The Student Room Group

How do I get a job!? How did you get yours?

I've applied for about 100 jobs now! I've applied online for ads via gumtree (retail/waitress/bar work), and I've also applied for for retail positions both online and by going around handing out my CV to shop managers.. no luck!

I don't understand where I'm going wrong? My CV is obviously not amazing as I'm only 18 so don't have tons of experience - but I have good grades and although I haven't previously had retail/waitress/bar work I've had work experience as a school assistant and also worked as a hostess in a restaurant.

I don't understand how such rude/unenthusiastic people in my local Tesco/H&M etc have a job and I can't even get one interview? :confused:
I'm 19 and I've had 7 jobs :colondollar:
I worked at Domino's by walking in after my mum had mentioned to them I was looking for a job and they told me to come down on the friday. I worked in a butchers because I seen they had a Saturday job going, worst experience of my life and I was ridiculously bullied there. I worked in Game over Christmas as when I went in to hand in my cv (in summer) I told the manager to write his name on the top of it and to write Christmas temp, I then got a call from him in October with him asking why his handwriting was on my cv and I said it was because he was going to hire me. I got an interview then the job. That was only for Christmas though. I worked at Clinton Cards over Valentines and Mother's Day for a couple of weeks just for some extra cash, I got that by signing up to the shopping centre work newsletter so I get vacancies emailed to me. I then worked in my main job, where I worked for 2 years at Lloyds TSB/BoS by applying online and going through an intensive interview, it was 4 hours long. Yuck! I also worked at Game whilst I was there just that Christmas there as I knew the manager from working in the other Game previously. And now I'm working at Walt Disney World, and I just applied online for that. But when I go home the job hunt will start again. Yay. :rolleyes:
Original post by coldbeercoldheart
:confused:
Disney World that's cool! And 4 hours wow! What took so long!?

Original post by lyrical_lie
I'm 19 and I've had 7 jobs :colondollar:
I worked at Domino's by walking in after my mum had mentioned to them I was looking for a job and they told me to come down on the friday. I worked in a butchers because I seen they had a Saturday job going, worst experience of my life and I was ridiculously bullied there. I worked in Game over Christmas as when I went in to hand in my cv (in summer) I told the manager to write his name on the top of it and to write Christmas temp, I then got a call from him in October with him asking why his handwriting was on my cv and I said it was because he was going to hire me. I got an interview then the job. That was only for Christmas though. I worked at Clinton Cards over Valentines and Mother's Day for a couple of weeks just for some extra cash, I got that by signing up to the shopping centre work newsletter so I get vacancies emailed to me. I then worked in my main job, where I worked for 2 years at Lloyds TSB/BoS by applying online and going through an intensive interview, it was 4 hours long. Yuck! I also worked at Game whilst I was there just that Christmas there as I knew the manager from working in the other Game previously. And now I'm working at Walt Disney World, and I just applied online for that. But when I go home the job hunt will start again. Yay. :rolleyes:
Original post by coldbeercoldheart
Disney World that's cool! And 4 hours wow! What took so long!?

Yea, it's pretty good, I get paid a pittance though. And I had to do several different tasks as it was a telephone role, I had to practice reading a script, counting using computers and then the general interview part.
Reply 4
I think my best advice is to apply just before the xmas period (sept-oct) and before easter (feb-march). I work at tescos and I applied in october (2010). I found out there were some vacancies through my neighbour who works there so I filled out an application form I got online and gave it to him who then gave it to a manager. Got a call back a week later and had my interview. They recruited me as a xmas temp but kept me afterwards :smile: We get alot of temps for the holiday season, but i think they dnt advertise the vacancies openly to the public and those who get a temp job usually 1.know about the hols season recruiting or 2.know someone who told them about the vacancies. Good luck with ur job hunting!
Reply 5
My first job I got as the pub is next door to me and my dad knew the manager.
My second, in a cafe, I got from walking in at the right time and being 19 rather than all the 16 year olds who were applying.
My third, and new job, in a shop I got by striking up a conversation with the person at the till, who then informed me of vacancies. Handed in CV, application form and a really detailed cover letter (made me stand out from the 100+ other applicants), was asked to a group interview and then got a job offer.

