The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flown_muse
I know :frown: I looked at cases for like 5 days solid, only ones I liked were still around the 100 mark so I thought I might as well go for that one since I can't get it out my head. I really really love it!

And nope, won't be doing any gaming :smile:

hahaha looool it's fine

would you be happy with the integrated graphics?
Or would you like a little power
Original post by Iqbal007
hahaha looool it's fine

would you be happy with the integrated graphics?
Or would you like a little power

That's what I'm not sure of. I don't know what I need really. I'm getting into WoW but I don't think that'd be particularly graphics taxing?
Original post by flown_muse
That's what I'm not sure of. I don't know what I need really. I'm getting into WoW but I don't think that'd be particularly graphics taxing?

From what i'm reading integrated should do fine as it's the minimum requirements.
It's up to you
Why is it every case that I like the look of is discontinued? Are there any other computer sites other than ebuyer, scan and overclockers?
Cheers, got most of it sorted now fella's, quick question but I think I know the answer, got 4 gb ram on W7 64Bit, says 4gb, but only 3.75 usable, this is because I'm using on board GFX for now so it's taking a little bit of the ram away for the Graphic Memory?
Reply 7925
Original post by itsmyname
Too plain

Why is it every case that I like the look of is discontinued? Are there any other computer sites other than ebuyer, scan and overclockers?

dabs, amazon

I've actually seen that in white on ebuyer. Have you got one? mini-review :colondollar:

Mainly i'm looking for cable management and good airflow
Original post by DannyR2811
Cheers, got most of it sorted now fella's, quick question but I think I know the answer, got 4 gb ram on W7 64Bit, says 4gb, but only 3.75 usable, this is because I'm using on board GFX for now so it's taking a little bit of the ram away for the Graphic Memory?

From what i read, it has 128mb dedicated the rest is shared with your ram, so more of your ram will used depending on the use.
Reply 7929
I've actually seen that in white on ebuyer. Have you got one? mini-review :colondollar:

Mainly i'm looking for cable management and good airflow

Mostly, I just thought it was funny to reply to your "too plain" comment about a case, with the most plain case imaginable. :biggrin:

But yes, I have the Fractal R3 in Black. I love it. I upgraded from an Antec 300. The R3 has great cable management, I actually really like the monolithic look. It's very quiet, which is important to me. For these type of 'silent' cases, the R3 is usually recommended to be the best one. I got mine second hand for £40. I think the newer ones either come with USB 3.0 or, you can buy an upgrade kit... but I think the new ones just already come with it, which is potentially useful.
As you've probably seen I don't have a GFX Card yet, but I'm planning on buying one this weekend. Is this decent for some light gaming, I'll mainly be using my PC for Films,Skype and what not, but I might try PC Gaming as I'm normally an Xbox Gamer.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-168-MS
Reply 7931
Original post by DannyR2811
As you've probably seen I don't have a GFX Card yet, but I'm planning on buying one this weekend. Is this decent for some light gaming, I'll mainly be using my PC for Films,Skype and what not, but I might try PC Gaming as I'm normally an Xbox Gamer.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-168-MS

The 6850 is perfect for light gaming. That's a good price too. If you're a regular member at OcUK forums, you get free delivery too.
Original post by SMed
The 6850 is perfect for light gaming. That's a good price too. If you're a regular member at OcUK forums, you get free delivery too.

I've never used the forums but my mates do! Will be ordering that, and when I get more money a big HDD, as i'm currently using a SSD and a old 160gb Laptop HDD.
Original post by SMed
Mostly, I just thought it was funny to reply to your "too plain" comment about a case, with the most plain case imaginable. :biggrin:

But yes, I have the Fractal R3 in Black. I love it. I upgraded from an Antec 300. The R3 has great cable management, I actually really like the monolithic look. It's very quiet, which is important to me. For these type of 'silent' cases, the R3 is usually recommended to be the best one. I got mine second hand for £40. I think the newer ones either come with USB 3.0 or, you can buy an upgrade kit... but I think the new ones just already come with it, which is potentially useful.

Cheeky request but can you post up a pic of the inside of yours? Just so I could see what it looks like
Reply 7934
Thinking of building my own desktop:
- i5 3470
- Asus P8H77M Pro
- 8GB Ram 1600 Mhz
- 1 TB HDD (maybe solid state)
- USB 3.0
- Xigmatek 600w
- 560Ti 1 GB D5 GeForce

I could get all this for ~500 pounds. Is it worth it? Using it mainly for gaming and video editing, maybe a bit of audio mixing too.

Would be great to hear some feedback! :smile:

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
Reply 7935
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a laptop for university :smile:
As basically all laptops nowadays are capable of university tasks, for gaming I would like one capable of playing The Sims 3 :smile: As cheap as possible please :smile: Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vulpes
Thinking of building my own desktop:
- i5 3470
- Asus P8H77M Pro
- 8GB Ram 1600 Mhz
- 1 TB HDD (maybe solid state)
- USB 3.0
- Xigmatek 600w
- 560Ti 1 GB D5 GeForce

I could get all this for ~500 pounds. Is it worth it? Using it mainly for gaming and video editing, maybe a bit of audio mixing too.

Would be great to hear some feedback! :smile:

where you getting everything from?
What about the case and optical drive?

Original post by tk1993
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a laptop for university :smile:
As basically all laptops nowadays are capable of university tasks, for gaming I would like one capable of playing The Sims 3 :smile: As cheap as possible please :smile: Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

How cheap?
Because sims 3 is playable on a basic 2nd gen i3 which has the HD 3000 integrated graphics.
Reply 7937
where you getting everything from?
What about the case and optical drive?

Hong Kong. I know some shopkeepers and they offered me some pretty good deals. The owner basically bought the items when they were on promotion in other retail stores. E.g a 4 GB stick of RAM is 13 quid xD

DVD-R is thrown in with the case which is free if I buy all the items from the same shop. :smile:

Original post by Vulpes
Hong Kong. I know some shopkeepers and they offered me some pretty good deals. The owner basically bought the items when they were on promotion in other retail stores. E.g a 4 GB stick of RAM is 13 quid xD

DVD-R is thrown in with the case which is free if I buy all the items from the same shop. :smile:

I was like wondering why it's so cheap..............well I only about prices in the UK.

But an i5 with a 560ti is a very good combination and will play anything, should play most games on max like BF3, etc around 30fps +.

Remember you can't overclock that version of the i5, other thing is that mobo is matx.
Reply 7939
I was like wondering why it's so cheap..............well I only about prices in the UK.

But an i5 with a 560ti is a very good combination and will play anything, should play most games on max like BF3, etc around 30fps +.

Remember you can't overclock that version of the i5, other thing is that mobo is matx.

Haha. I think the i5 will be powerful enough without overclocking :biggrin:
(Though iirc, the i7 is only ~80-100 pounds more expensive)

Know where I can buy a cheap case in the UK? I'm thinking of just buying the parts in HK and putting it together when I fly back in September. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending