The Student Room Group

International student, need advice on what to get

Hi, i need help on what to get for university. I've never been to the UK and will be starting university in London this September. I'd appreciate advice on where to shop for clothes, what should I get etc. My budget is around 2000 pounds max for a complete wardrobe. :biggrin:
An umbrella should be your first purchase. Then a rain jacket :P.

In all seriousness, you need clothes for changeable weather. A mix of clothes for warm and cold weather will serve you in good stead. As for specific clothes, anything comfortable and that you like is fine - jeans are especially useful. A suit for job interviews and smart occassions would also be a good idea.
Original post by magicmuggle

In all seriousness, you need clothes for changeable weather. A mix of clothes for warm and cold weather will serve you in good stead. As for specific clothes, anything comfortable and that you like is fine - jeans are especially useful. A suit for job interviews and smart occassions would also be a good idea.

What about shoes. i like adidas trainers but apparently those get you labeled as a chav? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Surely you already own some clothes? I don't really see why an entire new wardrobe is required. £2000 is an insane amount to spent on clothes in one go :|
Original post by Kate.
Surely you already own some clothes? I don't really see why an entire new wardrobe is required. £2000 is an insane amount to spent on clothes in one go :|

i'll try to spend as little as possible obviously :smile:, trying to gauge how much i will take from home also
Reply 5
Original post by Fresh Prince of
Hi, i need help on what to get for university. I've never been to the UK and will be starting university in London this September. I'd appreciate advice on where to shop for clothes, what should I get etc. My budget is around 2000 pounds max for a complete wardrobe. :biggrin:

Original post by magicmuggle

This, he's pretty right, make sure you look around a bit, wear something you like definitely.

A good clothing item with British weather is Uniqlo's heat tech, which a light fabric material but when it's cold, it does keep you pretty warm, it was on sale a while ago, not sure about now.
Don't forget comfort clothing, so clothing which are loose for room wear to relax in :smile:
Original post by Iqbal007
This, he's pretty right, make sure you look around a bit, wear something you like definitely.

A good clothing item with British weather is Uniqlo's heat tech, which a light fabric material but when it's cold, it does keep you pretty warm, it was on sale a while ago, not sure about now.
Don't forget comfort clothing, so clothing which are loose for room wear to relax in :smile:

uniqlo looks good, any other places where i could get more formal wears? trench coats etc.
BUMB
Reply 8
uniqlo looks good, any other places where i could get more formal wears? trench coats etc.

For formal wear try marks & spencer, next . I also recommend Westfield shopping centre cos it's got loads of affordable shops, if you do go there have a look in debenhams.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
My budget is around 2000 pounds max for a complete wardrobe. :biggrin:

£2,000? look towards Armani (for jeans, anything else is going to blow your budget), Lacoste, Ralph Lauren (both for chinos, jackets, polos and shoes) et al... also I have noticed everyone wears A&F, Hollister and Jack Wills so if you want to look like a clone of everyone else then you should look there (also cheaper than the first three I mentioned so you could buy more).

Really though I suggest you find your style and work with it instead of buying clothes just so you can fit in or rub it in :yep:
Original post by tehFrance
£2,000? look towards Armani (for jeans, anything else is going to blow your budget), Lacoste, Ralph Lauren (both for chinos, jackets, polos and shoes) et al... also I have noticed everyone wears A&F, Hollister and Jack Wills so if you want to look like a clone of everyone else then you should look there (also cheaper than the first three I mentioned so you could buy more).

Really though I suggest you find your style and work with it instead of buying clothes just so you can fit in or rub it in :yep:

I'm actually self conscious and the big logos that draw attention (hollister, jack wills etc.) are definitely not my thing. I like clothes like J. Crew, don't know if they have an equivalent in UK>>
Or things like these but without the sales they are a bit pricey too http://uk.tommy.com/Clothing/6211100,en_UK,sc.html
I'm actually self conscious and the big logos that draw attention (hollister, jack wills etc.) are definitely not my thing. I like clothes like J. Crew, don't know if they have an equivalent in UK>>

J. Crew is middle range clothing and the equivalent is Jack Wills I'd say along with A&F and Hollister. You could look at Banana Republic and Urban Outfitters.

Best bet is to go through Style Compare and find what you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending