The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think one drink is fine :smile: if you're getting drunk alone, that's sad.
It's fine. If your day was stressful or you enjoy it then there's nothing wrong with having one beer when you get home. You're in control of what you are doing and sometimes we don't always want company in the evening, it's nice to be alone. I appreciate the alcohol I drink (nice wines) when I am alone. I don't see why it's so taboo in this country.
Original post by Anonymous
The title makes me sound like some sort of alcoholic but I'm really not! I'm just talking about when I come in from work to my flat (on my own) I often have one beer.

Just wanted to know what people think of this - is it weird? I just to do it to chill at the end of the day.

What's the point of one beer? Why not just have water. I don't see anything wrong with it, except from a nutritional stand point, I just don't see the point in having something unhealthy when it has no benefit. Stop doing it and after a week or two you won't even realise your not doing it.
Reply 4
Nothing wrong with it at all. Provided one doesn't become two, become three, and so on.
Reply 5
Having a beer is fine, I'd say getting drunk alone is slightly strange.
Original post by ChaoticMaster
What's the point of one beer? Why not just have water. I don't see anything wrong with it, except from a nutritional stand point, I just don't see the point in having something unhealthy when it has no benefit. Stop doing it and after a week or two you won't even realise your not doing it.

Is this guy for real? What do you mean what's the point in one beer? It's a beer, some of us like having a casual beer after a long day at work, in front of the TV? Nutritional value... Are you for real? I'm sure you don't eat healthily 24/7. There's nothing wrong with one casual beer after work!? Why is it such a taboo subject? It's quite possible to have a single beer and ENJOY it, without waking up in a gutter?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by ChaoticMaster
What's the point of one beer? Why not just have water. I don't see anything wrong with it, except from a nutritional stand point, I just don't see the point in having something unhealthy when it has no benefit. .

Do you only drink water? You don't have anything like lemonade/coke, or squah (or as some people i know call it "dilute)?
I have these extra things, but i do so because i like the flavour. I don't drink lemonade for the extra sugar/carbonated water in it.
I don't drink alcohol (most of the time) for the alcoholic units, i drink it because i enjoy the flavour.

As for:
Stop doing it and after a week or two you won't even realise your not doing it

I rarely ever drink alcohol (rarely = once every 2 - 3months maybe longer) and yet i still get cravings for it, so what you say may not be true. It depends solely on the person.

Original post by Jamielawrence1945
Is this guy for real? What do you mean what's the point in one beer? It's a beer, some of us like having a casual beer after a long day at work, in front of the TV? Nutritional value... Are you for real? I'm sure you don't eat healthily 24/7. There's nothing wrong with one casual beer after work!? Why is it such a taboo subject? It's quite possible to have a single beer and ENJOY it, without waking up in a gutter?

To be fair, there are diets (maybe to lose weight, or maybe just an healthy lifestyle diet) which require you not to drink anything but water. So it may be that they eat healthy 24/7.
Although i agre with what you're implying (that they're boring :P) each to their own right? :smile:
I often head out of London at about 6pm. I'll usually go for a coffee/beer before I catch my train/head to the car - for starters it means I miss most of the rush hour but it is also a nice way to unwind after work.

The part of London I am in is full of familiar faces so I will often bump into a friend or I will get a message towards the end of the day asking if I want to meet.

I am not bothered about being alone while having a beer of coffee though. It is nice to be at peace in one's own company. I quite like sitting around people watching/ reading the paper. However I suppose it is only nice if you are alone because you want to be rather than having no friends/are forced into being alone.
I've been drunk on my own before, it's not that bad as people are making it out to be...
Original post by elldeegee
Do you only drink water? You don't have anything like lemonade/coke, or squah (or as some people i know call it "dilute)?
I have these extra things, but i do so because i like the flavour. I don't drink lemonade for the extra sugar/carbonated water in it.
I don't drink alcohol (most of the time) for the alcoholic units, i drink it because i enjoy the flavour.

As for:
I rarely ever drink alcohol (rarely = once every 2 - 3months maybe longer) and yet i still get cravings for it, so what you say may not be true. It depends solely on the person.

To be fair, there are diets (maybe to lose weight, or maybe just an healthy lifestyle diet) which require you not to drink anything but water. So it may be that they eat healthy 24/7.
Although i agre with what you're implying (that they're boring :P) each to their own right? :smile:

In general I only drink water. I don't do squash or fizzy drinks. On occasions when I feel I'm going to fall asleep at work I'll have a sugar free energy drink. I also have a glass or two of rum every now and then but this is not a regular thing.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a beer after work at night and I understand why some people enjoy doing it but personally I don't see the point.
Original post by Jamielawrence1945

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm for real. I don't think there's anything wrong with it but it's not for me. And yes I am for real. I prefer to have a good workout after a long days work, it makes me feel a lot better than a beer would. I don't know why you've made a series of illogical assumptions about ending in the gutter. I never implied that and I've never thought it. At uni I used to drink a lot and I'm doing well. I just no longer see the point in frequent drinking of small quantities of alcohol. If I'm out and have a social drink I'll have straight rum.

In general I do eat healthy 24/7. I have planned cheat days and in the past I've had unplanned days of eating junk. At the moment I want to lose weight so I'm eating very healthy with no slips. No starch or refined sugar and almost no alcohol (I had a double rum when I went to lunch with a friend). I fight and I want to start fighting in the cruiser weight division as opposed to heavyweight.
Reply 12
Lol I've drank on my own before, watching football or a good film.. It's relaxing.
Reply 13
i drink on my own 2-3 times a week

feel good man
No, there's nothing wrong with having a beer, cider or even whiskey on your own after work.

If its become part of your end-of-the-day destress ritual, then thats fine. More power to you. I don't see there being anything wrong with that activity so long as it doesn't affect your mood in a negative way. If you feel comfortable drinking the beer, then drink the beer. If you're worried about it being indicative of a deeper issue, then maybe put it aside and try drinking something else, or invite someone over to share the beer with.

Latest

Trending

Trending