The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Dental Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by gzgzgz
has anyone heard anything about the occupational health stuff yet or started their hepatitis vaccines?

I emailed them the other day about this. She just said as long as I filled in the occupational health form we got at our interviews and returned it the NHS Grampian would be in contact closer to the course start date. So guess its just a waiting game! You all sorted with fees and accommodation now?
Reply 61
Original post by jensen33
NO i haven'thad much apart from the PVG form. anyone know any desent priced accomodation? really struggling and dont want to live in halls.

thanks

I'm going to be staying in thr unite halls mealmarket exchange. Cheaper than going in the mature student uni halls. Probably look to get a house/flat share next year when I know more about the place etc
Reply 62
NO i haven'thad much apart from the PVG form. anyone know any desent priced accomodation? really struggling and dont want to live in halls.

thanks

Original post by Wadds
I emailed them the other day about this. She just said as long as I filled in the occupational health form we got at our interviews and returned it the NHS Grampian would be in contact closer to the course start date. So guess its just a waiting game! You all sorted with fees and accommodation now?

I applied to langstane housing association and got a flat pretty quick. Its not that nice but still got plenty of time to decorate. Plus side its £320 pcm and about 30min walk from uni which as far as I can tell is really cheap for Aberdeen. I will be moving in from the beginning of September if anyone fancies meeting up before the course starts?

I think fees and that are sorted, well I hope! its all a bit vague :P how about yourself?
Reply 63
Hi,

I've accepted at Aberdeen and can't wait to start. I was wondering how people are getting on with finding a place to live? I've not seen a huge amount out there and would like to avoid halls if possible.
Reply 64
I can't wait either, still haven't got my acc yet but will hopefully be moving up there in early sept and would love to meet some of uses once am up there.

I am moving up there with my girlfriend so need a place of our own. It's so hard to find somewhere that is reasonable! everything that we have seen up to now is £650 pcm or more :-O

when is everyone moving up the Aberdeen?
Reply 65
Hey,

I wasn't keen on halls at first but the unite ones look really good and with them being seperate from the uni ones will hopefully have a few more mature/international students...But if your moving with your gf that ain't really an option lol

Staying in the same flat with someone else starting in September that I've met on here so that should be good.

Fees all sorted I think! Just waiting to hear about health checks now. I'll probably be moving in from ~8th September and would definitely be up for meeting up! Facebook is Jonny Wardell if anyone fancies a chat :smile: (wearing a striped tee in my profile pic lol)

Are people keeping/trying to get a part time job whilst studying or do you think the course will be too "intense" ha?
Reply 66
cool will add you :smile: I will need a part time job but not sure whether I will be able to handle both :-\ during uni the first time i always had a job or three but obviously this is going to be alot more intense.

Am still trying to sort out my fees and finance ect :angry: sooo long winded!!
Reply 67
I had a phone call today about health screening checks. Having it done on the 12th September, so think I'll move up the weekend before if anyone is about then. Anyone else having their health checks on the 12th?
Reply 68
I'm not moving up until the weekend before the course starts and will then be getting my health check on the 18th.....

I'm currently working as a hygiene/therapist and would like to work during the course but during my interview I spoke about this and the interviewer, the guy from paeds who was asking about finance and what I knew about aberdeen, said that he thought the first year would be too intense but the second year may be possible.

I'm scottish so the fees should be sorted out, the NHS should be paying them along with the bursary but I'm not counting any chickens.......

I'm kenny strain on facebook, climbing in a red jacket in the profile picture if anyone wants to get in touch before
Reply 69
Original post by Gucci Mane2010
I am hoping to apply to aberdeen for the next cycle. What would you say helped you to gain an interview with them and what aspect of your application does aberdeen focus on?

Open to anyone who managed to guarantee an interview or knows something that can help :smile:

hey! I'm applying too! from what i've read on their site it seems to be (imo)

1. do you meet the 2.i minimum
2. ucas form score (p.s, w/e etc..)
3. UKCAT (which apparently has 10% weighing - but not an excuse to slack :P )
then if you're lucky enough to get interview
4. interview score

completely unrelated but are you zimbabwean?
Original post by tibbycee
hey! I'm applying too! from what i've read on their site it seems to be (imo)

1. do you meet the 2.i minimum
2. ucas form score (p.s, w/e etc..)
3. UKCAT (which apparently has 10% weighing - but not an excuse to slack :P )
then if you're lucky enough to get interview
4. interview score

completely unrelated but are you zimbabwean?

They do have a good site with good information but you never know what else is common knowledge that you might miss out on.
After Plymouth stopped offering their GEP, Aberdeen has gotten higher up my list.

Yes I am Zimbabwean :smile:
Reply 71
My appointment is Monday the 10th and I should be about from the 1st/2nd I think. I am going to try and not get a job during term time and do temping at Christmas and that instead but will have to see how that works out. Aberdeen is more expensive than I am used to (and way more shops too...)
Reply 72
Original post by gzgzgz
I applied to langstane housing association and got a flat pretty quick. Its not that nice but still got plenty of time to decorate. Plus side its £320 pcm and about 30min walk from uni which as far as I can tell is really cheap for Aberdeen. I will be moving in from the beginning of September if anyone fancies meeting up before the course starts?

I think fees and that are sorted, well I hope! its all a bit vague :P how about yourself?

How many point to you have to get a house? how many did you have? how long did they take sorting you a place?

Sorry about the 21 questions, Aberdeen is very expensive compared tp other citys i have lived in the lower my rent the better!! lol Also, am up for meeting up as soon as i get there :smile:
Reply 73
They do have a good site with good information but you never know what else is common knowledge that you might miss out on.
After Plymouth stopped offering their GEP, Aberdeen has gotten higher up my list.

Yes I am Zimbabwean :smile:

Yay me too :smile: ndebele/shona/sotho?

Yea, been reading around forums looking for people that got into Aberdeen and its quite a varied bunch. :s-smilie:

I shed a couple of tears over Plymouth. I haven't been so down about anything this year!! ****ed my Chem A-level so UCLan and Liverpool are out.. Kings is hanging in the balance because the course is under review and that leaves Aberdeen. 5 yr is not an option for me.

Yea, been reading around forums looking for people that got into Aberdeen and its quite a varied bunch. :s-smilie:

I shed a couple of tears over Plymouth. I haven't been so down about anything this year!! ****ed my Chem A-level so UCLan and Liverpool are out.. Kings is hanging in the balance because the course is under review and that leaves Aberdeen. 5 yr is not an option for me.

Shona but not so fluent in it anymore, just able to understand it well enough.

I would not mind doing 5 years if we still received the same financial support as 4 years but if anything I think my UKCAT or w/e would let me down. Finished my PS and im confident that the rest of it is competitive enough.

What degree are you doing?
Reply 75

Hi,

Sorry to say but my personal reference for my application was very senior in the dental school I trained at, there was only one person more senior. He told me that he thought it very likely that aberdeen would be 5 years and even though I'd got in while it is a 4 year course, it is likely to change to 5 years while I am on it.

4 years was a big part of me choosing aberdeen but I've had to accept that it may change to 5 years......:frown:
If you get accepted onto a four year course and it changes to five years then do you still receive finance like its for four years?
Is £3000 all I have to worry about in short?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 77
If you get accepted onto a four year course and it changes to five years then do you still receive finance like its for four years?
Is £3000 all I have to worry about in short?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

to be honest i'm not sure how the finance will go if the course goes from 4 to 5 years.....

I'd imagine that they would have to commit to what ever they have given us and then change the system for the people coming after us
Reply 78
How many point to you have to get a house? how many did you have? how long did they take sorting you a place?

Sorry about the 21 questions, Aberdeen is very expensive compared tp other citys i have lived in the lower my rent the better!! lol Also, am up for meeting up as soon as i get there :smile:

Had my name on the list first time with my partner and got offered a house after about 6months but he was nearly finished his course so we turned it down. Next time we put the application in I was offered a flat in about one month which was a lot quicker than I expected. I guess it just depends when people move out etc how quickly you might get offered. Not sure how many points I had but you get extra for having to travel so many miles for education so think that was the main reason. No harm in trying anyway and see what they say :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by thekendo
Hi,

Sorry to say but my personal reference for my application was very senior in the dental school I trained at, there was only one person more senior. He told me that he thought it very likely that aberdeen would be 5 years and even though I'd got in while it is a 4 year course, it is likely to change to 5 years while I am on it.

4 years was a big part of me choosing aberdeen but I've had to accept that it may change to 5 years......:frown:

5 year in this admission cycle or the next one? Hopefully the next one :frown: Though I wouldn't put it past them to make it this year. BL did the same to its applicants. Scrapped the 4yr in favour of the 5yr mid-cycle!!
What year are you in at the moment?

Quick Reply

Latest