The Student Room Group

Science graduates 'lack skills needed by business'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ham22
This is what I thought.
Oh woe is me I can't afford my bmw and my hobby of high class call girls on my meagre salary of 30 grand a year.
WAKE UP YOU ENTITLED IDIOTS.

It's a bit disheartening when you spend 3 years on a degree, 1 year on a masters, 3 years on a PhD, because that's the level of education the job requires, and know that you are never going to reach the salary of a train driver.

Having said that, I'd be quite content with a 30k salary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by No Man
But who are the people that find, purify, and form the commodities to trade? Scientists.

And also created the industry that made the commodity worth what it's worth.
Reply 42
Original post by BO'H
remind me how bill gates and steve jobs got on at university

science skills and business skills are different things; sadly most of you lot are too dumb to appreciate that

Firstly, Bill Gates had an excellent understanding of technology. The reason he left university is because he was too good and too driven. By the time he reached Harvard he already had the tools he needed and a vision for the company he wanted to start - completing his degree would have been a waste of time. Bill Gates then used his technical understanding to contribute massively to the economy of the world.

Most science graduates aren't Bill Gates. They usually become technical experts much later in their lives and so the pace of a science degree is suited for them. Nevertheless, once that expertise is acquired they are able to contribute in many ways more thoroughly and coherently towards any businesses related to their area of expertise.

Bear in mind, you said:

science graduates are manifestly NOT an essential part of the economy despite what the STEM tedes tell you. how much 'scientific research' delivers the potential for profit in the short or medium term? not very much.

And I haven't even talked about the benefits of non-business oriented fundamental research. Personally, I've helped develop some scanning devices for metallic objects for application in security firms, and the research I did will contribute in what would be classed as the medium term. Furthermore, ignoring the long term is a stupid idea.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Current precarious condition in Britain is due to the lack of Industry and Research & Development in the science and technology sector. Yes there is Dyson and BAE systems, but this is no where near what Britain was before. As an international student studying engineering, i feel there are no employment prospects here, or those which are lucrative. Business graduates don't work anywhere near as hard and get paid so much more. Why would people study science then?

But look how Britain and other nations which went the way of financial services, are paying dearly for it, meanwhile those countries which have strong manufacturing and R&D base, are doing well enough.

It really is a shame.
Reply 44
Original post by BO'H
top oil and gas companies by market cap are there because of commodity traders not scientists

Someone tell this smartarse that if it weren't for Geologists/Geophysicists/Chemical/Civil/Electrical engineers, commodities traders would still be selling soybeans, coffee beans, opium and tea.
Reply 45
Original post by BO'H
remind me how bill gates and steve jobs got on at university

science skills and business skills are different things; sadly most of you lot are too dumb to appreciate that

Bill gates and steve jobs stole there products from STEM graduates! Perhaps you should read Steve jobs' biography. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Jobs-Exclusive-Biography-ebook/dp/B005J3IEZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343155645&sr=8-2

I really hope you dont go into politics and screw up this country with your, frankly insolent views
Reply 46
Original post by rafale
Someone tell this smartarse that if it weren't for Geologists/Geophysicists/Chemical/Civil/Electrical engineers, commodities traders would still be selling soybeans, coffee beans, opium and tea.

Just ignore him, he is genuinely a ignorant tosser!
Reply 47
Original post by lightburns
It's a bit disheartening when you spend 3 years on a degree, 1 year on a masters, 3 years on a PhD, because that's the level of education the job requires, and know that you are never going to reach the salary of a train driver.

Although scientists have a greater opportunity of working abroad and seeing what the world has to offer than train drivers.
Reply 48
Here's a crazy thought: if they've got a problem, perhaps businesses should provide training to give their employees the skills required.
Original post by babyjustin
Bill gates and steve jobs stole there products from STEM graduates! Perhaps you should read Steve jobs' biography. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Jobs-Exclusive-Biography-ebook/dp/B005J3IEZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343155645&sr=8-2

I really hope you dont go into politics and screw up this country with your, frankly insolent views

Bill Gates knew computer science.

Bill Gates got top grades in Mathematics. He also studied Computer science from a young age. If you watch his documentary he started to study Computers at age 11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsO8hyVlI2Y
Original post by rafale
Current precarious condition in Britain is due to the lack of Industry and Research & Development in the science and technology sector. Yes there is Dyson and BAE systems, but this is no where near what Britain was before. As an international student studying engineering, i feel there are no employment prospects here, or those which are lucrative. Business graduates don't work anywhere near as hard and get paid so much more. Why would people study science then?

But look how Britain and other nations which went the way of financial services, are paying dearly for it, meanwhile those countries which have strong manufacturing and R&D base, are doing well enough.

It really is a shame.

I know someone who works works for BAE systems (well, now is under Selex due to some merger or something), and is surprised the company is still running. He reckons it is on its last legs due to an army of managers who have no engineering understanding making tiny things into massive issues. I get all these amusing stories, such as long meetings about glue (it needs to go into refrigeration immediately, but this is impossible because it obviously must be checked and put onto the system first.... by the time that's done, it's wrecked). But apparently it can't manage the important things either.

In short, it's hardly an exemplar haven for engineers.

Get out while you can.
Reply 51
Are you high? Seriously anyone can go into business if they have Capital and a good idea for a service or good that can generate cash flow. We need more scientists and less 'business grads'.

See that, son? That there is a big "if".

brb going into business.

brb.
(edited 11 years ago)
**** business, I haven't spent all this time and money learning a science to waste it all in some bull**** rat race career anyway.
Reply 53
Original post by lightburns

30k is a ****ing ****load and most people will never reach that kind of level in their entire working lives.
Reply 54
Original post by NB_ide
See that, son? That there is a big "if".

brb going into business.

brb.

So what's your brilliant idea for a service?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
**** business, I haven't spent all this time and money learning a science to waste it all in some bull**** rat race career anyway.

So what have you wasted all that time and money for?
Original post by NB_ide
So what have you wasted all that time and money for?

a science career. or possibly just sacking it all off and going to live in the forest, haven't decided yet. lol.

EDIT: Worryingly there is only 1 member of parliament with a scientific background and over 150 with a background in law. This really shows up how unrepresentative our MPs really are.

That explains a lot.
Original post by NB_ide
30k is a ****ing ****load and most people will never reach that kind of level in their entire working lives.

For jobs that require 7 years of study (with only the most capable of the population being able to do this), £30k is not well paid. It's not a paltry sum, sure, but you can get that kind of salary on jobs that don't require you to cut out almost a decade for education.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Kolya
Here's a crazy thought: if they've got a problem, perhaps businesses should provide training to give their employees the skills required.

yeah, you beat me to the punchline.
Tbh I interpret skills shortage whining from business as the non technical blaggers who run these outfits thinking about skilled technical people as commodties that'd come down in price if they could pursuade the government to increase the supply.

Quick Reply

Latest