The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8800
Well done to everyone on prelims/finals results! With regards to the joint schools question: I think you can only get a distinction in the individual subjects. I didn't get a distinction anyway when I did mine (two years ago) but I seem to recall that I could theoretically have got a distinction in one but not the other, but that it was more or less irrelevant what my "overall" grade would have been.

I have a question for people who are perhaps a bit more experienced in the accommodation department - at Merton I've just always been given accommodation and never had to think about it. My flatmate here in Berlin is coming to do a masters at St Hugh's, and has just been told that he hasn't got accommodation there. We rang the University Accommodation Services, but they weren't particularly positive regarding his chances of getting their accommodation either! Does anyone know where the best place to look for accommodation would be? We're looking at studentpad, but there the pickings are pretty slim too!
Original post by Bezzler

I have a question for people who are perhaps a bit more experienced in the accommodation department - at Merton I've just always been given accommodation and never had to think about it. My flatmate here in Berlin is coming to do a masters at St Hugh's, and has just been told that he hasn't got accommodation there. We rang the University Accommodation Services, but they weren't particularly positive regarding his chances of getting their accommodation either! Does anyone know where the best place to look for accommodation would be? We're looking at studentpad, but there the pickings are pretty slim too!

Gumtree tend to always have advertisements for student house-shares. Some may well be Brookes students but I'm sure that'll not be too much of a problem?

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=student+&search_location=Oxford&category=flatshare-offered&search_scope=title&property_room_type=&property_type=&seller_type=&min_price=&max_price=&property_couples=

Original post by SebCross

Law would be such an interesting degree: hard work, though! Much like in History, my own degree subject, one needs an exceptional ability to remember names and dates - so many case study details in law, and precedents and the like! I don't doubt it was be very challenging and engaging indeed. Have you looked in to what college you might apply to, or are you perhaps keen to return to your alma mata? Hoping the job hunting is continuing to be fruitful?

I'm considering Harris Manchester. As I'd be an undergrad, I quite like the idea of not being with a bunch of 18 y/o students, however nice I'm sure they are! Plus HMC do a 7 term course, so it's a little less stressful to do senior status..

I would love to go back to Keble though. It all does get a little bit tribal! Although not as bad as the Oxford-Tabland thing. My parents suggested applying to Cambridge to do senior status to mix up my CV a bit. I think not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pinkpenguin
Gumtree tend to always have advertisements for student house-shares. Some may well be Brookes students but I'm sure that'll not be too much of a problem?

http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=student+&search_location=Oxford&category=flatshare-offered&search_scope=title&property_room_type=&property_type=&seller_type=&min_price=&max_price=&property_couples=

I'm considering Harris Manchester. As I'd be an undergrad, I quite like the idea of not being with a bunch of 18 y/o students, however nice I'm sure they are! Plus HMC do a 7 term course, so it's a little less stressful to do senior status..

I would love to go back to Keble though. It all does get a little bit tribal! Although not as bad as the Oxford-Tabland thing. My parents suggested applying to Cambridge to do senior status to mix up my CV a bit. I think not.

Yes a lot of Oxford graduates then go on to Cambridge, or vice versa, when they've completed their first degrees. Of course there's a very visceral and primal rivalry between the two cities and the two universities, but that just makes things more eventful if nothing else! Yes Keble has some beautiful grounds and I'm sure it's a fantastic college; Harris Manchester, equally, has a lot going for it. Its position in the city is excellent, for one. I also like the idea of being amongst people who are hopefully more enlightened and mature than your average 18-year-old fresher, which is why I'm so glad about starting the foundation course in October. The Department for Continuing Education sends a lot of its students on to Harris Manchester, being the only dedicated mature student college (unlike The Other Place - Cam' - that has three or four, I believe), which is nice because one gets a sense of progression from one to the other. It's good to know that taking a foundation course with the Department really does lead on to full-time, more established undergraduate study.

I'm sure you could do plenty of 'C.V. broadening' here in Oxford! The beauty of Oxford's size, as opposed to The Other Place which is about 45,000 people smaller, I believe, is that we have such a vibrant charitable sector and lots of organisations that are related to, and work closely with, the faculties of the University, without being overseen or administered by the University directly. I'm sure that The Other Place has similar things going on, but the fact that the city feels much more like a medium-sized town probably doesn't help one's feeling of vitality.

You mention a seven term course - how would that stack up in terms of the number of complete academic years you would do, then? I don't quite grasp how that would be organised, you see.

Regarding your comment on tribalism, I'm sure that is quite a factor! I hear there's quite the intra-college rivalry when it comes to sports, for instance...Not sure I'd be quite good enough to join a college tennis team, but you never know...

How's the job hunt going in the meantime?
Original post by SebCross

You mention a seven term course - how would that stack up in terms of the number of complete academic years you would do, then? I don't quite grasp how that would be organised, you see.

Regarding your comment on tribalism, I'm sure that is quite a factor! I hear there's quite the intra-college rivalry when it comes to sports, for instance...Not sure I'd be quite good enough to join a college tennis team, but you never know...

How's the job hunt going in the meantime?

The 7 term course basically means you join the first years in Trinity Term, after they have done Law Moderations. So you then start finals work at the same time they have started it. At colleges other than Harris Manchester, you join at the beginning of second year, but have to do 7 terms work in 6 so it's quite hard. 7 terms means you are at the same pace as all other lawyers so it's a little bit easier.

Tribalism especially prominent at Keble as we have a handy rugby side. The top few colleges can get quite aggressive when it comes to the business end of Cuppers!

Job hunt going alright. Not a lot of response back about stuff yet, but sending off a few applications a day so we shall see. Just job hunting in the garden and sunshine at the moment, so it's not so bad!
Original post by pinkpenguin
The 7 term course basically means you join the first years in Trinity Term, after they have done Law Moderations. So you then start finals work at the same time they have started it. At colleges other than Harris Manchester, you join at the beginning of second year, but have to do 7 terms work in 6 so it's quite hard. 7 terms means you are at the same pace as all other lawyers so it's a little bit easier.

Tribalism especially prominent at Keble as we have a handy rugby side. The top few colleges can get quite aggressive when it comes to the business end of Cuppers!

Job hunt going alright. Not a lot of response back about stuff yet, but sending off a few applications a day so we shall see. Just job hunting in the garden and sunshine at the moment, so it's not so bad!

Yes the weather's fabulous at the moment, is it not? Unfortunately my wifi signal thingy doesn't extend outside into my garden, so I'm cooped in my bedroom when writing this. Have been reading Michael Burleigh's The Third Reich in the garden thusfar today, though. Glorious. I do object to ants and flies and things that seem to want to land on my knees the whole time, but I try to ignore them. Besides, when you're being blown away by the magisterial analysis of someone like Burleigh, such things are suddenly rendered moot.
Wait so you've gone from claiming to be at UEA, Bristol or wherever else people were catching you out on on other threads to suddenly being at Oxford?

Seb Cross I think you have some mental issues.
Having decided to add up (with weightings) my Part A marks, I discover I am 1 mark off a first. Had I been offered 60 (gets me onto 4-year course) at the start of Trinity I would have taken it and ran, so I should be pleased... but it's still a little annoying :tongue:
Merton 14th.
Reply 8809
Original post by Manslaw
Merton 14th.

Saw it this morning, not pleased. It'll probably mean college pushes hard on us for results next year. :frown: and we're not even low enough to properly shake that ridiculous reputation.
Original post by dbmag9
Saw it this morning, not pleased. It'll probably mean college pushes hard on us for results next year. :frown: and we're not even low enough to properly shake that ridiculous reputation.

The release of the Table reminded me of what has been happening at Jesus for the past year.
http://www.cherwell.org/news/college/2011/11/02/-death-of-fun-ongoing-at-jesus

It seems like the push to make students' lives a bit worse hasn't helped their 'drive for five'. (8th 2011 - 16th 2012)
(edited 11 years ago)
Woo, Catz is 10th - that's a big bounce, we usually linger somewhere around middle-to-bottom. But then again, we do have a habit of punching above our weight :biggrin:

Original post by dbmag9

Really? 14th isn't that bad! But when they're used to being towards the top, I suppose... I feel for you, it is all a bit silly isn't it. Catz don't tend to do very well, and as a result, don't really care. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Incarnadine91

Really? 14th isn't that bad!

Given that Woosta is somehow above Merton, it is kinda bad :p:
Reply 8813
The freshers' information for Merton is up in advance of emails being sent tomorrow; the Facebook group they link to isn't my one. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

We were 26th a year ago, I say 14th isn't that bad. Being 10th is even better, of course :tongue:

And Wadham :tongue: Couldn't help feeling a little surprised as well as happy when I saw we're 4th! :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey peeps, I'm off on holiday. So don't forget to big up Woosta to potential applicants, on my behalf :wink:
Hey peeps, I'm off on holiday. So don't forget to big up Woosta to potential applicants, on my behalf :wink:

Don't worry, we'll hold the fort for you :evil:

Happy hols :smile:
I just emailed my college son for the first time. Exciting! I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the freshers' experience from 'the other side' without having to worry about it all :tongue:.
Original post by LtCommanderData
I just emailed my college son for the first time. Exciting! I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the freshers' experience from 'the other side' without having to worry about it all :tongue:.

same, except i facebook messaged all my three sons. damn gender imbalance :angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending