The Student Room Group

Once You've Passed Your Test, Can You Drive on the Motorway Right Away?

I thought that you were able to drive on the motorway straight after having passed your test, however someone mentioned to me recently that you have to have been driving for a year before you can drive on the motorway? :confused:

Can anyone clear this up for me?
I thought youu couldn't but then I remember a friend telling me you could...if I was you I'd Google it just to make sure
In the UK you can drive on the motorway as soon as you've passed your test. All the legal requirements & speed limits are the same for any driver.
You can legally drive on the motorway as soon as you've passed your test. If you're uncomfortable at the thought of doing that, maybe doing pass-plus would be a good step to get used to driving at higher speeds.
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
I thought that you were able to drive on the motorway straight after having passed your test, however someone mentioned to me recently that you have to have been driving for a year before you can drive on the motorway? :confused:

Can anyone clear this up for me?

You can drive on the motorway straight away - but I would get a lesson from driving instructor before you do so - there are some mad drivers out there and motorways make em worse and there is motorway etiquette too

Quick Reply