The Student Room Group

Physics with only A2/SL maths?

I am currently studying for my IB and would like to do a Bsc physics at a top university when I am done. However, I dropped higher maths early last year as I didnt think that I would need it (didnt realise I wanted to do physics). Is it possible to apply with standard level maths and would I have any chance of being accepted with this disadvantage?

Just for other info, I am predicted to get around 38 points with at least a 6 in HL physics

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Thanks
Reply 1
I did a similar thing but with A-levels. Dropped maths after AS thinking I wanted to study a different subject and then realised I wanted to study physics. I emailed round quite a few universities explaining my situation and mentioning my predicted grades and also making it clear i was willing to do a third year at college to complete maths A2 if that's what it took. I asked if there was any chance of being accepted onto a course this year or if doing a third year at college would damage my application next year. Exeter and Kent both agreed to look at my ucas but, as I'd used my 5 choices applying to the other subject, I was applying through Extra which meant I could only apply to one university at a time. I chose Exeter who made me a really nice offer and invited me down to give me the material to teach myself he required maths over summer :smile: a lot of universities, particularly big city unis and unis which are higher in league tables for physics said they definitely required maths at A2/higher level, but they all said they'd be fine with 3rd year applicants except Edinburgh who said it may make me less competitive - whereas Manchester Uni said it would actually show my determination to study physics. I know pretty much nothing about IB so I don't know whether doing a third year to complete higher maths is possible but I thought I'd give you all the info I had :smile:

Tl;dr email the universities and explain your situation and ask their advice, I found most of them to be surprisingly helpful! :smile: you might want to look into whether it's possible to complete maths at HL in a 3rd year at college or look at a foundation year if you find you can't get any offers without HL maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
AL math actually covers more then SL math. The only big change is when it goes to HL which covers much more.
You will have to check each universities IB entry requirements. If they have HL maths as essential, then you can't apply to that university. I would also talk to universities who list HL maths as "preferred" as they will often use this to discriminate against applicants, so in a competitive situation, if one candidate is offering the preferred subjects and others aren't, then they'll opt for the people with the preferred subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending