The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Biff and Chip.
hm i would suggest reading the Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes but it's a bit of a difficult read (not implying that you're stupid, I find it difficult myself, the language being in line with the time it was written).

you're mad not to like Harry Potter though :tongue: im guessing you never tried to actually read the books but you so should.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
The curious incident of the dog in the night time!

brilliant book! almost forgot about that!

Original post by jackf1337
1984 - George Orwell

also a brilliant book!

I also loved The Time Travellers Wife.

Original post by SatanIsAwesome
You may be surprised to learn that I did know about all of those books, but I doubted he'd enjoy those books when he doesn't find sci-fi, horro etc. as they're usually less interesting.

Fyi, listing a bunch of authors that you probably googled doesn't make you seem any more intelligent or interesting.

Just thought i'd let you know that I can name authors without googling them and i've probably only read about 30 books in my lifetime

Orwell, Austen, David Gemmell, David Nicholls, Emma Donoghue, Grisham, Catherine O'Flynn, Shakespeare, Dickins, Yates, Bronte

its kinda rude to insult people just because you think your better than them, especially online where they can't see you in person. If someone names some authors, don't jump to conclusions, yeah? I thought TSR was a friendly sorta environment, with intelligent people. not just a place where pricks can try to degrade people just coz they have nothing better to do. what d'ya think?
Just to let you know this thread is about a year old! Hopefully the OP has found something to read. :tongue: Still some great suggestions though.
Reply 2444
Original post by dunneemagoo
What books should I read?

I have never really read any in my life, not because I can't or I'm uneducated, but because I've never had much of a passion for imagination through reading. I'm going to University in september, and I think this is really a chance for me to excell myself. I honestly can remember only a handful of books I have read through school: Of mice and men, Blood brothers, and A mid summer nights dream; other than that no "story" books come to mind, just educational texts relating to specific topics for revision.

I spent 5 years after high school with no direction or motivation to forfill the potential I know I have, now I have matured I realise the benefits I have missed out on. I don't want to arrive at University with any disadvantages, I have plenty of time to improve my: vocabulary, communication, reading, writing, and overall intelligance; through reading.

As I have read so little in the form of books I don't really have any ideas as to what I would like, albeit I did like the three fictional books I read at school.

Can you please recommend me some good books to read, with a little opinion maybe or even a description as to what the book is about.

Ps. I don't like Harry Potter, and most Fantasy/Sci-fi style stories bore me; horror is a no go, complete bore.

Thank you x

A series of Unfortunate Events is possibly the best written book of all time.
You should read some of Bill Brysons stuff, he's pretty good, it's all non-fiction accounts of various things here and there, really recommend it. Also check out Cormac McCarthy, his stuff varies a lot between novels but The Road and No Country For Old Men are just excellent
Original post by mrs_bellamy
Just to let you know this thread is about a year old! Hopefully the OP has found something to read. :tongue: Still some great suggestions though.

hmmm, didn't check the date this was posted haha. I just saw that there was a reply on here recently and decided to waste some time :smile:
Reply 2447
Maybe try any Kazuo Ishiguro books. They are very easy to read yet have deep storylines that really draw you in. 'Never Let Me Go' is beautiful.
Original post by Doskey
Maybe try any Kazuo Ishiguro books. They are very easy to read yet have deep storylines that really draw you in. 'Never Let Me Go' is beautiful.

agreed
Reply 2449
Arthur Koelster - Darkness at noon
Original post by Aj12
Anyone know any good books about virus outbreaks that kind of thing?

Try The Stand - Stephen King. It's really very good, one of Kings best IMO, it's a bit of a long read but well worth it :smile:
Catch 22 by Joseph Hillier (I think). One of my all time favourite books.

Edit: Sorry, it's Heller!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cjd2k
A series of Unfortunate Events is possibly the best written book of all time.

Lolita takes that one for me.
Harry and his bucketful of dinasours for the theme your going with.
Otherwise, Ronald Dahl, the jungle book etc?
Harry and his bucketful of dinosaurs, Dinosaurs before dark and Danny and his dinosaur.

General bookswise - The tiger who came for tea (ahh the memories...), anything by Roald Dahl and my 8yo son recommends Artemis Fowl :smile:
50 Shades of Grey.
Original post by PythianLegume
50 Shades of Grey.

We read Omnibombulator and The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark in Year 3 and I loved them. And the Lighthouse Keeper series! Not exactly dinosaur themed but they're brilliant books for that age group :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest