The Student Room Group

Would you hire yourself for a service role?

This poll is closed

Would you hire yourself for a service role?

Yes 75%
No25%
Total votes: 20
Would you hire yourself in a customer service role (shop assistant, waiting staff etc), knowing what you're actually like as a person?

I wouldn't hire me. I have quite a lot of contempt for people generally and in past jobs it has shown on occasion (mostly in my facial expressions and general demeanour). Of course I was able to convince the interviewer that i'm a sunflower faced, docile idiot who enjoys serving the great unwashed, in order to get the job. All lies.
Yup. I'm a **** hot salesman and have great customer service skills tbh and plenty of experience.

Thing is, no shop would pay me enough to get out of bed these days.
Reply 2
I would, I have experience and I'm able to make a customer think that I like them, and that I really want to help them get the best of whatever the hell they're buying/eating.

I really, really hate every aspect of retail though. But they don't need to know that.
Original post by mikeyd85
Yup. I'm a **** hot salesman and have great customer service skills tbh and plenty of experience.

Thing is, no shop would pay me enough to get out of bed these days.

So what sales have you done Mikey, what were some of your targets and what were yo uselling?
Nope, my ugly mug would probably scare the customers away.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I would hire myself as I am friendly, polite and usually quite helpful. I don't have any experience though, so if I better candidate with experience applied I would have to apply them first.
No, I don't think I could maintain a pretence of happiness and concern about the customers for a whole day.
No.
If I was a shop owner willing to pay someone to to a job, I don't wanna end up doing it myself!! :redface:

Really though, I'm a pretty honest and easygoing person - and willing to work to earn money... So yeah I'd hire me.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
So what sales have you done Mikey, what were some of your targets and what were yo uselling?

Retail sales mainly. If you've ever heard of Rohan, it was for them. It was clothing and travel gear. Couldn't tell you my targets / what I sold now. It was a good 6, maybe 7 years ago now!
Original post by mikeyd85
Retail sales mainly. If you've ever heard of Rohan, it was for them. It was clothing and travel gear. Couldn't tell you my targets / what I sold now. It was a good 6, maybe 7 years ago now!

Yes I've heard of them, ahh ok :smile:
No.
No. I'd look for someone who could take more crap. When I worked in a bar I quickly got fed up of the ones who tried to take the piss and just moved onto the next without serving (taking drinks away and serving someone else if they stood their play-arguing about whose turn it was to pay - before handing those same almost-flat drinks back to them when they decided they wanted it enough to get round to paying). My boss told me I should put up with them for a little longer to ensure I got their custom but I couldn't see the point in me looking an idiot, wasting time, annoying customers who weren't acting like dicks and were willing to pay, all while I was being paid the same crappy wage. I am mardy when I'm in a job I don't care about :tongue:

So no, I'd hire someone who was more interested in dealing with those situations.
Reply 12
No - I can't bear rude customers and I find it SO hard to bite my tongue!
Personally, yes, I would. I have 1 year customer service experience and I am currently in a job where I serve customers, I know I have a lot to learn, but I have learnt a lot and intend to be in a customer service job for the foreseeable future
Yea, I think I'm alright at dealing with ******* customers: it's pretty much just suck up to EVERYONE. The only problems are that I'm rubbish at practical stuff and have to ask 3294890 questions before I get something right, and I'm a massive klutz and spill things 99.99% of the time. But for my Chelsea smile and utter servility, it's totally worth it.
Reply 15
Yep.

I know as much as I have a short temper, doing a good job is rather important to me.

Quick Reply

Latest