The Student Room Group

Finishing A-Levels a year early?

I've just finished year 11, and I've completed 3 A2's with my GCSEs (I don't care if you don't believe me) in Maths, History and English Literature. I took my Maths, English and History GCSEs in year 9. When I start sixth form I will be taking AS Economics, Physics, Biology and Geography. Since I will already have 3 A-levels, would it be worth applying to university a year early and leave will 3 A2 and 4 AS? I want to apply for a Law degree.

I'm not trying to show off, and I don't care if you don't believe me. I got 3 A's in AS last year and I think I've got A or A*'s in the A2's I've just done. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

With 4 good as's and 3 A2's like that why would you do another year?
Reply 2
Bump.
Reply 3
Original post by Toxicity
I've just finished year 11, and I've completed 3 A2's with my GCSEs (I don't care if you don't believe me) in Maths, History and English Literature. I took my Maths, English and History GCSEs in year 9. When I start sixth form I will be taking AS Economics, Physics, Biology and Geography. Since I will already have 3 A-levels, would it be worth applying to university a year early and leave will 3 A2 and 4 AS? I want to apply for a Law degree.

I'm not trying to show off, and I don't care if you don't believe me. I got 3 A's in AS last year and I think I've got A or A*'s in the A2's I've just done. Thanks :smile:

I don't care that you got all of those.
And I don't care that you don't care.

Now: use your common sense and start applying for a law degree- there's really no point in doing 2 years that aren't necessary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Isn't there an age restriction on undergraduate courses?
Or is that just a rumour?
Reply 5
How did you do it?all i can think of is an intensive one year course (a fast track version of A levels ).
Reply 6
I've heard that you can go to university early, and with those grades if you got accepted into a good university and you're studying something you really enjoy, then i think you should definitely apply. For most people the whole point of A Levels is to get the grades to go to university, so if you've already got them, there is no point in wasting your time (unless of course you want to broaden your knowledge and take more subjects haha)

Probably the only 'downside' to you going to university a year early would be that you won't be legally allowed to go to any clubs and drink, but if you have no interest in the social side of university then you should be fine.

Ps. I can't believe you've got As in those AS subjects, I did Maths last year and I found it really difficult haha
So instead of spending an extra year doing 4 ASs why don't you do two fast tracked a levels, in that year. So then you have 5 A2s :smile:
I wouldn't want to go to university when im 16, but that just might be me. I would do two extra years and try to sweep up as many different A Levels as I could, with possibly doing an Open University course in the meanwhile.
Original post by PrismaticCore
Isn't there an age restriction on undergraduate courses?
Or is that just a rumour?

Nope, I'm 16 and applying in September :smile:

Might I ask why you took those GCSEs in year 9? Maths I can understand, but English and History aren't really subjects where people get spotted as being geniuses :smile: As for uni, it depends on whether you'd want to leave your friends behind halfway through sixth form?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Junaid96

Might I ask why you took those GCSEs in year 9? Maths I can understand, but English and History aren't really subjects where people get spotted as being geniuses :smile: As for uni, it depends on whether you'd want to leave your friends behind halfway through sixth form?

I sat history GCSE in year nine... :tongue:
Do you go to a private school?
Reply 12
I know someone who took 1 or 2 gcses early,not sure if she did any AS's early though.
Reply 13
Original post by Junaid96

In year 7 I was performing at a GCSE level in Maths, English and History. After a while my teachers gave me some papers to do in timed conditions and I was always getting A*'s in them and I did the GCSEs in year 9 when I wanted to do the real ones.

I wouldn't really mind leaving halfway through sixth form. My best friend is in the year above me and he's interested in the same universities I am, so I probably wouldn't be going alone.

What do you think I should do?
(edited 11 years ago)
In year 7 I was performing at a GCSE level in Maths, English and History. After a while my teachers gave me some papers to do in timed conditions and I was always getting A*'s in them and I did the GCSEs in year 9 when I wanted to do the real ones.

I wouldn't really mind leaving halfway through sixth form. My best friend is in the year above me and he's interested in the same universities I am, so I probably wouldn't be going alone.

What do you think I should do?

Apply then, if you wouldn't mind. You can always say no to the unis if you don't get to go with your friend or if you change your mind. Actually that's a good idea - it's not set in stone - you can always say no to unis and reapply next year, or even ask if you can go the year after.
Reply 15
Thanks very much :smile: Anyone else got anything to say?
There was a lad in my school that took music and ICT A levels during GCSE's, so I believe you OP :smile:
Why not take the year out to get loads of experience? Come September 2013, you could have an amazing personal statement.
Reply 18
Bump.
Reply 19
Do you want to go to university at 16/17? You'll be much younger than everyone else and won't be able to join in on the nights out ect.

Quick Reply