The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Yes, and I intentionally ignore them/not look at them. I feel pathetic stroking their ego. Conversely I smile at the ones who are dressed "normally" to give them that extra confidence boost.
actually quite surprised at what people find 'cheap' on this thread.
image1xl.jpg
Is that cheap?
I wear dresses like that all the time, never have i even considered myself to come across that way! So what if it isn't a turtle neck, with flowing skirt down to my knee. Nothing wrong with it. I wont be slim forever so many aswell get some 'glory days' on the go now.
Original post by Movember
before you say, this isnt a thread designed to get at anyone. it is for my own curiosity. on nights out, the vast majority of girls wear obviously revealing clothes and makeup to match (yes there are some who wear knee length dresses, fairly high cut in the bust area and have toned down makeup, but these are exceptions).

i was wondering if girls consciously make the effort to go for this cheap/easy look? i have asked a number of people in real life. some people say that girls and guys are basically the same in terms of sex drive and wanting attention- girls want attention and want to get with the fit guys, just like guys want attention and want to get with the fit girls. the only difference is guys' standards are a bit lower (so change 'fit girls' to 'almost any girl').

other people i have asked say that girls wear these things to make them feel confident. so why dont they wear short skirts (barely covering their bum), low cut dresses and lots of makeup during the day?

other people say girls follow the crowd- other girls are wearing similar revealing clothing so no one wants to look like the odd one out.

back to the question: Do most girls actively go for the cheap/easy look on a night out?

I can only speak from experience here...

I wear whatever I feel like wearing on a night out. I am in an amazing relationship and don't give a **** if people find me attractive or ugly - I do not go out to please the people around me. Instead, my clothing choices are driven by how I feel, and the people i am with.

I.E, last time I was out it wasn't planned (last minute), I hadn't been shopping for a new outfit or anything, I felt bloated, icky, and had a long shift at work therefore I went out wearing skinny jeans and a floaty blouse that covered everything with flats and a smidge of makeup (not much, I sweat like a pig when I'm out and it just runs off... waste of makeup really). However, the time before this, there was a huge number of girls going out to celebrate our friend getting a 2:1 and we had arranged weeks in advance what we were going to do, who was going etc etc. I was excited for it, and went out and bought a really nice new dress, had ages to get ready as I wasn't at work and felt really good about myself. I went out wearing something that showed off my boobs, bum and legs.

Oddly enough, I am approached more when I make less of an effort, but as I said I have no intention of attracting men when I'm out so I really don't care about this, it just depends :smile:

Also, come to Newcastle. At 1pm today outside of IKEA, there was a group of about 10 girls ALL wearing denim shorts that didn't even cover their bum, those bandeaux top things that are basically bras with heels on... There are people who dress to impress all day rather than just at night :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Jessica20
You cant dress "sexy" other than at nightclubs and bars. Its not cheap and being easy. Some girls do look cheap because they come from low income families and work at dead-end jobs with no education past secondary school.

When i was 16-17 i used to go to local towns/malls dressed in bodycon mini skirts from mid-thigh to just about showing the bottom of my bum cheeks, with knee high boots, high heels, (sometimes) platform 6" high heels, because ive always had nice looking legs. Sure i used to get the odd looks from some people but a lot of other people gave us the attention me and my friend was looking for.

Some girls really didnt like how we were dressed, its not like we looked cheap either. Having fit guys checking us out ALL the time worked great for my confidence. Seeing guys with their girlfriends eyeing us up, looking back to see if he looks back to check us out, giving him the eye/smile as he walks past with his girlfriend giving the dead eye. Then we started going to nightclubs so we just lost interest for flirting around town.

Most people on this forum dont seem at all interested in it all, as if its a horrible way to dress the guys just dont like it. Yet pretty much all guys ive ever been out with have liked it when i dress "sexy" or slutty as people on this forum call it, some have even bought me a dress to wear for when im out with them... some very revealing dresses id *never* wear around town in the afternoon..
Just never ever go commando with a very short mini dress on, its more hassle than its worth.

You sound like the girls that I absolutely hate with passion the ones that try and steal boyfriends away.
You might not dress slutty but you CERTAINLY act it! Grow up you're pathetic!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Astronomical
Which, there are 5 you could be referring too? The top one is my favourite. :drool:

Oh...heh....guess I didn't scroll down. The only 'hot' dresses which would look alright in a club are the bottom 3. All the slutty ones are worrying.
Original post by Jadelyndsey

I wear whatever I feel like wearing on a night out. I am in an amazing relationship and don't give a **** if people find me attractive or ugly - I do not go out to please the people around me. Instead, my clothing choices are driven by how I feel, and the people i am with.

I.E, last time I was out it wasn't planned (last minute), I hadn't been shopping for a new outfit or anything, I felt bloated, icky, and had a long shift at work therefore I went out wearing skinny jeans and a floaty blouse that covered everything with flats and a smidge of makeup (not much, I sweat like a pig when I'm out and it just runs off... waste of makeup really). However, the time before this, there was a huge number of girls going out to celebrate our friend getting a 2:1 and we had arranged weeks in advance what we were going to do, who was going etc etc. I was excited for it, and went out and bought a really nice new dress, had ages to get ready as I wasn't at work and felt really good about myself. I went out wearing something that showed off my boobs, bum and legs.

Oddly enough, I am approached more when I make less of an effort, but as I said I have no intention of attracting men when I'm out so I really don't care about this, it just depends :smile:

Also, come to Newcastle. At 1pm today outside of IKEA, there was a group of about 10 girls ALL wearing denim shorts that didn't even cover their bum, those bandeaux top things that are basically bras with heels on... There are people who dress to impress all day rather than just at night :smile:

EXACTLY! +rep
Original post by RachelSophia
actually quite surprised at what people find 'cheap' on this thread.
image1xl.jpg
Is that cheap?
I wear dresses like that all the time, never have i even considered myself to come across that way! So what if it isn't a turtle neck, with flowing skirt down to my knee. Nothing wrong with it. I wont be slim forever so many aswell get some 'glory days' on the go now.

That's not 'cheap' looking at all. It's when the girls' arse cheeks hang out of the bottom and they're clearing trying to show as much of their boobs as they can that it's 'cheap' or 'slutty' looking. :h:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Oh...heh....guess I didn't scroll down. The only 'hot' dresses which would look alright in a club are the bottom 3. All the slutty ones are worrying.

Indeed, worrying they most certainly are. :tongue:

But, seriously, how can you dis the first 'hot' dress? It's fab! I'd be drawn like a magnet to a girl wearing that, where ever it was! :colondollar:
Original post by RachelSophia
EXACTLY! +rep

Haha thank you! I love how men always think girls dress with a motive. All girls are different, and dress for different reasons but I think the majority of us dress in whatever mood we are in :smile:

In all fairness though, I know lads who take longer to get ready than I do... I think boys put more effort into nights out than they realise sometimes :smile:
Original post by Jadelyndsey

Yep, living in NE England (not for much longer, thankfully) I can attest that this sort of dress is typical for girls from about the age of 13/14 in all situations. The worst part is, they think it looks good.

If you've got any sense, don't come to Newcastle (or the NE in general, to be honest).
Reply 70
In some cases id say that they do, however quite often they dont and just dress up to have a good time and look good, also its often the perception of what they are wearing from the boys point if view. Just because a girl wears a short skirt doesnt mean shes cheap and easy. :smile:
Reply 71
Stop using straw-man arguments. :facepalm:

It's clear that a ball-gown is inappropriate for a night club, however it is not the case that one must either wear a dress that is far too revealing or a full on ball gown. There are happy mediums, which is what look best. Like, say, a just-above-the-knee pencil dress would look just fine. :dontknow:

If you read the context you'll understand that's not what I'm saying. The poster said that a woman can look sexy without showing any flesh (not even the bottom of her legs). I said they could but the place for that was somewhere like a prom not a club and that if a girl wore a prom dress to a nightclub she'd look out of place. The poster then said that was opinion not fact as if he actually thought a girl could blend in at a nightclub in her prom dress.

Edit: Your above definition of a slutty dress is pretty much the same as the one I gave which the poster I quoted was disagreeing with.
(edited 11 years ago)
Indeed, worrying they most certainly are. :tongue:

But, seriously, how can you dis the first 'hot' dress? It's fab! I'd be drawn like a magnet to a girl wearing that, where ever it was! :colondollar:

It looks like a tacky prom dress, not the sort of thing you'd wear to a club...maybe a 16th birthday party or something! I guess everyone has different ideas of what's stylish though...
Yep, living in NE England (not for much longer, thankfully) I can attest that this sort of dress is typical for girls from about the age of 13/14 in all situations. The worst part is, they think it looks good.

If you've got any sense, don't come to Newcastle (or the NE in general, to be honest).

I go to a catholic all girls school, (well did, left now hopefully!) and when I go out, I often see year 9's/10's completely wasted laying lifeless on street corners basically naked. There has been countless cases of rape, pregnancy, girls taken into hospital from spiked drinks etc in girls as young as 13. It's disgusting.

My sister is almost 17 and has no interest in alcohol, going out, or flaunting what she has. I find it odd that people her age and younger have even in jest called her a weirdo for preferring to stay inside and read a book... WHAT?!?! Crazy stuff man!

Also, I like Newcastle :frown: haha!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
It looks like a tacky prom dress, not the sort of thing you'd wear to a club...maybe a 16th birthday party or something! I guess everyone has different ideas of what's stylish though...

I agree with this... I think every girl at my year 11 prom wore something similar to this in a variety of colours.

NOT something you would wear to town!
People should have their own style.

Personally, I think us girls should leave something to the imagination :sexface:

I'm not really a fan of tight bodycon or boring shift dresses with skyscraper heels, but that's just me.
Original post by StacFace
Would something like this be more appropriate?

The bold sounds like you're describing a dress to buy for your Mum or possibly Nanna.

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/188093
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/185610
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/191076

I'd say something like the above would appear classy. The girl's behaviour also plays quite a big part in pulling the 'classy' look off, you can't look like you have class if you're acting like an idiot.

The third one is a bit iffy, it can look extremely sophisticated depending on who wears it. (Victoria Beckham would be able to pull that off).
Original post by chocolate buttons
People should have their own style.

Personally, I think us girls should leave something to the imagination :sexface:

I'm not really a fan of tight bodycon or boring shift dresses with skyscraper heels, but that's just me.

Yeah same here, I don't really like the look. I love dresses and skirts but I don't like them to be too figure hugging etc.

I don't like clubbing so I avoid this whole clothing scenario altogether :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by Strawberrycayk
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/188093
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/185610
http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/191076

I'd say something like the above would appear classy. The girl's behaviour also plays quite a big part in pulling the 'classy' look off, you can't look like you have class if you're acting like an idiot.

The third one is a bit iffy, it can look extremely sophisticated depending on who wears it. (Victoria Beckham would be able to pull that off).

Ignoring the price tags they're nice but they're not really suitable for clubbing, though I don't think the second would be too bad. If I was to wear them then I'd probably wear the first on a cruise ship, the second at a meal for an older relative's birthday and the third to a professional function.
Original post by StacFace
Ignoring the price tags they're nice but they're not really suitable for clubbing, though I don't think the second would be too bad. If I was to wear them then I'd probably wear the first on a cruise ship, the second at a meal for an older relative's birthday and the third to a professional function.

Haha yeah I know, definitely not something someone would wear at a club (and yeahh the price tag was supposed to be ignored xD) I was just trying to provide examples of what can be classed as classy :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending