The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi,

I know this seems to be for under-grad. Is there anyone who can start a similar post for post-grad? I dont know how to do it!
Reply 21
Original post by disgracieful
Hey guys,
It's me again. I've been having problems at getting any work experience at local hospitals etc, so I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas about where else to get some? Also, if the luck happens that any of you live in the Surrey area, do you know any where that may have any openings at all.

I also ordered that book of Amazon. Cost me £20!

Hey i also live in the Surrey area and was wondering if yu did end up finding work experience since you posted this in 2011? I'm gonna start phoning up the heads speech and language therapy departments in the area so i hope that works.
Reply 22
Hi,

I just posted a similar post in the 2012 entry for SLT because I'm not sure which year yet.. I'm still waiting to hear back from City Uni and then see if anything happens in Clearing!

Anyone else in a similar situation? and are there any Access students out there? I was oringinally going to study Nursing and have since changed my mind! lol and now find myself waiting for news and constantly checking my emails..

Anyone else thinking of applying to UEA? I had an interview for them for adult nursing but they rejected me. I also hear Sheffield is really good!

Kat
Reply 23
Hey,

I'm also applying for Speech and language therapy in 2013. I'm not entirely sure where I'll apply yet, except for UWIC of which I'm 100% sure. The thing about UWIC is that it's in Wales and I'm a fan of everything Welsh, especially the language (yes, I'm not Welsh, but I've been learning it). Although Cardiff is not exceptionally Welsh-speaking (only 11% according to the new census), it provides a lot opportunities for someone as Welsh-crazy as me :wink: I suppose (well, hope, really!) that my knowledge of Welsh will count as an asset!

It won't be my first degree, because by the time the course starts, I will already have finished my first degree (not in UK though) - English and Celtic, with lots of linguistics. Since I've always been good at phonetics/phonology (at the moment I'm writing my BA dissertation on Welsh phonology), I hope they will take that into consideration too, especially that I didn't take British A-Levels, because I did my education in Poland. I didn't take any science-related subjects either, but I'm rectifying that by taking Biology this year.
Xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Eryr
Hey,

I'm also applying for Speech and language therapy in 2013. I'm not entirely sure where I'll apply yet, except for UWIC of which I'm 100% sure. The thing about UWIC is that it's in Wales and I'm a fan of everything Welsh, especially the language (yes, I'm not Welsh, but I've been learning it). Although Cardiff is not exceptionally Welsh-speaking (only 11% according to the new census), it provides a lot opportunities for someone as Welsh-crazy as me :wink: I suppose (well, hope, really!) that my knowledge of Welsh will count as an asset!

It won't be my first degree, because by the time the course starts, I will already have finished my first degree (not in UK though) - English and Celtic, with lots of linguistics. Since I've always been good at phonetics/phonology (at the moment I'm writing my BA dissertation on Welsh phonology), I hope they will take that into consideration too, especially that I didn't take British A-Levels, because I did my education in Poland. I didn't take any science-related subjects either, but I'm rectifying that by taking Biology this year.

Sounds like you have a fantastic chance! You have much more to offer than me, and I got an offer from UWIC. Best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 26
Hi,

I'm just starting the application process for SLT. I am doing some shadowing with my local NHS clinic but they can only offer me one full day so I'm looking at doing some work in nursing homes, nurseries etc. I'm basically just wondering if anyone had any exprienfe of SLT courses as I'm struggling to figure out which would suit me best. I'm a mature student (well 23) and have a little boy who will be almost three when I start uni so I'm looking for somewhere supportive and that offers a good balance of clinical placements and academic work. If anyone can give me any info / advice that would be fab!!! :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by Hannahgreen
Hello :smile: I'm applying for 2013 entry!

I'm applying for Manchester and Manchester Met for SALT and also at Manchester Met for the Speech Pathology & Psychology course there. I'm a little worried that I'm narrowing my options by only applying to these two unis, but I live in Liverpool and don't want to live away from home when I go to uni!

Unfortunately, none of the universities in Liverpool do any speech and language therapy courses :frown:

Hi! I was thinking of doing the same thing. I'm originally from near Liverpool (I'm currently living inherefordshire) but would love to come back home. There are only 14 places on the psych combined course at Manchester Met which is slightly concerning!!! Good
Luck though!!
Original post by Becs1105
Hi! I was thinking of doing the same thing. I'm originally from near Liverpool (I'm currently living inherefordshire) but would love to come back home. There are only 14 places on the psych combined course at Manchester Met which is slightly concerning!!! Good
Luck though!!

Ahhhh I know! It's terrifying hahaha. Where are going going to apply then? :smile: and good luck, too!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 29
Ahhhh I know! It's terrifying hahaha. Where are going going to apply then? :smile: and good luck, too!

At the min I'm thinking both Manchester unis, Leeds and perhaps Birmingham and Marjon. I really liked the look of the Newcastle course but not sure I want to live there. I'll be moving with my partner and 2 year old so I really want to make sure we get the right place. Are you going to apply anywhere other than Manchester?
Original post by Becs1105
At the min I'm thinking both Manchester unis, Leeds and perhaps Birmingham and Marjon. I really liked the look of the Newcastle course but not sure I want to live there. I'll be moving with my partner and 2 year old so I really want to make sure we get the right place. Are you going to apply anywhere other than Manchester?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
I don't think so, I really want to stay at home! But I don't know if it's silly narrowing my options like that? I just don't think it's practical for me to live away from home, financially it'd be a struggle and I know I'd miss home too much hahaha

Yeah it could be worth you going to look at some others just in case as there don't seem to be many places on SLT courses. Depends if moving really isn't an option then I guess you just have to hope for the best! I know when I first did a UCAS application, in 2008, I was always told to use up all five choices just to be on the safe side. are you planning to do any work experience? My local health authority can only offer me a day which doesn't seem all that much!!
Reply 32
Original post by Spence_LJS
Sounds like you have a fantastic chance! You have much more to offer than me, and I got an offer from UWIC. Best of luck with your application :smile:

Hey, thanks for the kind word, I really hope you're right :smile: How much work experience did you have? Is SLT your first degree or second like, it seems, many others' here? :smile:
Reply 33
Really excited to start the application process in september! Just finished my AS exams in biology, ICT, geography and psychology, although i think Ill drop psychology next year. I think im going to apply to Jordanstown (NI), Marjon, 2x Manchester, birmingham and UEA.

Im really worried about my lack of experience. I live in Northern Ireland, and here its really hard to get any experience in a SLT setting. Ive bugged my local SLT centres for months, but nobody will take me at all.

Other, non SLT specific experience that i have includes;

-helping out at childrens meeting in our church
-being a sunday school teacher
-one week in a nursing home
-being a 'peer-mentor' at a group for young people with disabilities
-casual summer job giving 'Disability awareness' talks at local summer schemes
-week in a local newspaper office, writing reports, answering phones etc
-member of St john Ambulance for 3 years

Sorry this is so long, ive just written everything i can think of! do you think the uni's will punish me for not obtaining specific SLT experience? do you think this experience is enough?

thanks,
ali
Reply 34
Original post by alison.joy
Really excited to start the application process in september! Just finished my AS exams in biology, ICT, geography and psychology, although i think Ill drop psychology next year. I think im going to apply to Jordanstown (NI), Marjon, 2x Manchester, birmingham and UEA.

Im really worried about my lack of experience. I live in Northern Ireland, and here its really hard to get any experience in a SLT setting. Ive bugged my local SLT centres for months, but nobody will take me at all.

Other, non SLT specific experience that i have includes;

-helping out at childrens meeting in our church
-being a sunday school teacher
-one week in a nursing home
-being a 'peer-mentor' at a group for young people with disabilities
-casual summer job giving 'Disability awareness' talks at local summer schemes
-week in a local newspaper office, writing reports, answering phones etc
-member of St john Ambulance for 3 years

Sorry this is so long, ive just written everything i can think of! do you think the uni's will punish me for not obtaining specific SLT experience? do you think this experience is enough?

thanks,
ali

Hi Alison. I'm a 2012 applicant and I recieved 5/5 offers, including offers from Manchester and UEA. I just wanted to reassure you that not many of us had actual observation experience with Speech and Language Therapists, and those that did were extremely lucky because the situation you're in is frustratingly common.
Some of your non-specific work experience is a lot more relevant than you think, and the key thing to do in your personal statement is to emphasise all the relevant skills you gained and link them to important skills in SLT.
For example, you worked in a nursing home, so presumably you developed your skills in patience, communication, teamwork with other health professionals etc. You're a peer mentor for disabled youngsters so you're obviously friendly and approachable, and you know how communication difficulties affect individuals in their confidence and ability to make friends. You're giving disability awareness talks, which shows that you're passionate about all these issues, and also shows that you're confident and good at speaking to strangers. SJA again shows all these same skills.
In conclusion, you're a confident individual who doesn't find it difficult to speak to new people, can work in a team, are patient and friendly, and have knowledge of why SLT is important. if you can convey all that in your PS, you're good to go, and you didn't even need that SLT-specific information :wink:
Reply 35
Original post by Eryr
Hey, thanks for the kind word, I really hope you're right :smile: How much work experience did you have? Is SLT your first degree or second like, it seems, many others' here? :smile:

No it's going to be my second; I already have an English degree from the University of Sheffield. Experience wise, I guess I didn't have as much as other people (I only decided in August 2011 that I wanted to study SLT and I submitted my application in November 2011):

- two days shadowing SLTs in a SEN school
- a day shadowing an SLT who worked in the SEN department of a mainstream college
- a day shadowing a paediatric SLT in clinic
- attended an SLT-specific open day at my local hospital
- went on the two day Citylit course, which involved meeting a variety of SLT clients (two people who stammer, two who have aphasia following a stroke, and two have had a laryngectomy)
- went on the two day SLT course at Northwick Hospital (both of these are recommended!), which including shadowing an SLT in a neuro-rehabilitation ward

I also mentioned working as a camp counsellor for Camp America, too, and talked about the reading I had done (including self-directed internet research, watching videos of therapy sessions etc).

It seems like a lot written down, but time-scale wise it really wasn't that much (compared to some other applicants). The main thing, though, was that I was able to demonstrate how each experience had developed my understanding of what SLT involves etc.

I applied to UEA, Manchester, UWIC, Leeds and Reading. I received offers from the last three but withdrew from UEA and Manchester because I wanted to accept Reading :smile:

Hope this helps.
Reply 36
Original post by juliewho
Hi Alison. I'm a 2012 applicant and I recieved 5/5 offers, including offers from Manchester and UEA. I just wanted to reassure you that not many of us had actual observation experience with Speech and Language Therapists, and those that did were extremely lucky because the situation you're in is frustratingly common.

thanks JULIEWHO. its good to know that alot of other people are in the same boat. btw, what university did you end up going to? and what do you think of it?
Reply 37
Original post by alison.joy
thanks JULIEWHO. its good to know that alot of other people are in the same boat. btw, what university did you end up going to? and what do you think of it?

I'm not quite there yet, I'll be starting in September hopefully. Newcastle is my first choice and Sheffield is my second. :smile:
Reply 38
I'm not quite there yet, I'll be starting in September hopefully. Newcastle is my first choice and Sheffield is my second. :smile:

silly me! should have read your first reply properly! lol. well, good luck with your exam results, and i hope you get into Newcastle.
xx
Reply 39

Hello! I noticed you're a 2012 applicant. Just wondered if you'd been to look around many unis? Its just confusing mr knowing where yo apply haha. All the courses look good on paper :smile:.

Latest