The Student Room Group

How to get volume into flat hair

Hey everyone :smile:

I have medium/long hair and its quite flat on top so I was wondering if anyone had any tips/ ideas how to give it volume (products / styling )

Thanks
Reply 1
Volumising mousses work well for me - it doesn't have to be an expensive one but put it in when your hair is wet and then either dry your hair upside down, use a diffuser or use a giant round brush.

Some people can't get away with this but I find once I've dried my hair (I use the upside down method) I don't brush it and it stays big for longer.

Doing all that can often make your hair go frizzy so i also put serum on when my hairs still wet
Reply 2
Original post by :)ella
Volumising mousses work well for me - it doesn't have to be an expensive one but put it in when your hair is wet and then either dry your hair upside down, use a diffuser or use a giant round brush.

Some people can't get away with this but I find once I've dried my hair (I use the upside down method) I don't brush it and it stays big for longer.

Doing all that can often make your hair go frizzy so i also put serum on when my hairs still wet

Thanks i will try it out :smile:
Reply 3
You could try rollers as well.
First of all you need to be using a volumising shampoo and conditioner, then when you get out the shower, as the above poster suggested, you need to throw on some volumising mousse and serum, John Frieda is an excellent brand for stuff like that, as is FAT hair!

Drying it upside down works temporarily but can do damage to the root of your hair so proper blowdrying is essential! Get a large round ceramic brush and blowdry it in sections - look at youtube under 'blowdrying your hair to achieve volume' if you need tutorials on it!

Rollers can also work well, make sure you dont put too much hair in each roller though, and spray a light mist of hairspray over the rollers about once an hour to achieve good setting.

Other products to use are the root boost by tresemme, which you apply to the roots as you blow dry, and any volumising powder, I'd reccomend tresemme or the FAT hair ones!

Backcombing can also give volume but it does take practise - youtube it! If you work through these suggestions you should find some that work for you - but obviously products and technique depend on your hair style, texture, and what you aestetically prefer.
Reply 5
I wish I had this problem, I look like Hermione (from the books) most of the time
Dry shampoo and a bit of messing up with your fingertips as well as everything that :smile:ella said.
Reply 7
- Use a volumising shampoo (Aussie volumising shampoo is great, Tresemme do a really good one too)
- Don't condition your hair in the shower. Shampoo, towel-dry, then apply a little conditioner or serum on the ends.
- Spray a light volumising spray onto your roots from upside down. John Frieda do a really good "luxurious volume blow dry spray" which makes my hair pretty big. Alternatively, use a volumising mousse. Again, I really like Aussie's volumising mousse, it smells amazing and is gentle on your hair! (I say alternatively instead of use both because you don't want to weigh your hair down with too many products. I would keep it light and simple)
- A ceramic brush is really useful for getting volume into hair, definitely worth investing in a good quality one.
- Something I've started doing recently is spraying a little Batiste XXL Volume Dry Shampoo onto my fingers and then fluffing up my layers / roots for a bit of natural looking bounce and volume.
- Have you got layers? If not, talk to your hairdresser about getting some cut in to help you achieve a more bouncy and less flat style.
- If you are in a massive rush, tip your hair upside down, spray some hair spray and fluff with your hands. Very quick fix but still works.

I hope these tips help :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by NatashaB5051
Hey everyone :smile:

I have medium/long hair and its quite flat on top so I was wondering if anyone had any tips/ ideas how to give it volume (products / styling )

Thanks

Have you tried resurrection dust its really good for giving the illusion of more volume (creates the 'puffy' look) you apply some to your roots and run fingers through it styling to create more volume, it works better if you have layers in your hair though.
Reply 9
Lush do a few different shampoos for adding volume to fine/flat hair. "Big" is good but it's quite expensive. I use their "Cynthia Sylvia Stout" which is good for adding shine and volume too. :smile:
Reply 10
My routine is quite bad for split ends, but i get regular trims and it's worth it for my extremely fine flat hair. I wash my hair with volumizing shampoo and use a small amount, focusing mostly on my scalp and letting it wash through to the ends. I only condition the very tips of my hair. then i let my hair sit in a towel for a while. Next, i comb my hair with a wide tooth comb. I then spray my hair all over with herbal essences heat protection spray (helps with texture too). After that, i lift sections of my hair, about four section on each side that cover my entire head (totaling 8-i have a middle part), and spray 3-4 sprays of john frieda root booster on the pieces of hair. Then i blow dry up my hair upside down, focusing on getting volume wherever i can. brush though your hair slightly if you feel a little stiffness from the product. Lastly, i flick my hair back into an extremely high, volumized bun that i push up with a big hair clip. I leave it like that for a while, and then when i go to bed i take it out, brush through the ends slightly, and sleep with my hair fanned out behind me, above my head on the pillow so that i don't flatten it. It's a sort of weird routine that i have developed to work for my after years of struggling with flat hair, and for me it works extremely well. The only down side is that it is a nighttime routine, although it would probably work just as well in the morning if you left it in a high ponytail instead of a bun for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending