The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2013

Poll

What is your predicted/achieved UCAS tariff?

Hey there isn't a thread for this yet, so anyone who's applying to barts for medicine 2013 can discuss stuff here! ill make a poll for ucas points when people get their results :smile: so who is applying this year? why? and where else are you applying?

Admissions: barts use a tariff system and ukcat to rank applicants, then the top 800ish get interviews. You need >2400 ukcat and at least 460 UCAS points, they also look at personal statement and reference

data from last years cycle is at this link: (courtesy of revent) http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti#incoming-319087

the data shows that a wide range of ucas and ukcat scores gained interviews and offers:

Mean average UCAS tariff for interviewed = 559 (560)
Range from 400-1270

Mean UKCAT points for interviewed = 698 (700)
Range from 630-830
------------------------------------------------------

Mean Average UCAS tariff for Accepted = 589 (590)
Range from 410 to 1270

Mean Average UKCAT score for Accepted = 701 (700)
Range from 630-820

Revents analysis: (long but great...)

"Roughly 25% of A Level applicants who received an interview had a UCAS tariff between 400 and 480 points. The success rate of candidates within this quartile was 32%. The average UKCAT for candidates interviewed in this quartile was 685. The average UKCAT for candidates in this quartile who received an offer was 692.5 The UKCAT seems to have little effect as to whether or not a candidate receives an offer post interview for candidates in this quartile. The average UCAS tariff of candidates who were interviewed in this quartile is 450 points whilst the average of those who were successful post interview is 465 to three significant figures. The difference is almost negligible.

Roughly 25% of A Level applicants who received an interview had a UCAS tariff between 480 and 540 points. The success rate for candidates in this quartile was 77%. Clearly, a higher UCAS tariff has some benefit. The average UKCAT of candidates who received an interview in this quartile was 683. The average of those who received an offer was 682. Clearly, the UKCAT has no relevance in this quartile once an interview is given. The average UCAS tariff of interviewed applicants was 520 whilst the average of successful applicants was 520. The UCAS tariff also clearly has no effect on whether or not a candidate receives an offer. However, the UKCAT average for interviewed candidates in this quartile is lower than the average in the first quartile. This indicates that a lower UCAS tariff may be offset by a higher UKCAT score.

Roughly 25% of A Level applicants who received an interview had a UCAS tariff between 540 and 620 points. The success rate of candidates in this quartile was 85%. Clearly, a higher UCAS tariff indicates a higher likelihood of getting an offer. The average UKCAT of those interviewed was 683 whilst the average of successful candidates was 698. There is a notable difference here in the averages. Feel free to break this quartile down into smaller categories to analyse the results. However, this could just be due to chance. The average UCAS tariff of candidates was 580 whilst the average of those who were accepted was also 580 indicating the effect of the UCAS tariff is negligible post interview for this quartile of candidates.

The top 25% of A Level applicants who received an interview had a UCAS tariff between 620 and 1270 points. The success rate for these candidates was 86% (Here is where I shall say how pathetic I am that despite falling in this category, I got rejected. Hah). The average UCAS tariff of candidates was 720 whilst the average of successful candidates was 725. The average UKCAT of those who were interviewed was 705 whilst the average of successful applicants was 699. Clearly, a higher UKCAT has no particular advantage.

The most common UCAS tariff score was 460 points for those interviewed. The mean UCAS tariff score was 560 points (correct to two significant figures) for those interviewed. Taking away extreme anomalies, the average UCAS tariff score is still 560 to two significant figures. The most common UCAS tariff for those who received an offer was 480 whilst the mean was 600. Taking away the extreme anomalies, the mean is 590. The mean UKCAT for those interviewed was 689 whilst the mean of those successful was 698."

UCAS points:
A-Level- A*=140, A=120, B=100, C=80. for AS just halve these :smile:

Extended project- A*=70, A=60, B=50, C=40, etc
Functional skills- pass=10
Music practical- Grade 8= 75(D) or 70(M) or 55(P) Grade 7= 60(D) or 55(M) or 40(P) Grade 6= 45(D) or 40(M) or 25(P)

Other tariffs can be found here http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it true that last year the UCAS point cut-off for interview was 500? That seems a bit steep.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by Jed_
Is it true that last year the UCAS point cut-off for interview was 500? That seems a bit steep.

i heard at least that, but alot of people play a musical instrument which adds points and do 4 A-levels. i do 5 (A*AAAB probably) so can quite easily reach that target of >500 points. how about you?
(edited 11 years ago)
I was thinking about applying here but there is quite a lot of PBL (N)
Reply 4
Original post by Jed_

They require a minimum of 460 tariff points to be considered for interview. I would strongly recommend you speak directly with our Medicine admissions team to discuss this, as they will be able to tell you what your options are

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/contact/index.html#UG

Talk to QMUL representative if you can http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=1064241
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
No, thats stupidly crazy, my mate goes UCL for medicine, he only did 3 A2's, his offer was 3 AAA's, thats the basic requirement along with BMAT and the other he did, the rest is based on a strong personal statement, than perform well at the interview to get a offer.

I think your referring to the scores you need in those extra exams like BMAT. So you need to do reasonable well in them.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/A100/index.html
Just read this to get an idea for what the requirements are, and what they are looking for

he was correct, you are wrong. barts selection is solely on ucas points (if above uckat minimum of 600ish), last year applicants with points below 500 rarely (if at all) got interviewed. so only apply to barts if you have 4 A-levels or 3 A-levels with other ucas points like music, etc.

A*AAA is 500 ucas points
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Our normal offer is for grades AAA in three A-levels and B in the AS-level. check their site............which equates to 410 UCAS points as the minimum..................unless your trying to say their site is wrong, and how would you know about the interview statistics :rolleyes.

oh god... that is their standard OFFER. They rank people on predicted or achieved ucas tarrif points, if you look on the stalking page last year or the thread for 2012 entry you can clearly see you needed above 500 ucas points to be offered interview. due to many people doing more than 3 A-levels (and an AS) if they rank people like this the average ucas point will be above AAA[a/b] (which is 410 or 420)

so... this benefits the large number of people who take 4 or 5 A2s, thus increasing the average ucas points for people who apply so a cut off is needed to select only the top. last year which happened to be about 500ish which is A*AAA/AAABE/A*A*A*C/etc. this is how they select people then give a standard offer of AAA

take a look at selection criteria.
Reply 7
Original post by J1994D
oh god... that is their standard OFFER. They rank people on predicted or achieved ucas tarrif points, if you look on the stalking page last year or the thread for 2012 entry you can clearly see you needed above 500 ucas points to be offered interview. due to many people doing more than 3 A-levels (and an AS) if they rank people like this the average ucas point will be above AAA[a/b] (which is 410 or 420)

so... this benefits the large number of people who take 4 or 5 A2s, thus increasing the average ucas points for people who apply so a cut off is needed to select only the top. last year which happened to be about 500ish which is A*AAA/AAABE/A*A*A*C/etc. this is how they select people then give a standard offer of AAA

take a look at selection criteria.

Its their standard offer, meaning people who meet their basic requirements are therefore entitled to consideration.

"Invitations to interview will be based on meeting our minimum academic criteria, the strength of your academic ability in your UCAS application based on cumulative achieved/predicted UCAS tariff scores compared to other applicants who apply in that same year."

It's a comparison of your academic ability based on predicted scores rather than a rank. No where on that thread OP created, does it state you need above 500 ucas points to be offered an interview..............all there is a poll with peoples predicted ucas point, which isn't a true reflection as over 1,600 applicants apply of which that poll is representative of a small portion and on top of that is subject malicious voting.

There is no cut off point technically, on their site and on the 2012 thread they clearly indicate that those you meet these basic requirements will be considered for a place.

The only place where they indicate anything else apart from the basic requirements of getting an interview is:
"We are not able to give you advice on the minimum score we require, since it varies from year to year; however, it is unlikely that you would be offered an interview if you obtained a TOTAL UKCAT score below 2400; although there is no guarantee you will be offered an interview if you score above this. "
Reply 8
Its their standard offer, meaning people who meet their basic requirements are therefore entitled to consideration.

"Invitations to interview will be based on meeting our minimum academic criteria, the strength of your academic ability in your UCAS application based on cumulative achieved/predicted UCAS tariff scores compared to other applicants who apply in that same year."

It's a comparison of your academic ability based on predicted scores rather than a rank. No where on that thread OP created, does it state you need above 500 ucas points to be offered an interview..............all there is a poll with peoples predicted ucas point, which isn't a true reflection as over 1,600 applicants apply of which that poll is representative of a small portion and on top of that is subject malicious voting.

There is no cut off point technically, on their site and on the 2012 thread they clearly indicate that those you meet these basic requirements will be considered for a place.

The only place where they indicate anything else apart from the basic requirements of getting an interview is:
"We are not able to give you advice on the minimum score we require, since it varies from year to year; however, it is unlikely that you would be offered an interview if you obtained a TOTAL UKCAT score below 2400; although there is no guarantee you will be offered an interview if you score above this. "

oh you read every post on the thread did you? no. applicants received feedback from the university as to why they were rejected, and they got replies saying their ucas tariff was not high enough, this was to people who had AAA, A*AA, AAAA, etc. i didnt see a person who got 520+ not get offered an interview. those rejected w/o interview normally had below 500 with a few exceptions of course.

Yes the poll isnt representative but i didnt say look at that, if you look on the stalking page most people have above 500 ucas points. they state 'Invitations to interview will be based on meeting our minimum academic criteria, the strength of your academic ability in your UCAS application based on cumulative achieved/predicted UCAS tariff scores compared to other applicants who apply in that same year.' so as long as you meet the minimum gcse's and other entry requirements they will assess you.

so then, theyll check your ukcat to see if its above there cut off for that year, then they will rank on ucas points (i.e compare against everyone else). with the top whatever percentage getting interviewed, for last year the cut off was about 500 ucas points!! if you have AAAa you in all likelyhood wont get an interview because the cut off will probably be at least 500. This year it could be higher as everyone who applied know you need a least 500 points!!! so the average applicant will have better than AAAa, and probably have 4 a levels.

they cant have an official cut off until everyone has applied because they interview the top percentage of applicants, based on ucas points. please stop arguing, everyone who went through the application last year will know this. accept this! i know its not the fairest system and i was shocked when i first saw it, but its the way they do it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by J1994D
oh you read every post on the thread did you? no. applicants received feedback from the university as to why they were rejected, and they got replies saying their ucas tariff was not high enough, this was to people who had AAA, A*AA, AAAA, etc. i didnt see a person who got 520+ not get offered an interview. those rejected w/o interview normally had below 500 with a few exceptions of course.

Yes the poll isnt representative but i didnt say look at that, if you look on the stalking page most people have above 500 ucas points. they state 'Invitations to interview will be based on meeting our minimum academic criteria, the strength of your academic ability in your UCAS application based on cumulative achieved/predicted UCAS tariff scores compared to other applicants who apply in that same year.' so as long as you meet the minimum gcse's and other entry requirements they will assess you.

so then, theyll check your ukcat to see if its above there cut off for that year, then they will rank on ucas points. with the top whatever percentage getting interviewed, for last year the cut off was about 500 ucas points!! if you have AAAa you in all likelyhood wont get an interview because the cut off will probably be at least 500. This year it could be higher as everyone who applied know you need a least 500 points!!! so the average applicant will have better than AAAa, and probably have 4 a levels.

they cant have an official cut off until everyone has applied because they interview the top percentage of applicants, based on ucas points. please stop arguing, everyone who went through the application last year will know this. accept this! i know its not the fairest system and i was shocked when i first saw it, but its the way they do it.

I don't have to, considering the number of people on the thread isn't reflective of every applicant who applied to Barts. So what if some of the applicants on there stated that they were rejected on that basis, doesn't mean they all have. Therefore as you stated with a few exceptions, people are still capable of getting in.

So what if most people have 500 ucas points on that thread,plus its predicted ucas points, doesn't mean they'll achieve that, there aren't proper statistics on that matter. I already stated Academic criteria which isn't 500 ucas points, therefore they still have a chance of being considered.

They state that getting under 2400 for total UKCAT score means your "unlikely" to get an interview, people have a chance to a point. That doesn't mean the cut off was 500 ucas points at all, if that was the case than Barts would advertise that which they don't, meaning that everyone who applies and meet the basic requirement will be considered and have a chance to get an offer.
Average applicant does so to show they can handle a higher workload and still perform well, Medicine is naturally competitive so its clear that an average medicine applicant will go the extra mile to show they can do it. But that doesn't mean that you need at least 500 points to get an interview or an offer.

I'm talking about the basic official cut off as stated on ucas and their minimum entry requirements, once you apply everyone has to be considered, whether or not they have crazy amount of ucas points. I actually go QMUL, got a few friends there, and had mates get into Medicine from last year, not all of them did 4 A2's, they all worked hard and i would also say it's also up to the personal statement to make a applicant stand out when going against people with 500+ ucas points.

I'm just stating that people still have a chance of getting in even if they don't do 4 A2'S or have more than 500+ ucas points.
Reply 10
I don't have to, considering the number of people on the thread isn't reflective of every applicant who applied to Barts. So what if some of the applicants on there stated that they were rejected on that basis, doesn't mean they all have. Therefore as you stated with a few exceptions, people are still capable of getting in.

So what if most people have 500 ucas points on that thread,plus its predicted ucas points, doesn't mean they'll achieve that, there aren't proper statistics on that matter. I already stated Academic criteria which isn't 500 ucas points, therefore they still have a chance of being considered.

They state that getting under 2400 for total UKCAT score means your "unlikely" to get an interview, people have a chance to a point. That doesn't mean the cut off was 500 ucas points at all, if that was the case than Barts would advertise that which they don't, meaning that everyone who applies and meet the basic requirement will be considered and have a chance to get an offer.
Average applicant does so to show they can handle a higher workload and still perform well, Medicine is naturally competitive so its clear that an average medicine applicant will go the extra mile to show they can do it. But that doesn't mean that you need at least 500 points to get an interview or an offer.

I'm talking about the basic official cut off as stated on ucas and their minimum entry requirements, once you apply everyone has to be considered, whether or not they have crazy amount of ucas points. I actually go QMUL, got a few friends there, and had mates get into Medicine from last year, not all of them did 4 A2's, they all worked hard and i would also say it's also up to the personal statement to make a applicant stand out when going against people with 500+ ucas points.

I'm just stating that people still have a chance of getting in even if they don't do 4 A2'S or have more than 500+ ucas points.

the people doing medicine at barts now most likely only did 3 A2's as this application was the first year it was implemented! seriously you dont know what you are talking about. if people were to believe what you are saying than people with AAAb would apply and 99% wont get an interview! im assuming you havnt applied to medicine so havnt gone through the application process. Applying is so competitive people should apply to places where their strengths are appreciated.

For barts due to the selection process being on ukcat and ucas points if these arnt your strengths you shouldnt apply! you would need above average ucas points to be offered interview. average is AAAb, with many doing 4 or 5 A levels so these applicants are benefited!!!!

Please just stop arguing about this, yes there is no official stance and you still technically have a chance if you get below 500 ucas points, but this was about what most people got when being offered interview!!!! like talking to a wall...
Reply 11
Original post by J1994D
the people doing medicine at barts now most likely only did 3 A2's as this application was the first year it was implemented! seriously you dont know what you are talking about. if people were to believe what you are saying than people with AAAb would apply and 99% wont get an interview! im assuming you havnt applied to medicine so havnt gone through the application process. Applying is so competitive people should apply to places where their strengths are appreciated.

For barts due to the selection process being on ukcat and ucas points if these arnt your strengths you shouldnt apply! you would need above average ucas points to be offered interview. average is AAAb, with many doing 4 or 5 A levels so these applicants are benefited!!!!

Please just stop arguing about this, yes there is no official stance and you still technically have a chance if you get below 500 ucas points, but this was about what most people got when being offered interview!!!! like talking to a wall...

If it's the first year of application, than people should tread even more carefully as it's bound to change nor is the 500 ucas point thing reflective of who genuinely can get in.
So what if they got AAAb, they still have a chance, your basing your findings on a small number of candidates out of 800 who have gotten interviews.

But it's just not solely on ukcat or ucas points, a personal statement also says things to admissions and they may ask for an interview. No you wouldn't, it would only mean that you are more likely to get an interview, doesn't mean if you meet the basic requirements you won't get anything.

As I said before there is no statistics on this and you are basing you results on about 50 applicants on the stalking article out of the 1600+ applicants,. thats around 3%, it isn't reflective at all, so people do have a chance of getting an interview even if they get less than 500 ucas points.............nor is it true that "most" people got offered interviews based on having 500+ ucas points, its only true to some extent out of those odd 50 or applicants but not the rest of the 97% of applicants.
Reply 12
If it's the first year of application, than people should tread even more carefully as it's bound to change nor is the 500 ucas point thing reflective of who genuinely can get in.
So what if they got AAAb, they still have a chance, your basing your findings on a small number of candidates out of 800 who have gotten interviews.

But it's just not solely on ukcat or ucas points, a personal statement also says things to admissions and they may ask for an interview. No you wouldn't, it would only mean that you are more likely to get an interview, doesn't mean if you meet the basic requirements you won't get anything.

As I said before there is no statistics on this and you are basing you results on about 50 applicants on the stalking article out of the 1600+ applicants,. thats around 3%, it isn't reflective at all, so people do have a chance of getting an interview even if they get less than 500 ucas points.............nor is it true that "most" people got offered interviews based on having 500+ ucas points, its only true to some extent out of those odd 50 or applicants but not the rest of the 97% of applicants.

you just dont listen... if you look on other medical schools which have a scoring system (e.g leicester) applicants get a score and there is a cut off, with some below cut off occasionaly interviewed if other areas are amazing.

By all means im not telling people to not apply, but as its so competitive if you dont do 4 A levels anyone with any sense would not apply to barts due to the selection process! PS is pretty much irrelevant to obtain an interview, an amazing ps but 410 ucas points will most likely not get an interview! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO AWAY. 500 is not definitive, and most likely change, BUT last year 500 is there abouts what was needed for interview, if you question this so bad ring them up and theyll tell you, like those on the thread did!!! majority had over 500 with some exceptions. some could mean like 10? (10/800)*100=1%ish, so 99% had above five ****ing hundred!

DONT REPLY IQBAL
Reply 13
Original post by CasualSoul
I was thinking about applying here but there is quite a lot of PBL (N)

where else are you thinking of applying to? :smile: i quite like the idea of pbl, why dont you?
Reply 14
Original post by J1994D
you just dont listen... if you look on other medical schools which have a scoring system (e.g leicester) applicants get a score and there is a cut off, with some below cut off occasionaly interviewed if other areas are amazing.

By all means im not telling people to not apply, but as its so competitive if you dont do 4 A levels anyone with any sense would not apply to barts due to the selection process! PS is pretty much irrelevant to obtain an interview, an amazing ps but 410 ucas points will most likely not get an interview! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO AWAY. 500 is not definitive, and most likely change, BUT last year 500 is there abouts what was needed for interview, if you question this so bad ring them up and theyll tell you, like those on the thread did!!! majority had over 500 with some exceptions. some could mean like 10? (10/800)*100=1%ish, so 99% had above five ****ing hundred!

DONT REPLY IQBAL

I tracked the 2012 cycle too and have to say that you are absolutely right. Anyone applying with 3 A2 and 1AS is essentially wasting an application under the current criteria. However, when I rang Barts last week I was told there had been complaints about last year's selection criteria and that they are currently being reviewed. So may be there's hope for some of us yet.
Reply 15
Original post by demi35
I tracked the 2012 cycle too and have to say that you are absolutely right. Anyone applying with 3 A2 and 1AS is essentially wasting an application under the current criteria. However, when I rang Barts last week I was told there had been complaints about last year's selection criteria and that they are currently being reviewed. So may be there's hope for some of us yet.

thankyou for backing me up :smile: i thibk its unfair on some people who go to colleges that only allow 3 A-levels, my college allows 6! (5 + general studies) people who do 5 basically have enough points and people with 4 are in a good position.

This year i think theyre still doing the same process as it says for 2013, maybe different next year :smile: are you applying? how many a levels?

Reply 16
Original post by J1994D

DONT REPLY IQBAL

Therefore the cutoff doesn't truly exist at Leciester, if they are willing to consider those below these "suggested" cut off points.

Just because someone does 3 A2's doesn't technically put them at a disadvantage at all, if they excel in other areas compared to someone who does 4+ A2's. All it shows is that they can handle the extra workload and possible do well, which is a plus, but the other person can do as well in applying. PS is relevant, as they'll in many cases question what you've written down on your ps. PS showcases the work experience, you enthusiasm, etc. Your basing this "500" based on the stalking thread which as stated before is only representative of 3% or so of applicants. And i've emailed them.
Some doesn't equate 10, considering there's 1600+ applicants, 10 out of those numbers you might as well say a very small amount. Nor can you say that 99% got in with 500+ ucas points, when your basing this on 3% of applicants from tsr who all haven't given their predictions, so that % is even smaller, nor is it based on real statistics. Therefore your conclusion is not correct.

edit: we'll realise when the unistats are out for the 2012 cycle, currently average is 480 ucas points and majority applied were less than 500 points.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by demi35

Quite a few current students would agree, the "new" system is ludicrous.
They even mentioned on the open day that people that are short listed for an interview have the achieved the minimum academic entry requirements, minimum overall UKCAT score >2400 and achieved/predicted UCAS tariff >460
Reply 19
Original post by J1994D
thankyou for backing me up :smile: i thibk its unfair on some people who go to colleges that only allow 3 A-levels, my college allows 6! (5 + general studies) people who do 5 basically have enough points and people with 4 are in a good position.

This year i think theyre still doing the same process as it says for 2013, maybe different next year :smile: are you applying? how many a levels?

I agree the policy is unfair and puts most students attending state schools at a disadvantage. My school has advised students studying 3 A Levels not to apply.

The website states what you quoted in an earlier post but according to the information I was offered the selection criteria for 2013 have not been finalised.
I am doing 3 A levels so I'm not applying - that's unless the review leads to a change in policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending