The Student Room Group

dislike midwives

Hello all,

I may be wrong and I know you cannot generalise- but I get the vibe that medical students dont like student midwives/qualified midwives.

Why is this?

:smile: xxx
Original post by nmagnolia
Hello all,

I may be wrong and I know you cannot generalise- but I get the vibe that medical students dont like student midwives/qualified midwives.

Why is this?

:smile: xxx

Might be worth you reading the posts from this one onwards for the next two pages related to Obs/Gynae placements. It was discussed very recently.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1943389&page=136&p=38469179#post38469179
Reply 2
Thanks for the link....the way some of you have been treated does seem very unfair. Ive never been around when a med student has been ''introduced'' but I can imagine what has been posted occuring. What you have said does ring true for a large percentage of qualified midwives.

How many deliveries does a med student need to have/witness ?? x
Reply 3
Thanks for the link....the way some of you have been treated does seem very unfair. Ive never been around when a med student has been ''introduced'' but I can imagine what has been posted occuring. What you have said does ring true for a large percentage of qualified midwives.

How many deliveries does a med student need to have/witness ?? x

There is a thread about these experiences that has been going on for eleven years with >3000 posts in it, so these are common themes :wink:

Some tips from the medical side!

1.) Give medical students a break. We need to see a certain number of deliveries (like 8). That's all. We only have a few weeks to do this, whereas you guys have 3 years. It is important for us to be able to manage a woman in labour as a doctor, the public would be reasonable to expect it. We aren't interested in stealing your show, really.

2.) The whole 'woman/client' thing is another bugbear. Yes, we know pregnancy and labour is a natural process but clouding the terminology in BS is just cringey. It doesn't mean we don't respect the patient any less by calling them a patient, we wouldn't be doing medicine if we didn't.

3.) It's not 'call the peed', it's ' call the paediatrician/neonatologist'
Reply 4
Original post by digitalis
There is a thread about these experiences that has been going on for eleven years with >3000 posts in it, so these are common themes :wink:

Some tips from the medical side!

1.) Give medical students a break. We need to see a certain number of deliveries (like 8). That's all. We only have a few weeks to do this, whereas you guys have 3 years. It is important for us to be able to manage a woman in labour as a doctor, the public would be reasonable to expect it. We aren't interested in stealing your show, really.

2.) The whole 'woman/client' thing is another bugbear. Yes, we know pregnancy and labour is a natural process but clouding the terminology in BS is just cringey. It doesn't mean we don't respect the patient any less by calling them a patient, we wouldn't be doing medicine if we didn't.

3.) It's not 'call the peed', it's ' call the paediatrician/neonatologist'

lol!!! okay, tips taken :smile: thanks x
Reply 5
lol!!! okay, tips taken :smile: thanks x

I like you! :smile:
As a parent of a hopeful med student and a midwife myself within the peninsula med school area I would like to think I'm doing my bit to get the med students the experience they need.

"This is X, he/she's a med student working with me today" is my standard introduction. Generally the women are quite happy to have a med student observe their care in my experience, but I think that the way you are introduced is crucial
Reply 7
Original post by Pellertheheller
As a parent of a hopeful med student and a midwife myself within the peninsula med school area I would like to think I'm doing my bit to get the med students the experience they need.

"This is X, he/she's a med student working with me today" is my standard introduction. Generally the women patients (:argh:) are quite happy to have a med student observe their care in my experience, but I think that the way you are introduced is crucial

Apart from that, thank you for doing that! I am sure they really appreciate it. Even more would be delivering the kid, rather than observing too.
I had a medical student at the birth of my twins. He cried more than their dad did!
Reply 9
Original post by select the right name
I had a medical student at the birth of my twins. He cried more than their dad did!

Aww bless! :smile: One of my friends would always break into tears in the delivery rooms...it was slightly awkward for the mums/mums-to-be (albeit hilarious for us)! :tongue:

Quick Reply