My advice is to do what I did for my third job and attach a cover letter promoting your best qualities and why you feel like an ideal candidate for that specific job. Obviously this could be quite time consuming if you apply for loads at once, but even just a couple of paragraphs can make you stick in their mind.
My current job I got because I did a couple of weeks work experience with them because the founder of the company used to work with my mum.

And they liked me enough to keep asking me back and eventually give me my current role which is PA and office manager.

The job I used to have at weekends was in a cafe and bakery just across the road from my house. I got it because I was so local and because my family used to go in there all the time and I always chatted with the owner and the staff so they knew I was friendly and could communicate well and that they would get on with me. My mum was in buying bread and chatting with the owner who mentioned to her that she found it hard to get reliable staff and was keen to hire local people and when my mum came home and told me I went straight over and asked to be hired and she did on the spot.
I got mine by taking the employer's number whenever I handed out a CV, and phoning them every morning about it. To be honest, I think my current employer only hired me to stop the incessant phone calls :biggrin:
Reply 8
I got my first job (as a waitress in a hotel restaurant) by phoning them and asking the speak to a manager, then asking if there were any job vacancies and if he would mind if I came by and dropped off my CV and had a chat., in case any vacancies came up.

My second job was in McDonalds. I walked in to the shop, filled out an application form, had a very simple assessment day and then started working.

My third job was some casual catering work. I got lucky on that one, I walked into the jobcentre looking for summer work on the same day the catering company was interviewing for casual summer staff. The person who was supposed to be being interviewed didn't turn up so I got her slot. I mentioned I had silver service experience (from my first job) and the woman nearly shook my hand off and said she had loads of events coming up that needed someone who could do silver service. So that was a lucky break.

My fourth job was working part time in a cafe during uni. They had a sign on the door. I went in and asked a waitress about it, she said come back when we're quiet, about 3pm. I did and spoke to the manager/chef and he hired me on the spot after pointing at a few things on the menu and telling me what they were (Literally "Here you've got your sandwiches. Over here are breakfasts. Here's salads" - He was a legend but it was the most pointless job interview I've ever had!).

My fifth job was working in a garage (the car selling kind, not the petrol kind) as a general office dogsbody. That one was through an agency and I hated every minute. I got that one cos they were bloody idiots who thought hiring a law graduate meant they didn't need to pay for solicitors any more.

My sixth job was working for the local county council in their venues and catering department, organising weddings and other events. That was really fun. Also through an agency. I think I got that one because I told them I spent 2 years at uni working part time in a cafe, so I could make a bloody good cup of tea. They didn't really care about anything else :biggrin:

My seventh job was this one, at a law firm, which I got by applying via an online application form. Again was a bit of a strange interview, but I've since discovered the partner I was interviewed by is a bit of a strange lady, so that figures.
Go to a job agency and say your willing to work any shift. They should find you something and normally at a half decent (for menial work) pay. You also get the benefit of having good work experience so its win win.
Both part time jobs I've had was because my Mom knew someone who could get me an interview. Inbetween both jobs I had many interviews but no one actually wanted to hire me, I remember a disastrous job interview at Monsoon in Bullring Birmingham and I was 16 and just finished my GCSE's and everyone else had just finished university (group interview) and I just had no confidence. Needless to say I did not get the job. :tongue:
The job I have at the moment my Mom's friend worked there, and knew the guy who did the interviews. Got told when my interview was, had it then filled out an application form and my bank details and started that week. I also got my friend a job there as well (I'm a waitress at weddings, events such as school proms etc.) It's pretty much out the way and I have to get a lift there and back, so many people feel put off by it.
I find a lot of my friends have a job from who they know, mind you a lot of my friends also got it on their own merit as well and just luck on the day/knew someone was leaving etc. :smile:
Can you swim well... if so, see if there are lifeguarding courses at your local leisure centre, you may have to pay for a course, but once you have a qualification, it shouldn't be too hard getting a job. Its a job that not that many people are qualified for and has quite a high turnover.
I'm doing an apprenticeship. I looked on the Apprenticeships website, saw the vacancy, I don't think I was that interested in it because I had been searching for a job for six months after quitting my second year of college, and by this point I was just applying for anything. I got a call the next day, the day after that I had the interview and they told me straight away that I got the job. I have been there 3 months now and I love it.

Also I nearly got a job at New Look a few months before because my second cousin was friends with the manager, but I couldn't go to the induction so I didn't get the job in the end. Everything happens for a reason!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending