The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 07/08/2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Direct15
I was unsure because I am the only girl applying for engineering with about 6/7 boys most females focus on teaching and medicine or law in our school :frown: I felt alone for a moment

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My new physics teacher did a degree in engineering and she's a girl I think :smile:
Original post by anthonyfl
Are any other people starting highers concerned they have forgotten a lot of their subjects? Like, for me, Maths and Chemistry knowledge has probably went right out of the window. Just there I was thinking of the neutralisation reactions and I was unsure of them! How on earth will I cope?

There is still time between now and when school goes back. Read over your SG notes and you'll be fine come August. :smile:
What parts in standard grade Chemistry, Physics and Maths should I read over, as I know many of SG is irrelevant in Higher. Thanks :smile:

Also, what's higher history like? I'm dreading the fear of the unknown as I didn't do standard grade! :frown:

I found a lot of what I learned at SG was still relevant at Higher. If not in content then definitely in the skills we learned.

I haven't done chemistry or maths since SG and never took physics, so I can't recommend anything specific. ^^; But for other subjects I mostly read over the basics, anything I thought would come up the next year and I re-read old essays paying attention not to the content of them but rather how they were answered.

Most of my friends in school claimed that history was their most demanding Higher - not because recalling information was difficult but because of the amount that needed to be written to get the marks. I didn't take it past SG myself so can't say whether or not I'd agree with that.
That's worried me!

Reply 86
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've noticed that since I got an unconditional, I no longer care about my exam results this year. :tongue:

Lucky for some..........

I totally forgot about pending exam results till I saw this thread. Now I'm nervous, I'm not even sure why :s-smilie: Another reason to thank TSR.

I have a question. How unpredictable are Higher English results. A lot if people are saying they can't tell how well they are going to do. To what extent is this true? What tips do any of you have to make sure that you know and will come out with an A?
Reply 87
I want to apply for dentistry too! :biggrin: What were your standard grade results and prelim results?

woo :biggrin:
I got seven 1's/A's and a 2 (in chemistry :frown: ) and an A in a Higher for my actual results last year, with it being pretty much the same as my prelims except I think I got another 2 in them :smile:
this year for my prelims I didn't work as hard as I should've and I got ABBCC but after a couple of second prelims I overall got AAACC :redface:
Reply 88
Original post by Direct15
I was unsure because I am the only girl applying for engineering with about 6/7 boys most females focus on teaching and medicine or law in our school :frown: I felt alone for a moment

noope you're not alone! one of my closest female friends wants to apply for engineering this year :biggrin:
That's worried me!

I wouldn't worry too much, some people will probably be crashing the subjects and when you go back it'll probably all start coming back to you.
So, pop-quiz. How are you planning on opening your results - with family? With friends? Alone!?
Original post by Ecosse_14
I wouldn't worry too much, some people will probably be crashing the subjects and when you go back it'll probably all start coming back to you.

I didn't do standard grade history though :smile:

Reply 92
Original post by mysqa
So, pop-quiz. How are you planning on opening your results - with family? With friends? Alone!?

probably alone! Last year, I totally forgot about SG results day and when I left the house in the morning, it came as a complete surprise to me! I think opening the envelope alone relieves a lot of the pressure present when someone is watching you, with high expectations :tongue:
I'd like to open it with friends, because we'd all be on the same boat - but they're all hesitant about my idea. I will open them alone, but my family will probably be standing outside my bedroom door!

My Dad actually asked me if I wanted him to open the results. What a crazy idea!

Original post by mysqa

Alone. Then will likely be immediately hounded by my mother who will have already prepared her, "At least you passed" speech for if I get C's. :rolleyes:

Would love to do it with friends but I went to a college an hour and a half away from home (by train) and none of my friends in the local area are expecting results.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mysqa

Alone. Just, forever alone.
Reply 96
Marking instructions are up guys :frown: For highers at least. You have to use control + F like has been said previously and search '2012' , but you can open the files now

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm

I've only checked English so far so they may not all be uploaded
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by -Neuro-
I have a question. How unpredictable are Higher English results. A lot if people are saying they can't tell how well they are going to do. To what extent is this true? What tips do any of you have to make sure that you know and will come out with an A?

:five: With you on this one. :redface:
It seems so impossible at the moment and we're only a month in. :afraid: I know a couple of people who did really well in english at standard grade and int2 who have dropped it already.
Original post by mysqa

Alone. :redface:
Then my mam will want to know how I've done and will say "I knew you'd pass!" if I pass or "But that's still really good!" if I fail. My dad will probably forget like last time. I think the only time he clocked I'd had exams was when I came in with the results. :biggrin:
I'm starting to get seriously stressed. just realised I think I've done all chemistry calculations with oxygen in them wrong. AGGHHH!

Lauren

Quick Reply

Latest