The Student Room Group

ATKINS assessment centre

Hey,

I have an assessment centre coming up for Atkins for Transport Planning. I cannot find anything online about it really.. has anyone been through the process before?

Cheers
Reply 1
Hello,

Was this for the Highways and Transport planning role? Suppose to be hearing back for an assessment centre on the 29th feb.
Reply 2
Yes it was, in Birmingham. Went alright, only 3 other candidates! So good odds, time will tell :smile:
Reply 3
Hope it went well! Mine's at Leeds on Tuesday. Do you have any advice on the type of questions I should prepare for? Little worried about the technical q's as I haven't been taught highways or transport in my Civil Eng course :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by chrisb23
Yes it was, in Birmingham. Went alright, only 3 other candidates! So good odds, time will tell :smile:

I guess you would have come to The Axis then which is where I'm based.

Good Luck.
Reply 5
When did atkins invite you to the assessment day btw? Just I passed the online tests for one of their grad schemes but haven't heard anything else back yet :s
Reply 6
Hey Guys

Anyone applied for their nuclear business..mechanical engineering?
Reply 7

Hi Chris

hope you're well. Can you please give a few hints on the assessment centre as I have been trying my best to secure a job and this is my final chance...Any tips on the assessment centre would be great...I have one coming up for this thursday...looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by mehairy8
Hope it went well! Mine's at Leeds on Tuesday. Do you have any advice on the type of questions I should prepare for? Little worried about the technical q's as I haven't been taught highways or transport in my Civil Eng course :frown:

Hi mehairy8

hope you're well. Hope you did well at the A.C..can you please give a few hints on the assessment centre as I have been trying my best to secure a job and this is my final chance...Any tips on the assessment centre would be great...I have one coming up for this thursday...looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by s7unny
Hi mehairy8

hope you're well. Hope you did well at the A.C..can you please give a few hints on the assessment centre as I have been trying my best to secure a job and this is my final chance...Any tips on the assessment centre would be great...I have one coming up for this thursday...looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

I feel it is unfair to give you exact details ahead of other candidates, but (briefly) the day consists of the usual: competency interview, technical (job related) interview, presentation, group exercise and written exercise. None of it can be prepared for really, just brush up on current transport issues.
Reply 10
I feel it is unfair to give you exact details ahead of other candidates, but (briefly) the day consists of the usual: competency interview, technical (job related) interview, presentation, group exercise and written exercise. None of it can be prepared for really, just brush up on current transport issues.

I was wondering if you could tell me the time scales Atkins used for getting back to you throughout the process (e.g. from passing test to being asked to a telephone interview). I've applied for the transport planning a week ago and waiting for my test results (again a week ago). Some companies are better than others (one took two months to say i was through to the assessment centre!).

Thanks in advance!
Reply 11
Original post by nyxie
I was wondering if you could tell me the time scales Atkins used for getting back to you throughout the process (e.g. from passing test to being asked to a telephone interview). I've applied for the transport planning a week ago and waiting for my test results (again a week ago). Some companies are better than others (one took two months to say i was through to the assessment centre!).

Thanks in advance!

Well I think I had my tests results pretty quickly after a couple days, but as for the overall time scale they were the first company I applied to and the last one to get back to me to invite to telephone interview.

So anyway, App-> Tests in 2 days -> Telephone interview IN 3-4 months and then -> AC invite a few days later

At Atkins the Grad Scheme is closely linked to actual jobs and they don't really have many generic positions so they only do small ACs but you will all be against each other for one job.

Hope this helps
Reply 12
Well I think I had my tests results pretty quickly after a couple days, but as for the overall time scale they were the first company I applied to and the last one to get back to me to invite to telephone interview.

So anyway, App-> Tests in 2 days -> Telephone interview IN 3-4 months and then -> AC invite a few days later

At Atkins the Grad Scheme is closely linked to actual jobs and they don't really have many generic positions so they only do small ACs but you will all be against each other for one job.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information!
Reply 13
What roles did you guys apply to?
Reply 14
I applied for the Highways and Transportation, got the job too :smile:
Reply 15
Hi Mehairy8, Congrats on your offer. Please could you share some hints about the assessment day. Most especially the Technical interview. I also applied for the Highways and Transportation and my Assessment centre is tomorrow. I have problems preparing for the technical part. An overall hint of what is likely to happen on the day will be helpful. thanks in advance
Reply 16
Original post by lekepee
Hi Mehairy8, Congrats on your offer. Please could you share some hints about the assessment day. Most especially the Technical interview. I also applied for the Highways and Transportation and my Assessment centre is tomorrow. I have problems preparing for the technical part. An overall hint of what is likely to happen on the day will be helpful. thanks in advance

Hey Lekepee,

there weren't any transport questions, all structural q's which was a real curve ball for all of us. Its not the hardest q's, mainly 1st and 2nd yr structural mechanics types so I wouldn't worry to much. They're quite friendly so that helped a lot, oh and its non-calculator too.

Which branch are you going for?
Reply 17
Thanks for the hints. i am going to Warrington. I hope it goes well. Thanks
Reply 18
No way!That's where I'll be starting in September

Quick Reply