The Student Room Group

I want to defer my GEP offer... advice?

I've got offers to do GEP medicine at Kings and Cambridge this september... and now I'm thinking I want to defer them for a year so that I can work for a bit more money.

My situation changed during the year and if I were to start this september I wouldn't be able to study/live comfortably.

Is this doable? Am I too late? Is it never ever done? Thanks
Reply 1
Contact the respective admissions offices ASAP.
I think its a bit late now, itll go against you if you apply next year as its effectively taken someone elses place and now your giving it back, its not like theyll give it up to clearing so itll be a terrible inconvenience
Reply 3
Contact admissions. But don't be surprised if they say no.
Reply 4
...this sucks. I'll try it.

Is it something that they generally do if its requested earlier on?
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
Contact admissions. But don't be surprised if they say no.

Have you read Persepolis?
Reply 6
Original post by Timba

This is rather off topic, but no. I've seen the film however.

Original post by Timba

Depends on the med school I guess, but at my interview we were told that under no circumstances would they be accepting deferrals. And that was before anyone had even got an offer!
Reply 7
Original post by Timba

I know that at least for Cambridge they say that it is not possible to apply for deferred entry so the likelihood of them letting you defer now is quite low. To have two offers from such great unis is an opportunity I wouldn't pass up. Asking whether deferring is possible can't do any harm, though. You might also want to remember that being a student is not about living comfortably!
Original post by Timba

No. With undergraduate you may have had more luck, but GEPs generally don't allow deferred entry unless your circumstances are exceptional. If you can prove to them, categorically, that you previously could afford the degree and your new, terrible circumstances mean you can't then you may get away with it.

Just contact admissions and see, but as others have said, I wouldn't hold your breath.
This was a couple of years ago now but I remember at my KCL GPEP interview they said that they were happy to allow deferrals so if their policy hasn't changed you should be ok
Original post by Timba
I've got offers to do GEP medicine at Kings and Cambridge this september... and now I'm thinking I want to defer them for a year so that I can work for a bit more money.

My situation changed during the year and if I were to start this september I wouldn't be able to study/live comfortably.

Is this doable? Am I too late? Is it never ever done? Thanks

Do you mind me asking what degree you have?

Quick Reply

Latest