The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

The Ups and Downs of Glamorgan University

Having accepted my conditional offer from glamorgan uni i have now considered to ask about the ups and downs of university (bad idea).

So what are the goods and the bads about the uni and everything else.
Reply 1
I've accepted Glamorgan as my firm too :smile: What are you applying for?

Just wondering - did they send you a confirmation email? I seem to remember UCAS saying that they would (and their website says you need a confirmation email in order to apply for accommodation) but not had one yet... How long did yours take to come through?

PS - sorry I couldn't help with your original question! :P

Livvy
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 2
Original post by livvy_c
I've accepted Glamorgan as my firm too :smile: What are you applying for?

Just wondering - did they send you a confirmation email? I seem to remember UCAS saying that they would (and their website says you need a confirmation email in order to apply for accommodation) but not had one yet... How long did yours take to come through?

PS - sorry I couldn't help with your original question! :P

Livvy

Hey Livvy, I'm the same. I've accepted Glamorgan as my firm and I have an unconditional offer and was told I would get an email confirmation but still haven't received one yet. For me, it's been a full week now.
Reply 3
Hey, I have applied for forensic science. I have applied for accomodation also at glamorgan courts. I would recommend waiting between 1 - 2 and half weeks after confirming glamorgan as your firm choice in order to receive a reply. I confirmed it and after a period of time got an email asking me to apply for accomodation.
Reply 4
Good points: facilities (library, gym etc), near to Cardiff, good transport links, good Student Union, friendly area

Bad points: costs more to go for a night out (train and taxi home), not much goes on in Treforest, on a ridiculously steep hill :P
Reply 5
Original post by rosiegarden
Good points: facilities (library, gym etc), near to Cardiff, good transport links, good Student Union, friendly area

Bad points: costs more to go for a night out (train and taxi home), not much goes on in Treforest, on a ridiculously steep hill :P

Thanks appreciate it :smile: i have heard of that steep hill. bring it on hahaha
Reply 6
fills me with joy that haha. too late already accepted
Reply 7
Original post by bayoftigers
A conditional offer from Glamorgan? In all the time I was there, I've never heard of many student who do - They tend to have unconditional offers through clearing. The courses on offer (they've been getting rid of so many areas), the structure, the contact-time with lecturers, the faclities, the union representation, the nightlife limited 24-hr facilities (with the infamous sidegate "lock-in") the parking charges, the expectation of the institution on what they think your degree is about (not what you think it is for) is absolutely abysmal, poor and much of their "successes" is just PR spin.

If you have other conditional offers that are only slightly higher than Glamorgan, I'd STRONGLY recommend you consider the other ones.
Also, if you go for moving out of halls of residents, DO NOT go with any of the local landlords, as they will most likely rip you off your cash and give you little in return (particularly Let Right) - Also, if you want to get some last minute essays handed in and get home for the christmas holidays, DON'T even consider Glamorgan - They've shut down campuses for a few flakes of snow with only half an hour warnings - Even if you get to the 24 hour computer labs if you're stranded here, they have so much software and problems with the network that you'll be asking for help every 5 minutes.

I'm not exaggerating the problems - this is what happens day-in day-out at Glamorgan - and the staff are generally rude and obnoxious when asking for help. Trust me - consider Cardiff Uni or somewhere else - Glamorgan is pretty much the worst of the worst institutions in Wales to set foot in and has ruined the lives of so many people - complaining and offering solutions to them only has you put on a list for them to stress out and take money off. Trust me, most other places offer FAR more than Glamorgan EVER will provide to you at your time here.

I think that all of this is a bit too harsh. It's true that a lot of students are at Glamorgan because they applied through Clearing but just because there are a lot of preferable choices doesn't mean that Glamorgan isn't any good, it just means that places like Cardiff Uni are better known, nearer to the city, etc.

I feel that the facilities and the Union at Glamorgan are really good considering the area it is in. They have lots of good nights in the SU, their own club, pub and bar area as well as a beauty salon, hairdressers and letting agency right on campus.

I've never been to Uni anywhere else so obviously can't really compare very easily but from what I've heard from my friends who are at other Unis, my lifestyle in Treforest is pretty similar to theirs (Leicester, Chester, Bristol etc.) but with the bonus of cheaper housing!

Good luck with your conditional offer :smile:
I think it's a bit of a dive but don't know the uni at all and have only ever been to Treforest. My advice, if you can go somewhere a bit better do it just because Glamorgan isn't the best uni. HOWEVER loads of people I know love going to Glam so hey ho :smile:

And yeah, I can imagine getting to and from Cardiff is an absolute ball ache.
Reply 9
Original post by bayoftigers
A conditional offer from Glamorgan? In all the time I was there, I've never heard of many student who do - They tend to have unconditional offers through clearing. The courses on offer (they've been getting rid of so many areas), the structure, the contact-time with lecturers, the faclities, the union representation, the nightlife limited 24-hr facilities (with the infamous sidegate "lock-in") the parking charges, the expectation of the institution on what they think your degree is about (not what you think it is for) is absolutely abysmal, poor and much of their "successes" is just PR spin.

If you have other conditional offers that are only slightly higher than Glamorgan, I'd STRONGLY recommend you consider the other ones.
Also, if you go for moving out of halls of residents, DO NOT go with any of the local landlords, as they will most likely rip you off your cash and give you little in return (particularly Let Right) - Also, if you want to get some last minute essays handed in and get home for the christmas holidays, DON'T even consider Glamorgan - They've shut down campuses for a few flakes of snow with only half an hour warnings - Even if you get to the 24 hour computer labs if you're stranded here, they have so much software and problems with the network that you'll be asking for help every 5 minutes.

I'm not exaggerating the problems - this is what happens day-in day-out at Glamorgan - and the staff are generally rude and obnoxious when asking for help. Trust me - consider Cardiff Uni or somewhere else - Glamorgan is pretty much the worst of the worst institutions in Wales to set foot in and has ruined the lives of so many people - complaining and offering solutions to them only has you put on a list for them to stress out and take money off. Trust me, most other places offer FAR more than Glamorgan EVER will provide to you at your time here.

^ Clearly a very unhappy student..

I'm a first year student at Glamorgan and I absolutely love it here. I live in Cardiff (Cambrian point) and catch the train into Treforest 3 times a week.

Positives:
The business school is excellent with very good teaching (I'm a business student)
Facilities on campus are good, especially the food.
Everyone is friendly
Support for disabled/dyslexic students is also very good.

Negatives:
The Treforest campus is on a massive hill, which if you are in H block often like me makes you hate life.
Having to catch the train into uni.. (obviously if you lived on campus this wouldn't apply), currently stands at £6.00 for a standard return ticket, £3.95 if you buy a valley card, and £3.45 with a 16-25 rail card (can only be used after 10 AM)
The only nightlife in Treforest is the SU on campus, which is why I'm very glad I live in Cardiff as the nightlife in town is amazing. Can't comment about SU nights as I've never been to one.
Original post by Graceyy
^ Clearly a very unhappy student..

I'm a first year student at Glamorgan and I absolutely love it here. I live in Cardiff (Cambrian point) and catch the train into Treforest 3 times a week.

Positives:
The business school is excellent with very good teaching (I'm a business student)
Facilities on campus are good, especially the food.
Everyone is friendly
Support for disabled/dyslexic students is also very good.

Negatives:
The Treforest campus is on a massive hill, which if you are in H block often like me makes you hate life.
Having to catch the train into uni.. (obviously if you lived on campus this wouldn't apply), currently stands at £6.00 for a standard return ticket, £3.95 if you buy a valley card, and £3.45 with a 16-25 rail card (can only be used after 10 AM)
The only nightlife in Treforest is the SU on campus, which is why I'm very glad I live in Cardiff as the nightlife in town is amazing. Can't comment about SU nights as I've never been to one.

I study in H block! It sucks but it could be worse, have you ever been up the hill to accommodation? It's more like a wall than a hill!

And the SU nights are okay, I'd say they're better than you'd expect from what is technically a nightclub in the middle of nowhere, but obviously they don't compare to nights out in Cardiff! They have some pretty fun themes and cheap drinks though :smile:
Reply 11
Hi Guys :smile:

Ive just confirmed my unconditional offer from Glamorgan. :smile: Buisness Management

I have actually applied before getting into Birmingham Uni however was really unahppy with the choice due to so many factors (used to live in bham) I moved back home and after another year i applied to glamorgan. My boyfriend studys there and is very happy obtaining very good marks and always finds that they are willing to help! The hill is a killer..... and im doing Buisness so right at the top in Block H.

In regards to the bad review I know a lecturer from cardiff uni and she highly regards Glamorgan as a good uni. Plus my opinion is no matter if the uni is not high in the tables, if you really want to sucseed and work hard you will get a good grade anyway! make the most of it!

where is everyone looking at living... im rather excited. Paid my deposit for cambrian point :smile:
Reply 12
Hi
After putting Manchester as my firm choice ive just changed Glamorgan to my firm to study business management and have applied to stay in the Mountain Halls. Because i had manchester as my firm I never thought to visit Glamorgan. It seems that everyone has a different opinion on glamorgan which is making me kind of nervous now, especially since im moving from a big city like birmingham to a little welsh village
Reply 13
Hi James!
I lived inthe centre of Birmingham for two years! Ponty is quiet... But cardiff is a train way away so not far. It is very different to brum but not in a bad way! Dont be nervous :smile: It is a good university and its what you make of it, Im doing buisness also. :smile:
Reply 14
Are you in your 2nd year there ?
What is the business school like ?
Reply 15
Well I will be going into first year too! Ive taken two years out. But have been working and living in cardiff since I moved back from birmingham two years ago! The Buisness school is up a huge hill! Its good if you make the most of it. They have some good links and placements. My Boyfriends going to be a third year so ive been around campus alot :smile: will keep you fit deffinately!
Reply 16
Been accepted for Media Production at Glamorgan, conformation letter is on its way :biggrin:
Can't wait, only a month or so to go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending