The Student Room Group

First birthday as a couple... need present ideas!

So, I've been with my boyfriend 6 months now and it's his birthday early next month and I'm trying to decide on what on earth to get him but I'm really struggling.

I've booked for us to go away for the weekend but want to get presents that he can open as well. Nothing majorly expensive as I'm paying for the hotel and we're going out for a nice dinner too.

He's really into music, mostly rock-y stuff like Metallica, Rise To Remain, As I Lay Dying etc. though he likeds everything really. There are some particular TV shows he likes. He's not really into DVDs and CDs.

Any suggestions?
I personally get stressed out getting surprise presents for people. I'd much rather ask someone what they want because it means no duplicate gifts or giving them something they have already. You say he's into Metallica sorts of music, chances are he may have all the albums or all the best ones.

The best surprise gifts are things like Toblerone, you can never go wrong with that because it's chocolate. However if you're travelling then there's a chance it could melt or something.

Sorry if this doesn't actually help you but it's a different view on the situation.
Reply 2
Oh I know, I'd rather ask as well. I'd rather someone get something they want rather than a risky surprise. I've asked him and he's no use at all, he just says I don't need to get him anything or that there's nothing he wants. I probably will get him a toblerone or some kind of chocolate along with whatever else I manage to find.
Clothes (band merch, tshirt/hoody/etc) or games would be the obvious ones but I think it really depends on the person, there's a lot of types of gifts but needs too suit the relationship. Personally me and my girlfriend tend too pick our own presents the last couple birthdays haha.
Reply 4
My girlfriend got me a wallet which was pretty nice of her. But I already had a really nice one with more pockets so don't really use it.

She got me a chocolate cake too and two galaxy bars.

I eat a piece everytime I miss her.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC HD2
Reply 5
It was a really nice wallet so ill only use it on special occasions :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC HD2
Make him something :smile:
how about a belt or a shirt that he can wear during the dinner you have planned out for him??
Reply 8
A flagon of ale!
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies.

We're really into zombie TV/films at the moment so I've designed him a zombie related t-shirt that I'm going to make. Fruit of the loom t-shirts are only £2.49 on Amazon and I've already got the transfer paper - bargain!

He does want a new wallet but he's really fussy about them so not sure I'd buy one. Like you he'd probably end up not using it as the one he's got now would probably be better.

I have no idea what a 'flagon' is but he did some thing on Facebook a while ago, a how many of these top beers have you had and there were a few he hadn't tried so might see if I can find any of those or something.
Original post by Vanadesse
Thanks for all the replies.

We're really into zombie TV/films at the moment so I've designed him a zombie related t-shirt that I'm going to make. Fruit of the loom t-shirts are only £2.49 on Amazon and I've already got the transfer paper - bargain!

He does want a new wallet but he's really fussy about them so not sure I'd buy one. Like you he'd probably end up not using it as the one he's got now would probably be better.

I have no idea what a 'flagon' is but he did some thing on Facebook a while ago, a how many of these top beers have you had and there were a few he hadn't tried so might see if I can find any of those or something.

Well in that case a zombie survival kit would do the job! :P
Reply 11
Original post by BethaneyJ
Well in that case a zombie survival kit would do the job! :P

And what is in a zombie survival kit? lol
And what is in a zombie survival kit? lol

Depends how far you want to go :P You can get standard survival kits (or make one) with like, matches and first aid shiz etc, or some people go the other way and make daft ones with rebranded sweets (e.g. mints rewrapped with "water purification tablets" written on them). Then you get extreme where you get a spade (obvious reasons) and tinned food and stuff!

Alternatively there are zombie survival guide books that are not too pricey but pretty cool :smile:
Reply 13
Ha I've actually been making all of that all this morning, turning sweets into zombie related things - bite kit, bandages, first aid kit, vitamins etc.
Ha I've actually been making all of that all this morning, turning sweets into zombie related things - bite kit, bandages, first aid kit, vitamins etc.

Wehey!! :biggrin: That's awesome! Take pictures when you're done :3
Reply 15
To be honest, I doubt you need to get him anything :smile: The fact that you've already booked things for the weekend and the fact that you're taking out to dinner kind of makes up for any presents you might be expected to give him. The gesture is sweet enough!
Reply 16
Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I've got him the weekend away, which isn't nearly expensive as it sounds due to a special offer and some vouchers I had. I've then made him a zombie survival kit, which I have to say is pretty awesome, even if I do say so myself. If you want to see pictures, message me because I don't want to post them on here in case he happens to see them. I've actually decided to start selling them on ebay too, no-one else does! Sold one already. And then I've got a few little bits like smellies and stuff. Wanted to get one of those small alcohol gift sets but apparently you can't find them anywhere unless it's Christmas! Thanks again everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending