. Because of this I was thinking about buying a netbook that would be convenient to carry around.

As I have a computer already the only thing it will really be required to do is internet browsing and word processing, perhaps some excel. So it being a good computer isn't important my main priorities are it being as light and cheap as possible.

also I see on the pc world and other stores websites that there are options to buy refurbished ones. would this be a good idea? are they reliable and refurbished well or is it a bit hit and miss?
Original post by boba
I was hoping that someone on this thread could help me by giving me some suggestions.

I'm looking to get a netbook to take to university. I have a good laptop that will serve as my main computer the only problem with it is that it is very heavy and I found that during exam period and close to deadlines when I carried it to and from the library a lot it was a pain. Obviously this wasn't to much of a problem as it was restricted to certain times but this year with living off campus I planned to spend the time inbetween lectures in the libary as I wouldn't be able to travel home easily like I could living in halls. Because of this I was thinking about buying a netbook that would be convenient to carry around.

As I have a computer already the only thing it will really be required to do is internet browsing and word processing, perhaps some excel. So it being a good computer isn't important my main priorities are it being as light and cheap as possible.

also I see on the pc world and other stores websites that there are options to buy refurbished ones. would this be a good idea? are they reliable and refurbished well or is it a bit hit and miss?

If refurbs come with a warranty and has good specs than why not, a decent netbook would set you back under £250, have a look on ebuyer, dabs, laptopsdirect and saveonlaptops :smile:

Yes it is

Lenovo IdeaPad G570 Laptop
1 review
- Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5GHz
- 6GB RAM + 750GB HDD
- 15.6" HD + Blu Ray Player
- Webcam + Bluetooth
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Do you really need blu ray?

Because with the other spec's you can get a cheaper alternative
Reply 865
Original post by Iqbal007
Yes it is

Lenovo IdeaPad G570 Laptop
1 review
- Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5GHz
- 6GB RAM + 750GB HDD
- 15.6" HD + Blu Ray Player
- Webcam + Bluetooth
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Do you really need blu ray?

Because with the other spec's you can get a cheaper alternative

Why is this so cheap? http://www.ebuyer.com/271936-acer-ethos-5951g-laptop-lx-rgz02-050?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

Not sure, but my opinion would be that Acer have had issues of overheating with their laptops, hence why you see so many Acers with high specs for around £500. To get an Acer wouldn't necessarily mean you'll get that issue.
Reply 867
I'll be doing computer science in September. I presume that I will be taking my laptop with me to class, or will maybe an ipad be engough for some lectures?
Also, what is the best choice for around £1000? Is it possible to buy a high end laptop with a 17'' screen that is not that heavy for that money?
Original post by thealpz
I'll be doing computer science in September. I presume that I will be taking my laptop with me to class, or will maybe an ipad be engough for some lectures?
Also, what is the best choice for around £1000? Is it possible to buy a high end laptop with a 17'' screen that is not that heavy for that money?

Computer science barely pushes your computer to be fair, so an i3 with 4gb of ram will do.
But it depends on the things you want to use it for like gaming or editing, etc
Wondering what weight is considered light enough to carry around, (kg's?)
Reply 870
about 3-3,5 kg
I want a well build laptop, that will probably be used for some light gaming and for course needs.
Original post by thealpz
about 3-3,5 kg
I want a well build laptop, that will probably be used for some light gaming and for course needs.

press quote on the person your going to reply to, so they know someone's replying.

What kind of games?
Reply 872
press quote on the person your going to reply to, so they know someone's replying.

What kind of games?

I would like to be able to play newer games, on low/med details...
Battlefield, GTA V and stuff like that.
But If I have to chose between portability and gaming, I would choose portability.
I am just curious is there a good compromise
Original post by thealpz
about 3-3,5 kg

me too. I want one for word/excel/powerpoint a few games online and perhaps some youtube videos.
Reply 874
Original post by ...mo...
Wondering what weight is considered light enough to carry around, (kg's?)

my laptop is just under 3kg and I hate carrying it around and it makes my shoulder hurt
Original post by thealpz
I would like to be able to play newer games, on low/med details...
Battlefield, GTA V and stuff like that.
But If I have to chose between portability and gaming, I would choose portability.
I am just curious is there a good compromise

BF3 is a really intense game, not sure about GTA V as system requirements aren't out, from what I hear it won't be out for a while.
What do you think is a good weight for your laptop?
Reply 876
BF3 is a really intense game, not sure about GTA V as system requirements aren't out, from what I hear it won't be out for a while.
What do you think is a good weight for your laptop?

Around 3 kg. Is it possible to have a good portable laptop that will be able to run games like that for 1000 pounds?
Original post by thealpz
Around 3 kg. Is it possible to have a good portable laptop that will be able to run games like that for 1000 pounds?

I found one, Samsung, 3.05kg, latest i7, blu-ray, 17" screen and GT650, which I checked up and it certainly does.

http://www.ebuyer.com/387594-samsung-550p7c-laptop-np550p7c-s02uk
under £900

http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+AKOYA%C2%AE+P6815+15.6%22+Laptop+%28MD98059%29/30013983A1?category=notebook_15&recId=&wt_mc=gb.intern.m-shop.pro-pla.on-ma&wt_cc1=m-shop_topseller_notebook-1-links&wt_cc2=30013983A1&wt_cw=30.2.8&utm_source=Internetseite-intern&utm_medium=Kachel&utm_content=notebook_1-links&utm_campaign=Kategoriekachel-Hotspots&utm_term=30013983A1

This is a good price, though not sure about customer service.
2.5kg
Original post by boba
my laptop is just under 3kg and I hate carrying it around and it makes my shoulder hurt

Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't have to carry it far. Is it because you have to carry your laptop with your books aswell or it the laptop that is heavy.

If you were to start first year again would you still buy:
the same laptop
A lighter therefore more expensive laptop
A netbook
or use pen and paper
Reply 879
Hello. I need urgent help in choosing what kind of laptop I should buy. I do not need a laptop which has the newest programmes or what not. My main concerns are being able to work on Microsoft and using a fast internet. If the laptop provides me this, I do not mind taking a look at it. Hence my price range is £150-400. It does not need to be portable, as the usage will mainly take part at home.

I appreciate any help given :smile:

Latest