The Student Room Group

Wider Reading

I'm considering applying for music at Oxford and was wondering what books I'm most recommended to read.
Reply 1
'The Lonely Goatherd' is your best bet for this query, but I believe her usual recommendation is "Steps" Gold: Our Greatest Hits - The Official Book :wink:

The_Lonely_Goatherd
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shoshin
'The Lonely Goatherd' is your best bet for this query, but I believe her usual recommendation is "Steps" Gold: Our Greatest Hits - The Official Book :wink:

:rofl:

PRSOM :sad:

OP: the best thing by far to read is Nicholas Cook's Music. A Very Short Introduction (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998). This will give you an idea of general issues in musicology, which is a big thing at Oxford. Don't worry if you don't understand it though: it took me three goes :biggrin:

If you have gaps in your general knowledge, you may like to fill them by reading A History of Western Music by Grout, Palisca and someone else I can't remember :p: That's not so important though.

Whatever you end up reading, make sure you a) read the whole thing, and b) re-read it before the interview :yes:
Reply 3
Thank you so much!!!
You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending