The Student Room Group

Lottery - Have you or close family won it?

Have you or close family members (i.e. mother, father, brother, sister etc) won £1,000-£1+million?

If so, what were the circumstances (did you play regularly beforehand, how much did you spend on that particular ticket/scratchcard, same numbers, have a 'feeling', random, one-off etc)?

I'm just interested...

Scroll to see replies

nope
Reply 2
I won -50 dollars. Bought ten tickets. Matched no more than 2 numbers per ticket. Sad weekend that was.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy Nexus
Original post by democracyforum
nope

Wow, thankyou so much. Really, there has been so much illumination as a result of your oh so informative and helpful response.

EDIT: Why the negs? Does TSR now not deem innocent and legitimate sarcasm as suitable?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Nope. Spent nothing lost nothing. What a farce.
Reply 5
I've won a tenner if that counts...
I have never bought one, and never plan to. I would rather spend that £1 or so on something with equal value. A small piece of paper is not worth £1 in my mind
I know of someone who won the jackpot which was shared and I think they got £2.2mil or something like that. It ruined their lives though. The husband ended up ripping the family apart by sleeping with women left right and centre, and the son developed severe agoraphobia due to the stress and hasn't left the house for over a year now. The daughter however spent a lot of time working for charity and has done some pretty amazing things thanks to having money at her disposal. So it really depends what you do when you win, but I think that kind of money is very much make or break.
My father won £1,200 years ago.
Reply 9
I fully intend to win both the lottery and the £1 million raffle this week.

Just thought I'd let you know beforehand. :tongue:
Never bought a ticket, probably never will. I don't even know what I'd spend a couple of million on.
Reply 11
Yup, my friend won it. Was a 10 million rollover, he decided to ring up his boss and tell him where to shove it and spend his money in his account on expensive champagne to celebrate ... turns out he only won a fiver!
Reply 12
my nanna won a couple of grand. I Don't think she did anything particular with it she just put it in the bank and gradually spent it.
Original post by UniversalAutocrat
Wow, thankyou so much. Really, there has been so much illumination as a result of your oh so informative and helpful response.

Here's a more detailed answer:

Nope. Probably because neither I or a family member, have bought a ticket before. I like orange juice.

What did you expect?
Original post by justanotherposter
Never bought a ticket, probably never will. I don't even know what I'd spend a couple of million on.

House, car, degree, pension. There :smile:
No. It's my belief that the lottery is a tax on stupidity.
Reply 15
I know someone who won £10,000. She and her family were incredibly rich, though, so I don't think that sum of money was all that much to them! :tongue:
Original post by Ra Ra
I know someone who won £10,000. She and her family were incredibly rich, though, so I don't think that sum of money was all that much to them! :tongue:

Now that's just not fair is it! Haha
Reply 17
Original post by aliluvschoc
I fully intend to win both the lottery and the £1 million raffle this week.

Just thought I'd let you know beforehand. :tongue:

Can I have some?
Original post by Ra Ra

It always seems that rich people win it more often :angry:
Reply 19
Not a family member, but a girl at tennis club. I went round her house one day. It was a two bedroom semi. I went round her the next week and it was suddenly a 7 bed mansion with a swimming pool. She didn't say anything!!

Quick Reply