The Student Room Group

Interested in master programs of SSE

Hi!
I'm currently a junior student, and plan to apply for the master program 2013. My target school is SSE but sadly it's no longer free for students outside EU like me :frown: ... So I have some more practical questions here:

(1) Among all the programs offered by SSE, my favorite is Accounting & Financial Mgmt.
However it requires candidates to have "at least 90 ECTS in Business Administration".
My bachelor program is focused on finance, so I may not have sufficient credits in Business Administration.
Will the admission office decline my application because of this?

(2) How large is my possibility to get an SI scholarship? (my GPA: 3.8/4.3; GMAT: 760; TOEFL:111)

(3) Will it OK to apply for several programs of SSE? Will they think that I'm not focused?

(4) If I do apply for several programs of SSE, can I write different statements of purpose for each of the program?
I learn from universityadmissions.se that we're only required to submit one set of documents for all the programs we apply,
so I'm afraid that even if I submit four different statements, the admission center will only scan one of them into the system...

(5) Will everybody enroll in the executive trainee module? If not, what percentage?

(6) If I'm lucky enough to become a certified public auditor (auktoriserad revisor), will it be easy for me to find a job in Sweden?
And what kinds of tests must I take before becoming one? Is it like ACCA in Britain?

Any relevant information is more than welcome! Thank you very much! Tack!!! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi!

(1) I'm not sure. But I think that finance counts as Business administration here in Sweden. You should email SSE and ask them about this.

(3) I've heard from some Swedish students that they don't like it when you apply for several different programs. But on the other hand I've read that a lot of people here on TSR have applied to different programs. Some of them have been successful. But I think that they can only give you an offer for one of the programs.

(6) Yes it will be easy for you to find a job in Sweden as a "auktoriserad revisor". But I think that you need auditing experience before you can take the test. So you need to "break in" before you get the chance. I don't think that will be too difficult though since SSE is such a great school.

I don't know the answer to the other questions. Feel free to ask any other questions regarding the school, the city or just regarding Sweden. I'm Swedish and I plan to take my BSc degree at SSE so I might be able to help.
I can help you on question (4).

As long as the courses you are interested in are related to each other, that's fine. For example, if you wish to apply to MSc Accounting & Finance and MSc Finance you can explain in your PS why you are interested in Finance in general, and why both courses will help you achieve your goal. I wrote 1 PS for my application to both Fin Maths and Risk and Stochastics at LSE. The names sound different, but the contents were similar to each other, and eventually I even manage to get an offer at LSE. Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Jyckee
Hi!

(1) I'm not sure. But I think that finance counts as Business administration here in Sweden. You should email SSE and ask them about this.

(3) I've heard from some Swedish students that they don't like it when you apply for several different programs. But on the other hand I've read that a lot of people here on TSR have applied to different programs. Some of them have been successful. But I think that they can only give you an offer for one of the programs.

(6) Yes it will be easy for you to find a job in Sweden as a "auktoriserad revisor". But I think that you need auditing experience before you can take the test. So you need to "break in" before you get the chance. I don't think that will be too difficult though since SSE is such a great school.

I don't know the answer to the other questions. Feel free to ask any other questions regarding the school, the city or just regarding Sweden. I'm Swedish and I plan to take my BSc degree at SSE so I might be able to help.

Thank you sooo much for you information! However, regarding to emailing to SSE, I've only found a general email address: [email protected], and so far nobody has replied. I guess it's because they are on summer vacation?

Moreover, I'm still hesitate about whether to study economics or accounting. What do you think of the prospects of graduates from the the two programs in Sweden? Is it that economic students are more likely to end up in researching work?
Reply 4
Original post by marshmall0wish
I can help you on question (4).

As long as the courses you are interested in are related to each other, that's fine. For example, if you wish to apply to MSc Accounting & Finance and MSc Finance you can explain in your PS why you are interested in Finance in general, and why both courses will help you achieve your goal. I wrote 1 PS for my application to both Fin Maths and Risk and Stochastics at LSE. The names sound different, but the contents were similar to each other, and eventually I even manage to get an offer at LSE. Hope that helps!

Thanks! This helps a lot!:wink:
Reply 5
Original post by slct
for question (2)
your stats such as GMAT and TOEFL don't matter that much for the SI Scholarship. As a recipient of the scholarship, I can tell you that your resume/CV is what counts most, as well as you recommendation letter. They have to prove your extra-curricular and social implication, basically how granting you the scholarship will benefit your country

Do you mean that my motivation and my plan for the future counts more for SI Scholarship?
Reply 6
Original post by slct
I would assign 50% of importance to your CV/resume, 30% - recommendation letter and 20% - motivation letter.
It has to come all as one package. For ex., if your CV shows your active career or extra-curricular implication in IT-related projects, make sure that your recommendation also casts light on this experience + your motivation letter implies future plans to return back to your home-country and implement something Finance/Business & IT. You gotta show consistency in your message.

I see... I guess it would be really difficult to get a scholarship, but I will try my best. Thx!
Reply 7
Original post by yizhout
I see... I guess it would be really difficult to get a scholarship, but I will try my best. Thx!

I don't think it is easy. But I have heard that the competition for the scholarships aren't huge. The amount of successful applications are okay.

Quick Reply