The Student Room Group

Apple forced to advertise for Samsung

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/apple-samsung-ruling-forces-computer-giant-run-ads-161541675.html

All I can say is LOL. They deserve this for trying to sue everyone who has anything even remotely similar to their brand/products.

I am waiting for them to start suing apple trees for trademark infringement.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's the problem with minimalist design. If your design is so simple (like a black piece of plastic with a button and a screen), obviously competing products are going to look similar.
Reply 2
Apple aren't trying to sue everybody. All the companies are as bad as each other in this stupid patent war.

As for the ruling? It is slightly ridiculous as it reeks of treating Apple as some sort of naughty schoolboy but if it stops this stupid suing and counter suing culture of the big multinationals, then I couldn't care less. Apple will no doubt appeal and if they fail on that you can sure as hell know that they will get a sly dig in at Samsung considering the same Judge in his verdict called Samsung 'uncool'.
Reply 3
It's a square, every tablets gonna look like it.

And good, if you've been going round claiming they copied you thats essentially libel, and they'd have to rectify it.
A cruel and unusual punishment.
This makes me giggle so much.

That'll teach em.
Reply 6
Good. The lawsuits have been outrageous. I do love Apple products (in their own unique way, along with PCs, Android phones, etc... each for their own reasons, I am no fanboy).
At times though, their business practices suck. But they are a company and their first goal is profit. If they think that being as litigious as they have been in recent years can boost their earnings it's probably time to blame the system not the companies as they aren't the only ones up to these tricks.
Reply 7
The Honourable Judge Briss QC
They [Samsung Galaxy Tablets] do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool. The overall impression produced is different.

:facepalm:

Something tells me he has an iPad.
Reply 8
A win for Apple, in my opinion

Samsung are not "as cool" is the official ruling

Then they can state explicitly that Samsung have not been successful in replicating anything nearly as good as the iPad
Reply 9
I believe Apple are going to appeal this decision.
Reply 10
That judge is a joker. :rofl:
Reply 11
WTF? "not as cool" is a valid legal ruling now? I had to check I wasn't reading a Daily Mail article...
Reply 12
Sounds like the judge is having a laugh tbh. I kinda wonder if his job will be threatened after this tbh.
Reply 13
Original post by tooosh
WTF? "not as cool" is a valid legal ruling now? I had to check I wasn't reading a Daily Mail article...

Well, to be honest he did spend 150 paragraphs talking about the law, the two expert witnesses, the design specs etc. His job was to decide whether Samsung copied Apple, and to do that he needed to be in a position of an "informed user" (someone who knows what tablets are, and wants to buy one, but isn't an expert) and if I'm correct, he was only able to judge if it was a copy by just looking at, not by using it. So the "not as cool" ruling was just a conclusion of all the differences.
Reply 14
Original post by zaliack
Well, to be honest he did spend 150 paragraphs talking about the law, the two expert witnesses, the design specs etc. His job was to decide whether Samsung copied Apple, and to do that he needed to be in a position of an "informed user" (someone who knows what tablets are, and wants to buy one, but isn't an expert) and if I'm correct, he was only able to judge if it was a copy by just looking at, not by using it. So the "not as cool" ruling was just a conclusion of all the differences.

Still though, it's kind of hard to believe after all that his conclusion was "not as cool".
So wait, Apple can somehow claim the rights to such a generic and simple design yet Microsoft can't claim rights to the name 'tablet' despite making the first one ten years ago?
Reply 16
Original post by Snagprophet
So wait, Apple can somehow claim the rights to such a generic and simple design yet Microsoft can't claim rights to the name 'tablet' despite making the first one ten years ago?

No, that's why they lost.
Original post by zaliack
No, that's why they lost.

Well hopefully Apple will get put in it's place by this.
Reply 18
Original post by Snagprophet
Well hopefully Apple will get put in it's place by this.

I hope not. A lot of lawyers benefit from Apples feeble attempts to maximise profits :P
Original post by zaliack
I hope not. A lot of lawyers benefit from Apples feeble attempts to maximise profits :P

Aha good point.

Quick Reply