The Student Room Group

My own flat vs better university?

Hi,

I have this big dilemma and I cannot decide between two choices regarding my life at university next year. There are some emotions involved (obviously), but I just wanted to hear some input and insight from independent readers and see what I forgot to think about - just choose choice 1 or 2 and say why would you go for that one, why would you choose that one. Thank you all.

Choice 1: a private uni in Prague, not very well-known uni at all, living costs low, higher allowance from parents, more comfortable social life (financially - no problems & a few friends there), I have job offers there already, but less interesting city, smaller, but having my own car and a new flat to live in, closer to home (by car)

Choice 2: my dream university in Geneva, private, very prestigious and challenging in all aspects (opposite to Choice 1), but extremely expensive tuition and living, I have to have scholarship and a fellowship at that uni (20 hrs a week work at university), minimal allowance from parents, no job offers and no accommodation found yet, it has to be very cheap for me to be able to afford it (student dorms probably), less comfortable life (financially difficult, knowing nobody at all there), but a lot more interesting city, prestigious, further from home (2 hours by plane or a 14 hours car ride)

Which one would you choose - a comfortable life+only good university OR less comfortable life+your dream university???

Thanks.
(No judgment for asking such question is needed. No answers like: "you have to decide" are needed either.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Choice 1: = The sensible choice.

Choice 2: = If you don't choose this one you will probably regret it always.
Reply 2
Is this a troll??
Reply 3
Original post by dj1015
Is this a troll??

sorry?! what do you mean?
Reply 4
Original post by saska
sorry?! what do you mean?

http://bit.ly/Miq5EJ
It really depends on your life ambition.

What is more important to you - achieving the absolute maximum you can, all of your potential, and being as successful as you possibly can (Geneva) , or enjoying life - having a good quality of life, just enjoying is as much as you can - taking the easy option (Prague).

Both are beautiful citys btw, I dont think Geneva is as bad as you make out.

I cant make any recommendation - it depends on your personality. But you need to make the choice based upon the above. Hope this helps x
I want to encourage you to go for the first one; I don't know about job prospects where you live but because of how hard it can be to find a job nowadays, knowing that you will have your foot in the door with a job already makes it seem really tempting. How do you know your dream university will be so perfect once you're there? Studying there will only be a small portion of your life, the rest of it will be spent in your cheap accommodation. You prefer the city but you can always move there later in life? You can take the advantage of less fees and more money in university/city 1 and later on move to 2 if you love the city. The person who said you may always regret not going to your dream university is right, there is a chance but if you don't go with it, it's best not to dwell on "what could have been". I surpass the requirements to go to Oxford. I didn't even apply. Must not think about it, make the most of the situation you have! I do believe choice 1 is better though I would understand if you went for choice 2.
Original post by dj1015
Is this a troll??

I doubt it. Sounds like someone with a genuine problem seeking advice on an internet forum :confused:
Original post by sliceofcake
I want to encourage you to go for the first one; I don't know about job prospects where you live but because of how hard it can be to find a job nowadays, knowing that you will have your foot in the door with a job already makes it seem really tempting. How do you know your dream university will be so perfect once you're there? Studying there will only be a small portion of your life, the rest of it will be spent in your cheap accommodation. You prefer the city but you can always move there later in life? You can take the advantage of less fees and more money in university/city 1 and later on move to 2 if you love the city. The person who said you may always regret not going to your dream university is right, there is a chance but if you don't go with it, it's best not to dwell on "what could have been". I surpass the requirements to go to Oxford. I didn't even apply. Must not think about it, make the most of the situation you have! I do believe choice 1 is better though I would understand if you went for choice 2.

True :smile:. I always think the same about Oxford + me. But I took my chances, lived life to the max (despite v bad circumstances) and have done very well and had amazing experiences since. For years I regretted not applying to Oxford, but now, Im too busy enjoying life to care :biggrin:. And I think thats the way to be, really
Reply 9
Original post by icouldntthinkofone
It really depends on your life ambition.

What is more important to you - achieving the absolute maximum you can, all of your potential, and being as successful as you possibly can (Geneva) , or enjoying life - having a good quality of life, just enjoying is as much as you can - taking the easy option (Prague).

Both are beautiful citys btw, I dont think Geneva is as bad as you make out.

I cant make any recommendation - it depends on your personality. But you need to make the choice based upon the above. Hope this helps x

You are right in what you are saying. I am ambitious and I want to be as successful as I can in all aspects, BUT, on the other hand, I have lived a very comfortable life so far and I never had to worry about budgets, finances and all that...and I am not sure what is more important for me, to be honest. Dreams and ambitions or sensible choices.
Reply 10
Would option 1 give you better job prospect ? If not, why go for second best? 3 years living like most students (being poor) can be an experience. Your parents are not going to disown you,
Living on little money in Geneva will, by the sounds of it, allow you to get a better job in the future, earn more and live more comfortably in the future.

It's an investment for the future.
Reply 12
The problem with choice 2, is that it relies upon you coping with the significant change of circumstances well. If you struggle, it may affect your studies. You won't have the same support network as option 1. However if you thrive under these circumstances, you will know that you can cope with most things in life.

Have you looked into what your back up options are? Say you went to Geneva and decided after a year, that it was not for you, could you use the credits gained in Geneva to start the second year in Prague? If that is possible, I suggest that you de-risk the Geneva option as much as possible and go for it. De-risking would involve resolving your accomodation in Geneva - finding somewhere at a price and comfort level that works for your budget and checking out other ways to earn additional income.
Reply 13
if i was choosing i would go for option 2. Geneva. OBVIOUSLY!!!
I think its a lovely city, would have good job prospects (cos tourism would provide alot of ooportunities surely?) and if it means you have to work harder to live your dream then you will appreciate it more. if you go for the easy, financially sensible route, you will probs always regret it.
but dont worry about money too much, most student living is pretty rough so even if you do feel a bit poor, you wont be the only one lol
Personally, i'd pick Prague. I've been to Prague it's a beautiful city and i didn't find it boring at all. Then again i didn't live there. It's full of culture and art and all the things i love. It's also more realistic considering all the areas you've talked about. In my view, being happy is every bit as important as the university itself. If you're just going to be miserable and worrying about money and everything else the whole time you're in Geneva then what's the point? You'd end up so stressed out that it could affect your work and that's defeating the purpose of choosing Geneva in the first place.

Then again, it depends on if you're determined enough to make it work. If you've got the motivation to do it and get out there and get a job and secure your financial stability, then go for it. But you've got to realise it's going to take alot more effort on your part to make yourself comfortable, it will probably be a struggle for a while. But if you want Geneva that badly, then i guess you'd do anything to make it work. Good luck.
I was sort of in this position, and ultimately I chose option #2. The prestige of the university you attend now a days seems extremely important in finding a decent job just because of the sheer amount of people that have degrees. You need to consider that when making a decision. The way I saw it, it was my career I was talking about and sure, I wouldn't have as much disposable income had I chosen option one, but compared to the 30 odd years or so of the career you'll have...that seems pretty minimal to me.

At the end, you need to attend a university that you feel will give you the best options later on in life and challenge you intellectually. When I got in to my option #2 uni, I thought I'd won a golden ticket. The way I saw it, I worked my ass off for THAT moment. Why turn it down? Hope it helps! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Option #2 - you say it's your dream university, in which case, go for it! The gain you'd get from being where you really want to be - being challenged and in a very interesting place will make up for the cheap living. If it is your dream place to be, don't let money put you off. You can get to know people there, you'll probably gain from living in a different place for a bit. You're more likely to regret not sticking your neck out a bit and going for it in later life than to regret living a bit less comfortably.
Original post by saska
You are right in what you are saying. I am ambitious and I want to be as successful as I can in all aspects, BUT, on the other hand, I have lived a very comfortable life so far and I never had to worry about budgets, finances and all that...and I am not sure what is more important for me, to be honest. Dreams and ambitions or sensible choices.

Are you in Geneva now? It really is the most incredible place. But then so is Prague...

I really feel for you as I was once in exactly the same position. As it happens, I probably made the wrong choice, but things have turned out spectacularly well, and you just have to make the best choice you can with the information you have at the time, and not look back/just make the most of it. If you wanted someone to show you around Geneva, I have friends in the city and Im sure they'd be happy to help. Is the offer from where I suspect?

I dont really know anyone in Prague so next time Im there, if you want to have coffee and discuss it, then Id be happy to give some help/advice - PM me.

In any case, good luck with whatever you chose, and it sounds like you will do well in any case :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by edjunkie
The problem with choice 2, is that it relies upon you coping with the significant change of circumstances well. If you struggle, it may affect your studies. You won't have the same support network as option 1. However if you thrive under these circumstances, you will know that you can cope with most things in life.

Have you looked into what your back up options are? Say you went to Geneva and decided after a year, that it was not for you, could you use the credits gained in Geneva to start the second year in Prague? If that is possible, I suggest that you de-risk the Geneva option as much as possible and go for it. De-risking would involve resolving your accomodation in Geneva - finding somewhere at a price and comfort level that works for your budget and checking out other ways to earn additional income.

Well, obviously, I have checked my back up options and yes, I can use the credits from Geneva in Prague, so that wouldn't be a problem...but my parents would probably kill me if I decided for Geneva and then gave up after a year :biggrin: just 'cause they're gonna be paying hell of a lot of money for the tuition...
Reply 19
Original post by amyelizabeth2681
I was sort of in this position, and ultimately I chose option #2. The prestige of the university you attend now a days seems extremely important in finding a decent job just because of the sheer amount of people that have degrees. You need to consider that when making a decision. The way I saw it, it was my career I was talking about and sure, I wouldn't have as much disposable income had I chosen option one, but compared to the 30 odd years or so of the career you'll have...that seems pretty minimal to me.

At the end, you need to attend a university that you feel will give you the best options later on in life and challenge you intellectually. When I got in to my option #2 uni, I thought I'd won a golden ticket. The way I saw it, I worked my ass off for THAT moment. Why turn it down? Hope it helps! :smile:

Yes, I agree - the prestige of a uni IS important...my dad, though, sees this the other way round - he says that it doesn't matter which uni you attend, because there are so many people with degrees and employees don't even care about the quality of your education and it that only matters that you have some degree from somewhere. And I really disagree with him, but can't make him understand my point of view :-( And more importantly, I am planning to apply to LSE for Double degree Master's programme in IR (London/Paris), for which I need a very good bachelor's degree - and I won't be getting that in Prague. But again, my parents just DON'T undrestand this :-(

Quick Reply

Latest