The Student Room Group

If you could only have one child, would you prefer to have a boy or a girl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
A girl. I think it would be nice to dress her up (girls clothes are way cooler :tongue: ) give her advice when shes old enough to date and do mother-daughter bonding. I could do all that with a son, but if I had to pick, I'd want a girl.

Actually, if i had kids, I'd want both, a boy and a girl. Complete set :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
Boy so I can show him how to play football, shoot and make cocktails and choose the correct wine when out for dinner.
Reply 42
Original post by College_Dropout
Boy, costs less in my opinion.

I agree, I can imagine a teenage girl being much more vulnerable to peer pressure and wanting a £200 dress for some stupid occasion never to be worn again. I wouldn’t want to deal with hormonal teenage girls. On top of that I would be able to relate better with a boy and not have to ward off any teenage boyfriends that are brought home lol.
Original post by covered farm wagon
Hah!

Oh heavenly blessed beauty, whose beauty would inspire jealousy even in the most magnificently aureate of women; the kind of women sculpted by the classical masters, captured by painters for hundreds of years, and immortalised in both film and art. Yours is a beauty worth mentioning every day.

Come to me princess, and we shall build a life together in the south of France, living like meridional nobility, suffering no ill will or torment. I will serenade you daily with my lute, and cook you the finest cuisine.

My body is ready.

<3
Reply 44
Boy, because I've just always wanted a son. I don't pretend its easier having a boy, because they can easily be as much trouble as girls (e.g. getting into crime ect).
Oddly enough my boyfriend would prefer a girl.
Reply 45
Wow as someone else said before this thread pretty much explains the whole female infanticide trend.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C
Where's the 'don't care' option?
Boy. They are just much cuter as children, more mischievous, more adventurous and when they become teenagers they don't cry on about stupid stuff as much. I've always enjoyed looking after male children more than females, they never throw tantrums and have such a funny take on things.
Original post by Podcaster
Wow as someone else said before this thread pretty much explains the whole female infanticide trend.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C

I'm all for choice and people having their own internal preferences but 60-30% is a skewed up ratio. Female infanticide happens in the UK as well..while its in asian families i can also see how subconsciously non-asians discriminate and have gender preferences.

i always thought guys would prefer daughters and mums might like sons or be indifferent because of teh whole daddy's little girl and mummy's boy stereotype. My sister gels with my dad better etc
girl.
Original post by M4LLY
A boy, simply because as a male i will have a better idea of what his interests are

what if he turns out to be gay or if he is straight but has different hobbies and preferences/interests to you?
what if people had to choose between a gay son and a daughter? Or a son and a lesbian daughter?
How much of a role does sexual orientation and stereotypes play in this?
so basically the views here are no different to the views in asian countries like India and China. Only difference is poverty and societal prejudice makes them act in extreme ways. But in the UK people are generally more well off and there is little social prejudice/restriction against girls..yet the difference is not as stark.
Original post by covered farm wagon
... and we shall knock back shots of "christmas in a glass" each and every blessed day. So are we going to have boy babies or girl babies?

Absolutely. And we'll have three, by the way; one of each. :ahee:
I've always liked the idea of having a boy first because I think it would be nice if I then had a daughter afterwards and she had an older brother to look out for her at school and be protective of her when I can't be there.

If I could only have one then I guess it wouldn't really matter much to me... Potty training is meant to be more awkward for boys but then they're generally cheaper to look after, you don't have to worry about them getting pregnant and I quite like the idea of raising a really lovely gentleman.... I've voted boy... A girl would be lovely too though and we could go shopping together and have lots of girly fun :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by Minotauro
Boy
The wet bed conversation is a lot easier than the bloody mattress conversation

Don't you think that'd be your wife's job? :wink:
Reply 56
Boy.
One of the main reasons being that I know how a lot of males think about women and I wouldn't want my daughter being one of them, too much stress :tongue:
Reply 57
Boy because

1. Someone to carry the family name
2. As a male, easier to relate
3. Less female drama
Boy, purely so I can teach them my own version of cerebral football-playing and change the fortunes of the English national team :frown:
Reply 59
Original post by lilyobz
Boy, he can carry on my bloodline.

what if turns out gay loool
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest