The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7740
Original post by suneilr
It's a D-link DIR-615 running dd-wrt. I haven't changed any settings on it :s

I'm going to try giving the S2 a factory reset and see if that helps. No idea what to do about the Asus though. I bought the TF300T in the States, Could that be why the internet isn't working properly?

Hmm Just checked and they both work fine on my uni wireless. There must be something they don't like about my home network :s Both devices are running 4.0.3.

it'll not be anything to do with the asus; there were wifi issues with the tf201 (prime) as it had a metal casing, but the tf300 has very good wifi connectivity; purchasing it in the states won't affect it.
Reply 7741
Original post by chaza01
it'll not be anything to do with the asus; there were wifi issues with the tf201 (prime) as it had a metal casing, but the tf300 has very good wifi connectivity; purchasing it in the states won't affect it.

Thanks for the reply. I did manage to get it all working in the end. I had to enable local DNS on my router. It's strange as my laptop and my brother's ipad all managed to access the internet fine, it was just my android devices that had issues :s
Reply 7742
Hey,

I got a HTC One X today and just wondered if anyone had some "must have app" suggestions? First time Android user after having an iPhone for 4 years so be nice. :p:
Reply 7743
Original post by Roobsa
Hey,

I got a HTC One X today and just wondered if anyone had some "must have app" suggestions? First time Android user after having an iPhone for 4 years so be nice. :p:

well done for jumping ship. Apple and ios is for the computer illiterate, android is for people who have a reason to live. If you get me...
Original post by chaza01
well done for jumping ship. Apple and ios is for the computer illiterate, android is for people who have a reason to live. If you get me...

Why don't you answer the question? :colonhash:
Reply 7745
Original post by Roobsa
Hey,

Htc onex is a beautiful phone, I have it myself. What colour did you go for? The apps I use most vary to be honest but I shall list a few.

Handcent. SMS replacement
Dolphin hd browser. Internet replacement
Temple Run. Abit of fun
GTA III. Awesome game with 78 missions I think
Skype. Free calls ofcourse

But most of the apps that you have used on iphone are on android aswell so just download the apps you already know about.
Reply 7746
Original post by + polarity -
Why don't you answer the question? :colonhash:

Haha, fair enough. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7747
Original post by suneilr
Thanks for the reply. I did manage to get it all working in the end. I had to enable local DNS on my router. It's strange as my laptop and my brother's ipad all managed to access the internet fine, it was just my android devices that had issues :s

Hey, what do you think of your tf300 btw? I was going to get the tf700 but can't justify the 599 price tag; do you find your tf300 to have any major short comings? Thanks :smile: and how does it compare to the iPad? Cheers

Reply 7748
Original post by johnnn
Htc onex is a beautiful phone, I have it myself. What colour did you go for? The apps I use most vary to be honest but I shall list a few.

Handcent. SMS replacement
Dolphin hd browser. Internet replacement
Temple Run. Abit of fun
GTA III. Awesome game with 78 missions I think
Skype. Free calls ofcourse

But most of the apps that you have used on iphone are on android aswell so just download the apps you already know about.

Unfortunately the only colour Orange had was the black/gray one otherwise I would have gone for the white. Got me a nice chunky Otterbox case though so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Aye, I figured I've got the basic apps covered but might as well ask the question as there are a lot of apps so might discover some hidden gems. :smile: Handcent and Dolphin look good though, so I'll check those out, thanks!
Reply 7749
Original post by chaza01
Hey, what do you think of your tf300 btw? I was going to get the tf700 but can't justify the 599 price tag; do you find your tf300 to have any major short comings? Thanks :smile: and how does it compare to the iPad? Cheers

I'm pretty happy with it tbh. There's no LED flash for the camera and it would be nice if the screen was full HD but I've had no problems with it. I've got it running CM9 without any issues as well. I haven't used the ipad much so I can't really compare them sorry.
I have some suggestions but I'm still in 2010 so I wouldn't pay much attention...

- If you've rooted: Adfree is handy :p:
- I use Colornote quite a lot, and I've been using
- SleepAsAnDroid nearly every day for the last week or so, it helps me not wake up a mess :colonhash:
- UK & World News, that's a nice one
- What's On, perhaps
- Gameboid, a GBA emulator, which I think is good (I'm not sure this is still on the market...)
- Quick System Info can be useful

These are the only potentially useful ones I have; I also have several music-related ones, but I never use them lol
Original post by chaza01

Original post by suneilr
I'm pretty happy with it tbh. There's no LED flash for the camera and it would be nice if the screen was full HD but I've had no problems with it. I've got it running CM9 without any issues as well. I haven't used the ipad much so I can't really compare them sorry.

I've cracked the screen of my TF201 so replacing it on the house insurance. I don't really want another 201 as while I don't use the GPS that much, stronger WiFi would be a hell of a lot more useful so I'm really struggling to decide what to get. I was looking at the TF201 and the TF300 side by side in HMV last week and the only thing I could see was the screen wasn't as bright on the 300. I'm still hoping that that £600 asking price is for the 64GB pad.

Any advice you could offer?
Currently carrying out a Nandroid Backup then flashing CM10 for my S2 :biggrin:
Reply 7753
Original post by wizard710
I've cracked the screen of my TF201 so replacing it on the house insurance. I don't really want another 201 as while I don't use the GPS that much, stronger WiFi would be a hell of a lot more useful so I'm really struggling to decide what to get. I was looking at the TF201 and the TF300 side by side in HMV last week and the only thing I could see was the screen wasn't as bright on the 300. I'm still hoping that that £600 asking price is for the 64GB pad.

Any advice you could offer?

the £600 is for the 64gb infinity (tf700) with keyboard dock bundled. Asus are not selling any other kit, there is no 32gb option, for example.
If you are willing to pay 599, the infinity is obviously the most capable tablet. Personally I was always going to get the infinity, but the price, coupled with its late august 31st release date has put me off somewhat. It's a tablet, not a laptop, after all.
Personally, I would get the tf300. The price is much more reasonable (around 399 I believe, 32gb with dock) - get a 15 pound microsd to take it up to 64 if you need the extra space. If you dont care about the less bright screen and plastic build, its a good option. wifi is very strong. at HMV they stock it in white, blue and red, at currys only blue.
That's what I would do :biggrin:
hope this helps.
Reply 7754
Does anyone know of an app/way to stream from a computer to an Android device remotely (that's on a different network to home computer)?
Original post by chaza01
the £600 is for the 64gb infinity (tf700) with keyboard dock bundled. Asus are not selling any other kit, there is no 32gb option, for example.
If you are willing to pay 599, the infinity is obviously the most capable tablet. Personally I was always going to get the infinity, but the price, coupled with its late august 31st release date has put me off somewhat. It's a tablet, not a laptop, after all.
Personally, I would get the tf300. The price is much more reasonable (around 399 I believe, 32gb with dock) - get a 15 pound microsd to take it up to 64 if you need the extra space. If you dont care about the less bright screen and plastic build, its a good option. wifi is very strong. at HMV they stock it in white, blue and red, at currys only blue.
That's what I would do :biggrin:
hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm starting to err towards the 300 and the keyboard would be nice.
Currently using first release of CM10 for my S2 and it's just brilliant. Fast, nicer interface and no bugs! 2 or 3 missing little features but more than usable which is awesome for a first release.
Reply 7757
Original post by + polarity -

- Gameboid, a GBA emulator, which I think is good (I'm not sure this is still on the market...)

I just got a new phone on monday and Gameboid wasn't on the play store, however a quick google search let me download it onto my phone. You just have to make sure that you have checked the option in settings that you can download non-market apps
Original post by hassi94
Currently using first release of CM10 for my S2 and it's just brilliant. Fast, nicer interface and no bugs! 2 or 3 missing little features but more than usable which is awesome for a first release.

Nice. I need HTC to release kernel source before I go down that route. Will stick with Sense ICS for now.

Original post by Doskey
I just got a new phone on monday and Gameboid wasn't on the play store, however a quick google search let me download it onto my phone. You just have to make sure that you have checked the option in settings that you can download non-market apps

Pretty much first thing I do when flashing a new ROM.
Im torn between the Nexus and Galaxy S3 :frown: Nexus is cheaper and has the Jelly Bean update.. but i've never had an Android, in fact my last two phones have been Nokia's and i feel a bit lost when it comes to top of the range phones... help?!

Latest

Trending

Trending