The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
-

Original post by Elles
-

Hey, one thing I wanted to know was what do doctors wear nowadays?

(I can't remember the last time I went to a hospital :s-smilie:)

I know that surgeons have to wear scrubs

but for other things do they wear a suit? or just a polo shirt and trousers? (I know that ties are forbidden and clothes with long sleeves?)

or do they wear scrubs as well?

Or even a white coat :biggrin:?
Original post by IgorYakov
Hey, one thing I wanted to know was what do doctors wear nowadays?

(I can't remember the last time I went to a hospital :s-smilie:)

I know that surgeons have to wear scrubs

but for other things do they wear a suit? or just a polo shirt and trousers? (I know that ties are forbidden and clothes with long sleeves?)

or do they wear scrubs as well?

Or even a white coat :biggrin:?

White coats are no longer seen in UK hospitals, in general.

Scrubs are mainly for theatre, ITU, labour ward and A&E. Sometimes surgeons will also wear them on the wards but it's not essential - in some hospitals you are not allowed to wear scrubs outside designated areas. For normal ward work, men will usually wear smart trousers and a shirt with sleeves rolled up - not a polo shirt. Women have more flexibility, but practical smart workwear is the norm.
Does anyone know which universities do genetics for intercalculation?
Original post by SuperFantasticB
Does anyone know which universities do genetics for intercalculation?intercalation?

This website should tell you. It's possible to transfer to another university for your year of intercalation though, so you don't have to base you application options on the range of intercalated degrees available.
Original post by d_ahmed
Carol Davila med school in Bucharest

thank you :smile:
I want to become a doctor but I need to know my realistic chances of getting into a med school in the UK. I have just done my IGCSES and I have been predicted mostly As and at most 5 or 6 A*s. For AS Level I plan to do Chemistry,Biology,German and Music and for A2 I will do Chemistry, Biology and German. I am worried because this means I am not doing Physics or Maths for A Level and does this mean I don't stand a chance? I really want to be a doctor and I just need to know how likely it is I will get into a Med School. Thank you
Reply 3406
I have a brother who works in pathology. He told me the medical schools value physics A level over everything else, and biology A level is pretty irrelevant.
Original post by cocobowman
I want to become a doctor but I need to know my realistic chances of getting into a med school in the UK. I have just done my IGCSES and I have been predicted mostly As and at most 5 or 6 A*s. For AS Level I plan to do Chemistry,Biology,German and Music and for A2 I will do Chemistry, Biology and German. I am worried because this means I am not doing Physics or Maths for A Level and does this mean I don't stand a chance? I really want to be a doctor and I just need to know how likely it is I will get into a Med School. Thank you

You don't need physics or maths to get into med school in the UK.

Original post by Wirral
I have a brother who works in pathology. He told me the medical schools value physics A level over everything else, and biology A level is pretty irrelevant.

That's nonsense.
Original post by cocobowman

If you have Chemistry + Biology at A2 and one other subject (except Gen Studies and Critical Thinking) you are eligible for every UK medical school.

Here is a summary of all the A-level requirements, and you can see the "common questions" section in the bottom regarding maths/physics. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Your combination of A-Levels of Chem, Bio, German at A2 will be sufficient for medical admissions.
Reply 3409
Original post by Wirral

Ignore this ^^^
Reply 3410
I would like to become a doctor in the hear future and Iwas w onder how hard it is to obtain the right qualifications. I am doing 9 GCSE's and I could be 3A's,5B's and 1c. The university I would like to go to is Peninsula in Plymouth as I live there and it says I need at least AAA at GCE A level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics and a fourth subject must be achieved at a minimum of grade c as AS level, so i was wondering how hard is it to get 3As at alevel and what is the chance of me getting into medical school, as I toke part in cadets for over 2 years, a few years of fighting and had a part time job for over a year. Also how hard would medical school be and how many hours of work will I:smile::smile: need to put in after university hours?
Reply 3411
Original post by deang15
I would like to become a doctor in the hear future and Iwas w onder how hard it is to obtain the right qualifications. I am doing 9 GCSE's and I could be 3A's,5B's and 1c. The university I would like to go to is Peninsula in Plymouth as I live there and it says I need at least AAA at GCE A level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics and a fourth subject must be achieved at a minimum of grade c as AS level, so i was wondering how hard is it to get 3As at alevel and what is the chance of me getting into medical school, as I toke part in cadets for over 2 years, a few years of fighting and had a part time job for over a year. Also how hard would medical school be and how many hours of work will I:smile::smile: need to put in after university hours?

Lots of those basic questions can be answered by the FAQ here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs

You could also do with some more medical work experience, the process is also explained on those FAQs.
Reply 3412
I understand that you can do an intercalated year at any university that provides them but is there a compiled list of subjects/research areas for intercalation?
Reply 3413
Original post by Zedd
I understand that you can do an intercalated year at any university that provides them but is there a compiled list of subjects/research areas for intercalation?

:yep: check out: http://intercalate.co.uk

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]
Reply 3414
Original post by Vulpes
:yep: check out: http://intercalate.co.uk

via TSR Mobile App. Excuse any typos. =]

Shizaam! Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Zedd

Going by your sig I can assume you're currently studying Philosophy at Aberdeen? So will be a graduate when you enter medical school?

In which case graduates often aren't allowed to intercalate, or they aren't at BL at least.
I have carried out numerous workplacements in healthcare settings and do regular volunteering for the enjoyment rather than anything else. I have researched a career as a docotor; attending various talks and doing outside readingetc as I am facinated with the subject.

BUT, I am awaiting my as level results and don't believe i will achieve AAAA probably ABBC at the most. I don't want to persue a biomedical degree as I love the idea of patient contact / dealing with people on a daily basis and don't want to risk not getting into the grad medicine route and being stuck with a degree that I dont enjoy.

Any ideas for degrees? is medicine still possible ?

Thanks in advance :smile: (oh GCSEs are 4A*4A and Bs if that hepls?)
Reply 3417
Original post by HARVEY123
I have carried out numerous workplacements in healthcare settings and do regular volunteering for the enjoyment rather than anything else. I have researched a career as a docotor; attending various talks and doing outside readingetc as I am facinated with the subject.

BUT, I am awaiting my as level results and don't believe i will achieve AAAA probably ABBC at the most. I don't want to persue a biomedical degree as I love the idea of patient contact / dealing with people on a daily basis and don't want to risk not getting into the grad medicine route and being stuck with a degree that I dont enjoy.

Any ideas for degrees? is medicine still possible ?

Thanks in advance :smile: (oh GCSEs are 4A*4A and Bs if that hepls?)

Yes it is still possible. You don't need straight As at AS unless you're applying to Birmingham or Oxbridge. The predicted grades are more important than AS grades but they do need to be realistic. If you were predicted AAA and had a B in your dropped AS subject you would be fine for most schools. A C in your dropped AS may lower your choices a bit but it's still possible to secure a place with that too provided you apply to the right places.
Reply 3418
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Going by your sig I can assume you're currently studying Philosophy at Aberdeen? So will be a graduate when you enter medical school?

In which case graduates often aren't allowed to intercalate, or they aren't at BL at least.

I find that a bit odd if I'm honest. Although I can understand why a science graduate wouldn't be allowed to intercalate I'd have thought that, as an arts graduate, I would still be able to intercalate.

It's not a maker or breaker, although it would be nice to be able to explore an area in more depth.

EDIT- I get the impression the reason for not allowing it is because the student would be liable for paying that year? If that's the case then that isn't an issue for me as I'm not applying to GEPs and I won't be paying £9k in fees.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by myyrh
Yes it is still possible. You don't need straight As at AS unless you're applying to Birmingham or Oxbridge. The predicted grades are more important than AS grades but they do need to be realistic. If you were predicted AAA and had a B in your dropped AS subject you would be fine for most schools. A C in your dropped AS may lower your choices a bit but it's still possible to secure a place with that too provided you apply to the right places.

So do you reckon that if I did extremly well in the UKCAT/BMAT I might be let in with slightly lower predicted grades say AAB?

Also I think its slightly wrong how people without AAA may not even be considered when they could ultimately prove themselves at interview etc or in the long run to succeed just as well - tough competition!!

Quick Reply

Latest