The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Thanks I'm still able to work with the public in a supermarket, but I cant keep conversations going, like I'm okay serving and dealing with customers but the moment it goes like off script I stumble my words and get extremely nervous. My social life is like non existent. I'm moving away to a residential college in 6 weeks and although I'm excited I am so frightened because I don't want to be the outcast. I have been prescribed setraline by my cpn and I'm hoping in having some cbt before I leave. Thank you for your advice.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi, I don't have SAD myself, but there is an anxiety society where you might be able to find some people with similar experiences. :redface:
Hi :smile:, I agree, the biggest and best thing you can do to help you will be practice.

The more social situations you put yourself in the easier they will become. I know the idea of talking to and approaching people (especially those you don't know or groups) can be daunting, but perhaps you could set yourself little targets like starting with small interactions and working up.

Its important to remember that it will take time, and you will have bad days where interactions feel very difficult and overwhelming but you will also have days where things feel slightly easier and more natural. Overtime with practice interactions with others will start to feel easier and easier.

Try to remember the good days you have because the more you get caught up in thinking you can't talk to people the more anxious you're going to make yourself and the more challenging it will become.

Also don't forget that conversation is a two way thing so don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Hope things do start to improve for you,
xx

(edited 11 years ago)
In a way. Everybody does.
But; I suppose, as with all things, it's when it starts to affect your ability to function in life that it at a level requiring attention.
First; oxygen. Oxygen inhaled through the nose enters the brain via. a COMPLETELY different system than that through the lungs.
The septum (or interconnecting tissue between the nostrils) permits oxygen to enter almost instantaneously.
In fact; so quick is it, that a "quick snort" upon standing up too quickly can remove giddiness completely and render the sufferer instantly coherent.
My brother always says: Beware of people who are too keen to engraciate themselves to you...
Also; the hardest lesson in life to learn is which bridges to cross and which bridges to burn (my emphasis...).
Recently, shyness has been shown to be at least in part to a "shy gene." Doctors were/are unsure as to the efficacy of the replacement spray, because it carries the risk with it that the person, thus uninhibited ; will embark upon reckless relationships, the likes of which they would not ordinarily entertain.
Confidence comes in time. In fact; pretty soon, other things in life will draw you into a growth pattern and before you know it, you'll be a bloomed, full bodied flower, able to attract even the most disinterested of bees. Fact.
But; your resistance is there for a reason (as is certain fear...). Learn to trust your instincts. Set a "multi-layer" approach to how you allow people into your kingdom, and it will never cease to serve you well.
Don't invite people you meet at the bus stop to dinner at your parents (they might turn out to be a serial killer )! But; if you can be intimate somewhere else, and they're happy not to know where you live or whatnot, then that might serve you well also.
I'm not suggesting you become a dirty stop out.
But; hone your natural skill to not suffer fools gladly...
Though i haven't been diagnosed by a professional, i have the symptoms of SAD too. It's horrible. You feel like you're only comfortable in your own little bubble, trying to avoid most social interactions.

I get very irritable in social situations situations, are you the same? and I also sweat (though not profusely). It's quite sad really, in uni, i feel the most comfortable when I've popped to the toilet (or somewhere just as quiet), simply because there's very rarely anyone in there, i can finally relax, even if it's only for a few minutes.

I have though been going out more and more to try and ease the anxiety, it does work, just takes ages to get comfortable, suggest you ease into it also if it's possible, does help.
Reply 3025
Doing some meditation helps. When you're nervous you aren't in the present moment, you're running away with your irrational thoughts, trying to flee. Meditation trains you in accepting the present moment and staying there. Learning that you can stay there. Try 10 minutes a day of sitting down and keep coming back to the breath, letting the thoughts go. Noticing they are just transient things. You don't have to listen to them.
Original post by Incomplete
Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with sever SAD, I'm just wondering if anyone else has this disorder. Whats it like for you? Does medication or cbt help? What has helped you?

Sorry if I posted this time

Hello. How badly does this affect you?

It's pretty severe for me, I have been diagnosed about two years ago. I started to notice it around 6 years ago. I didn't feel normal or like everybody else when outside, or even in social situations indoors. I would avoid going to busy places in the daytime but would be OK at night, I was just very self-conscious. Over the next 4 years it went from that to making excuses not to turn up to anything I was invited to like going to the pub. My friends would get annoyed by it and have a go at me which made me feel like a failure, got some pretty nasty texts which didn't help and made me feel worthless. I've missed a lot of special things like my 21st birthday and stuff like that where I've just been sat in my bedroom on my own.

Now it's at the stage where I don't leave my house at all unless it's about 3am and I walk to the cashpoint with nobody around to get my parents' rent money. The last time I went outside in the daytime on my own was three years ago, which does sound bad typing it. I easily go months at a time not stepping outside of my house at all, even in the garden. I don't have any friends at all now, they have all moved on and I do get incredibly lonely but it has reached a point now where it just feels normal.

I have had councilling but it didn't help as the man made me feel uncomfortable. My doctor said he would prescribe me drugs but I didn't want to take them as I don't think they're necessary, I don't agree with them. So I guess all of the above is how it affects me.

Didn't mean to type such a long post but just trying to give as much information as possible.
Original post by Anonymous

It's pretty severe for me, I have been diagnosed about two years ago. I started to notice it around 6 years ago. I didn't feel normal or like everybody else when outside, or even in social situations indoors. I would avoid going to busy places in the daytime but would be OK at night, I was just very self-conscious. Over the next 4 years it went from that to making excuses not to turn up to anything I was invited to like going to the pub. My friends would get annoyed by it and have a go at me which made me feel like a failure, got some pretty nasty texts which didn't help and made me feel worthless. I've missed a lot of special things like my 21st birthday and stuff like that where I've just been sat in my bedroom on my own.

Now it's at the stage where I don't leave my house at all unless it's about 3am and I walk to the cashpoint with nobody around to get my parents' rent money. The last time I went outside in the daytime on my own was three years ago, which does sound bad typing it. I easily go months at a time not stepping outside of my house at all, even in the garden. I don't have any friends at all now, they have all moved on and I do get incredibly lonely but it has reached a point now where it just feels normal.

I have had councilling but it didn't help as the man made me feel uncomfortable. My doctor said he would prescribe me drugs but I didn't want to take them as I don't think they're necessary, I don't agree with them. So I guess all of the above is how it affects me.

Didn't mean to type such a long post but just trying to give as much information as possible.

Hi again. Thank you everyone for your advice and concern the level of support on this forum is unbelievable. It's like the stigma is gone.

I have been socially awkward since I first went to high school. It has gradually gotten worse over the years, my social circle seems to get smaller every year. I am still able to leave the house with my headphones in, If I walk past a group of people I get extremely nervous about everything I possibly could, I worry a lot and one thing that I seem to focus on a lot when passing groups is my walk and I'm so nervous and paying a lot of attention to it my leg sometimes jolts or my footwork messes up, thankfully I have never fallen over but still so much embarrassment in that alone.

Like I said I can still work. And I'm back at work now was signed off for the first half of this year, I was getting bullied by my manager and everyone on my department for18 months, until I couldn't deal with life anymore. They told me everyday to kill myself so I tried, stupid move I am aware but my actions got me signed off work and a psychiatrist.

I am now worse than I have ever been, even though I am working on a different department which deals more with the public my ability to communicate to others has significantly decreased. Its now at a point where I'm depressed, I'm on suicide watch and I just want to be normal.

I'm okay with my family. My social circle has been destroyed. I have one friend left who is in th army so I hardly see them.

I only leave the house if I have to. Like work or doctors/cpn appointments. I'm living in soo much fear right now.

It's just really amazing to find such a supportive and friendly community online. Thanks for your advice and support. Sorry for the long post.

I think I'm sort of heading this way, but managing to keep my head above water so to speak by pretty much forcing myself to meet up with the few friends I have. Luckily they don't intimidate me. Things are not nearly as bad as they seem; or nearly as bad as you think they're going to be. cause in all honesty peoople are too preoccupied with their own lives to consider a passerby for long. It can get quite isolating and so depressing; I know you probably feel like there's no point in even trying; like you're a lost cause. This is not the case. No one is ever a lost cause; don't feel like you've wasted 3 years, because you've many to come, and you can sort out this anxiety. A lot of it's to do with a lack of self confidence. So as silly as it may sound, make yourself feel good, make yourself look good. This will give you a little urge to get out there. I would really advise you get some form of therapy, whether that be them calming drugs or even speaking to someone. I know it's quite ironic that to get help for social anxiety requires you to speak to someone - which is terrifying. Get a parent to ring up; please don't be sitting in on your own thinking you don't deserve it, these people are here to help, and they want to help you. I still suffer from it, but can get about day to day if I build myself up for it; I barely speak to people, but have taken on an 'i don't care' attitude. It's still difficult, but please try.
x

sorry didn't mean to neg rep you! (browsing on my phone and accidently clicked on that part)
I just woke up feeling absolutely horrible and scared, my heart was beating really fast and I felt sick. I feel like this every day and I've been on Propranolol for more than half a year now. I couldn't live without my meds but at the same time I wish I'd get better.. This is so frustrating.
Original post by forgetamine
I just woke up feeling absolutely horrible and scared, my heart was beating really fast and I felt sick. I feel like this every day and I've been on Propranolol for more than half a year now. I couldn't live without my meds but at the same time I wish I'd get better.. This is so frustrating.

What time do you take them and what dose, if you dont mind me asking.
Please go. Self-doubts etc before going somewhere is completely normal, even to people with just shyness/ milder social anxiety. People won't expect you to be chatty all day every day. Nerves are bound to set in now, but try not to consider it too much until you go, and then take each day as it comes. Adapt a positive mindset; people won't think you strange for being quiet, they'll just assume that's the kind of person you are. people don't usually think too much of other people anyway, they're all going to have a good time. I'm willing to bet that the whole experience won't be as bad as you think. You might have shaky or slightly anxious moments, but it sounds like a situation where you can run on adrenaline, and cope with social events. If you allow youreself too much time to dwell on things, it'll make you apprehensive; just go, and relax, you're not trying to impress anyone or win a personality contest.

Thanks, I have booked it. :redface:
It is somewhere I really want to go, would have regretted passing it up. There's only four of us, so I guess that's not too bad. I'm definitely going to nervous though, it does almost seem like I'm the outsider going here. You're right, adrenaline should get me through it, I think I can manage to be reasonable sociable for just over a week. I guess I'm just worried that I have paid out all this money only to stress through every minute of it, but yeah, positive mindset... :tongue:

Hi, there! Same here! I've been on Propanolol & Citalopram for a week or so. Since you've been on these meds for half a year, could you tell me if they've helped you overcome your issues? You say your heart is beating fast everyday and your are feeling horrible so that doesn't sound good to me. And plz tell me if you've been experiencing any serious side-effects! That's all I need to know man!
Anon as I know people on here :smile:

I've been on propanolol for about three weeks now for anxiety and although they stop my heart racing and feeling sick with nerves I still can't seem to deal with the mental or emotional aspect of anxiety such as the constant worrying and thinking. I was wondering should I go back to my GP to see if I can change my meds? Any advice? :smile:
Original post by puddledancer
What time do you take them and what dose, if you dont mind me asking.

I take them in the morning when I wake up, 80mg every day.
Original post by jimmyhe07
Hi, there! Same here! I've been on Propanolol & Citalopram for a week or so. Since you've been on these meds for half a year, could you tell me if they've helped you overcome your issues? You say your heart is beating fast everyday and your are feeling horrible so that doesn't sound good to me. And plz tell me if you've been experiencing any serious side-effects! That's all I need to know man!

well before I started taking Propranolol I had a lot of panic attacks and didn't leave the house at all. After a while I started to feel better but I think I've experienced a few side effects over the past months such as chest pain, feeling light headed, being tired. Sometimes I feel horrible especially when I wake up but I'm not sure why, I'll have to tell my GP tomorrow and see what happens.

Just give it a go and see how they work for you. They can have different effects on different people. If you experience bad side effects tell your GP immediately.
Anon as I know people on here :smile:

I've been on propanolol for about three weeks now for anxiety and although they stop my heart racing and feeling sick with nerves I still can't seem to deal with the mental or emotional aspect of anxiety such as the constant worrying and thinking. I was wondering should I go back to my GP to see if I can change my meds? Any advice? :smile:

I'm on Propranolol and I have the same problem, I told my GP about it and he said that the meds are only supposed to stop the physical symptoms but to stop the worrying the best thing is to see a counsellor / do CBT. Just tell your GP about it and they can refer you.
I take them in the morning when I wake up, 80mg every day.

Have you thought of splitting it like 60mg in the morning and 20mg when you go bed?

I used to take some before I went bed and it really helped.
Original post by puddledancer
Have you thought of splitting it like 60mg in the morning and 20mg when you go bed?

I used to take some before I went bed and it really helped.

It's all in one capsule but I could ask my GP.. sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest