The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Any SOAS students living in North London?

I'm going to SOAS in September (MA Religion) and looked into all the accommodation options before settling on Opal 4 Tufnell Park -- it's a bit north, so I'm wondering if any other SOAS students will be making the trek?
Reply 1
Hi. I live in north London. Down the road from where you will be living. I went to Kent for my undergrad. But my family home has always been in islington. The travel links to Soas are great FYI. You can get the 17 from holloway road to kings x and walk. Then u have the 91. Which takes you to Russell square. Or if you're nearer Tuffnell park station- the 390 to kings x.

Oh and I will be doing ma: history of art ..

:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Looking from opal location- 134 bus to euston is an option too. It's not far don't worry !

Reply 3
Original post by uhuru
Looking from opal location- 134 bus to euston is an option too. It's not far don't worry !

Thanks for all the info -- very helpful! I hadn't even thought of taking the bus; Opal 4 is around the corner from the tube, but it's not direct to Russell Square.

Actually, since you're familiar with the area, maybe you can explain something to me? I was looking at the Trip Planner on the TFL website and it keeps telling me to take the tube to Euston, not to Russell Square tube stop, to get to SOAS. However, the SOAS website makes it seem like the Russell Square tube is just around the corner and Euston is a bit of a walk (maybe 15 min?). It seems odd that the Trip Planner would be so set against me taking to tube to Russell Square!
Reply 4
Tfl is sooo stupid sometimes. Hence always suggesting the tube. However if you go to advanced options and check the means of transport you want to use and check bus it will direct you the 134 or 390 route. If you were to take the tube you can get off at euston as its not that far from Russell square and changing for the picidilly line (Russell) to the northern (Tuffnell park) can be longer within the station.

Obviously you will get to know when's the most busy commuting times are. Ie. I get the bus only after 10 am as most people have driven to work etc and roads have less traffic.

Reply 5
Thanks for the input -- really appreciate it!
Reply 6
134 to Torrington Place or Chenies Street stops, both on Gower Street. Then just walk across for like less than 5 minutes. I used to live extremely close by there last year (I'm at UCL not SOAS though). Doesn't take too long in the off-peak. The 390 stops at the same place. It's usually a bit quicker.

The Opal 4 is huge, and loads of students live around Tufnell Park and Archway, so you certainly won't be alone.
Reply 7
Original post by cbuchwa1
Thanks for the input -- really appreciate it!

No worries! Hopefully see you around! Our draft timetables are now available...
Reply 8
Original post by uhuru
No worries! Hopefully see you around! Our draft timetables are now available...

Sorry to be a pain, but where can you see draft timetables? I seem to get lost on the SOAS website every time!

Never mind -- I found it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Scratch that. Google loves me.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply