The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Starting Huddersfield In 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
im staying at snow island flat m8..studying operating department practice :smile: anybody else??
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Lovesuicide18
Hey guys!
I've been a fresher before at hudds uni (transferring courses and so I'm a fresher again this year!)
Last year the freshers of 2011 had a MASSIVE facebook group.. and I cannot tell you how much help it was for me and many other freshers, to get to know people before you start uni. It's a daunting time in your life and becoming good friends with people before you begin your new journey makes it so much less scary!
And so as of today I've made a new facebook group, for the freshers of 2012! Join, you won't regret it!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/317238345030854/

It may look empty now but believe me its gonna get big Just trying to publicise it as much as I can. You can now get info from me and other people who have been to hudds uni before and so can give you the most honest answers to your questions, as well as meeting new people when the group gets bigger.

So please help me out and join the group, you won't regret it! x

Hi, i know on the Facebook link you sent it says the freshers event starts the 15th September but ucas says the course start date is 24th September for me. So i was getting a bit confused to when i should be turning up. I obviously don't want to miss out on freshers week at all!
Original post by Jessica-Louise-x
Hi, i know on the Facebook link you sent it says the freshers event starts the 15th September but ucas says the course start date is 24th September for me. So i was getting a bit confused to when i should be turning up. I obviously don't want to miss out on freshers week at all!

Hiya the course starts on the 24th but the two move in days are the 15th and 16th so freshers should b I between :smile: I go confused as well

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Samantham00
Hiya the course starts on the 24th but the two move in days are the 15th and 16th so freshers should b I between :smile: I go confused as well

Ah thank you :smile: was getting so confused! How do you know the dates btw as other people who i have spoken to say that they are moving in on the 8th. Think i might email the uni tbh just so i know for definite
Reply 44
I left Huddersfield University last year, the teaching was very poor for my course, I didn't get much support and one teacher I had was always ill.. he'd come in, tell us what we had to do then go home sick and only give us assignments.. It was difficult to leave because they never answered emails either :smile:

Not saying everyone else had a bad time, but my personal experience was horrific...
Original post by Smedly
I left Huddersfield University last year, the teaching was very poor for my course, I didn't get much support and one teacher I had was always ill.. he'd come in, tell us what we had to do then go home sick and only give us assignments.. It was difficult to leave because they never answered emails either :smile:

Not saying everyone else had a bad time, but my personal experience was horrific...

thats pretty bad what course were you doing? are you up to anything new now?
Reply 46
Original post by Surfing_the_shine
thats pretty bad what course were you doing? are you up to anything new now?

I was doing a Programming Course in Canalside West.

I'm currently now studying at Leeds University doing History and a sub Teaching course which i'm enjoying alot :smile:

The story kind of went.. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but then things became difficult and I never knew what I was doing, I had to always ask for help because I had no idea what it meant, they basically sat me down and said "Now do this, here's your assignment" and I hadn't even learned 1 thing on how to use it. I know University by alot of people is for those who already know what they are doing but I didn't so I needed help which I did email them about. My personal tutor was very slow at emailing and just forwarded them to my head of course (Duke Gledhill) who was very helpful, but he was too busy to help me, he is a head afterall. Eventually it got the point where I was failing assignments and I just thought "Y'know what, this isn't me, i'm studying hard and they aren't helping me one bit" so I told him I wanted to leave and I did so.

My sister was doing nursing at Huddersfield aswell and she left also. I don't think Huddersfield is a bad university, I just think for certain courses, the support of students needs to be greater, or maybe it was just me not looking for the right help in the right places... I dunno, but happy days atm :smile: good luck to the rest of you, but just, if you need help make sure you demand it and make sure they do it lol :smile:
Original post by JoanneMinnie
I'm staying in Storthes Hall, so excited not for the cold showers though haha, is anyone studying Law in September? :smile:

Hi! I was just wondering, what was your offer for Law from Huddersfield?
Reply 48
Original post by Smedly

Which exact course/tutor was this? I'm going to be doing computer science at hud :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Smedly
I was doing a Programming Course in Canalside West.

I'm currently now studying at Leeds University doing History and a sub Teaching course which i'm enjoying alot :smile:

The story kind of went.. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but then things became difficult and I never knew what I was doing, I had to always ask for help because I had no idea what it meant, they basically sat me down and said "Now do this, here's your assignment" and I hadn't even learned 1 thing on how to use it. I know University by alot of people is for those who already know what they are doing but I didn't so I needed help which I did email them about. My personal tutor was very slow at emailing and just forwarded them to my head of course (Duke Gledhill) who was very helpful, but he was too busy to help me, he is a head afterall. Eventually it got the point where I was failing assignments and I just thought "Y'know what, this isn't me, i'm studying hard and they aren't helping me one bit" so I told him I wanted to leave and I did so.

oh my gosh that is really unfortunate! but at least you're happier now :wink:

My sister was doing nursing at Huddersfield aswell and she left also. I don't think Huddersfield is a bad university, I just think for certain courses, the support of students needs to be greater, or maybe it was just me not looking for the right help in the right places... I dunno, but happy days atm :smile: good luck to the rest of you, but just, if you need help make sure you demand it and make sure they do it lol :smile:

oh my....im going to do this course, and i chose it because of the high level of support that they offer so maybe times have changed:smile:
Original post by whattheheck
Hi! I was just wondering, what was your offer for Law from Huddersfield?

Hello, umm I think its 340 UCAS points so AAB but they accept AS grades and things like music exams and EPQ too, so that puts less pressure on for exams in a way.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
I'm going to study Travel & Tourism Management, anyone else doing the same course?
Where would you guys recommend to stay? I'm looking for the cheapest place and so far I found Ashenhurst Basic Room. Any opinions about this room?
Also, I didn't ask for the maintenance loan because I was hoping to find a job and this way pay for my rent, but have no idea if this will work out so I'm thinking now whether I didn't make a big mistake for not taking the maintenance loan and will have to sit with no money.
hey, guys! i also start a course at huddersfield university in 2012. i will study fashion communication and promotion, and from what i have read most of you will study at the art and design department, so we'll surely meet! i will stay at snow island.
Original post by dede_deea06
hey, guys! i also start a course at huddersfield university in 2012. i will study fashion communication and promotion, and from what i have read most of you will study at the art and design department, so we'll surely meet! i will stay at snow island.

hey, i'm currently in yr 12 & i'm interested in doing the degree your starting & hudders is currently my number 1 with Lincoln, Northumbria & Leeds. but i'm unsure whether to do a foundation first j/w if u did a foundation. i do spanish, geography, art & textiles at a level.
Reply 54
Hey guys I'm starting Pharmacy in 2012:biggrin: anyone else?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LauraEmilyT
hey, i'm currently in yr 12 & i'm interested in doing the degree your starting & hudders is currently my number 1 with Lincoln, Northumbria & Leeds. but i'm unsure whether to do a foundation first j/w if u did a foundation. i do spanish, geography, art & textiles at a level.

i finished high school (12th grade) in romania and i applied for this course, so i did no foundation. i did in high school my first language(romanian), history, geography and english. as far as i heard, huddersfield offers a great fashion communication and promotion program, among the best in uk; it's art and design department is pretty famous too, so i hope is a good choice. as far as the foundation is concerned, i can't tell you anything.
Original post by dede_deea06
i finished high school (12th grade) in romania and i applied for this course, so i did no foundation. i did in high school my first language(romanian), history, geography and english. as far as i heard, huddersfield offers a great fashion communication and promotion program, among the best in uk; it's art and design department is pretty famous too, so i hope is a good choice. as far as the foundation is concerned, i can't tell you anything.

Ah okay! Do u mind me asking what attracted u to hudders, was it the course or the town or? Seen as you're from Romania kind of like why Huddersfield! :biggrin:

I applied to this course through an agency from Romania, so when I chose the subject I wanted to study, they presentetd me several universities who offer this course. They said Hudd was the best uni from their portfolio that teaches this subject. the course has everything I am interested in, especially that the other courses from other universities didn't appeal to me that much, regarding the subjects you'll learn. i have to admit that hudd had an extra point from me because I have some very good friends of mine studying in bradford. i also like it because is not a big expensive city :biggrin:
Reply 58
I've got a conditional offer to study pharmacy *fingers crossed* i get my grades. I've booked an accomodation at snow Island :smile: flat K1 or so, not sure.I'm just excited.
Reply 59
Heyyy i'm starting logistiscs and supply chain,anyone else starting same major? and booked at storthes hall park

coming all the way from Egypt to finish my last year, hope it will be a nice year ^^

Quick Reply

Latest