The Student Room Group

Tooth just fell apart... :(

So my back tooth just fell apart while I was eating a melted galaxy bar :confused: and I wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else. It was quite a big chunk and really freaked me out because even though my teeth are naturally yellow, I have always had them in a good condition (according to my dentist) although I haven't been to the dentist for a while since I've been at uni.

I can feel this gaping hole in my mouth now and it's horrible, I haven't had a tooth fall out since I was like 11. Should I worry about the state of my teeth? Should I change my dentist? Will my wisdom teeth replace it anyway (I don't know much about wisdom teeth...) Should I worry about my other teeth? :eek::eek::eek:

I honestly feel like crying, and I don't do that very often, but the thought of losing my teeth is terrifying and I'm totally freaking out!!! :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by willbee
So my back tooth just fell apart while I was eating a melted galaxy bar :confused: and I wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else. It was quite a big chunk and really freaked me out because even though my teeth are naturally yellow, I have always had them in a good condition (according to my dentist) although I haven't been to the dentist for a while since I've been at uni.

I can feel this gaping hole in my mouth now and it's horrible, I haven't had a tooth fall out since I was like 11. Should I worry about the state of my teeth? Should I change my dentist? Will my wisdom teeth replace it anyway (I don't know much about wisdom teeth...) Should I worry about my other teeth? :eek::eek::eek:

I honestly feel like crying, and I don't do that very often, but the thought of losing my teeth is terrifying and I'm totally freaking out!!! :frown:

happened to one of my baby teeth when I ate an amble crumble ironically enough... if it's an adult tooth go to a dentist
Reply 2
I keep having vivid dreams about this happening - that sounds like a crap response but I know how scary and gutting it feels when it happens!

Make an emergency appointment with your dentist, it may have just been an anomalie but it's best to be on the safe side and get it checked
Doesn't sound good. Wisdom teeth can be hard to brush and floss around and therefore you may be failing to keep it clean? They have special tooth brushes for that which you can pick up in most stores

interspace-brush.jpg

But I'd still go to the dentist. Another thing is whether you have within the past few months made any alterations to your diet? Sometimes this can be a cause of brittle teeth because they shouldn't be falling apart like that for no apparent reason.
Same thing happened to me, to tooth cracked in two whilst biting into a wheat crunchie. I never eat crisps anymore, I get crunchiness from apples now.
Reply 5
Original post by megan.c
I keep having vivid dreams about this happening - that sounds like a crap response but I know how scary and gutting it feels when it happens!

Make an emergency appointment with your dentist, it may have just been an anomalie but it's best to be on the safe side and get it checked

I've had that dream too!! Now it's reality, proper actual nightmare!!! Apparently if you dream about your teeth falling out though then it usually means you're subconsciously worrying too much. There's a whole website about it as a matter of fact: http://www.teethfallingoutdream.org/

Original post by pshewitt1
happened to one of my baby teeth when I ate an amble crumble ironically enough... if it's an adult tooth go to a dentist

I don't know if it is an adult tooth or baby one, my teeth all fell out and changed too long ago to remember, but I'm deffo going to try to get a filling or something ASAP.

Original post by The Epicurean
Doesn't sound good. Wisdom teeth can be hard to brush and floss around and therefore you may be failing to keep it clean? They have special tooth brushes for that which you can pick up in most stores

interspace-brush.jpg

But I'd still go to the dentist. Another thing is whether you have within the past few months made any alterations to your diet? Sometimes this can be a cause of brittle teeth because they shouldn't be falling apart like that for no apparent reason.

Yeah, I don't floss, I suppose I'd better start... I don't think it is a wisdom tooth, because they come through later so I'm hoping it will be replaced by one, but I'll deffo visit the dentist about it. The only change in my diet is that I'm eating a lot more than I used to, in order to gain weight. I guess maybe it could be because I don't use mouthwash or floss, so maybe I'm not cleaning the back teeth well enough...

Thanks for all the responses, not so worried now, but I think I need to take wayyy more care of my teeth.
Reply 6
Original post by willbee
I've had that dream too!! Now it's reality, proper actual nightmare!!! Apparently if you dream about your teeth falling out though then it usually means you're subconsciously worrying too much. There's a whole website about it as a matter of fact: http://www.teethfallingoutdream.org/

You might still be dreaming now! xD
I really hated those dreams though, they were recurring but stopped as soon as what I was worried about was over... ie. going to the dentists (hate it. My dental hygiene is exquisite simply because I have no desire to be in the chair longer than I need to)
Reply 7
This happened to me, I was chewing a mint imperial and a quarter of my molar snapped off. Go to your dentist and they'll give you some meds and then you'll probably have a filling. It's likely to have been caused by an infection, that's what I had. You'll get told to clean better and floss more.
Oh and you'll have to fork out a few notes to pay for it
Reply 8
Original post by megan.c
You might still be dreaming now! xD
I really hated those dreams though, they were recurring but stopped as soon as what I was worried about was over... ie. going to the dentists (hate it. My dental hygiene is exquisite simply because I have no desire to be in the chair longer than I need to)

Haha, I actually like visiting the dentists', cos it's so sterile and clean and the chair makes me feel like an astronaut...

Anyway, I used to get it as a recurring dream too, and now I have one recurring dream where I get crowned queen of England and stuff, and I'm like "Nooooo, you've got it all wrong, I'M A MAN, I REALLY AM!!" and nobody notices and it's horrible, and another one which is even worse where I'm working at a restaurant with my sister and we have to make pate from our fingers. :confused:

I kind of know what the first might mean, but as for the second, I have absolutely no idea... :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by willbee
Haha, I actually like visiting the dentists', cos it's so sterile and clean and the chair makes me feel like an astronaut...

Anyway, I used to get it as a recurring dream too, and now I have one recurring dream where I get crowned queen of England and stuff, and I'm like "Nooooo, you've got it all wrong, I'M A MAN, I REALLY AM!!" and nobody notices and it's horrible, and another one which is even worse where I'm working at a restaurant with my sister and we have to make pate from our fingers. :confused:

I kind of know what the first might mean, but as for the second, I have absolutely no idea... :s-smilie:

Your dreams sound hilarious. I dreamt last night I was trying to uphold multiple jobs at the same time as being on a night out with some girl my boyfriend went to school with, has very little to do with and we only met by chance down at the pub one time.

Dreams are funny things, but the only realistic ones I have are tooth falling out ones and ones where I get dumped. Both I wake up with either a feeling of "CRAP my teeth! Oh no, they're here" or "PADDY HUG ME NOW!"
Original post by willbee

Yeah, I don't floss, I suppose I'd better start... I don't think it is a wisdom tooth, because they come through later so I'm hoping it will be replaced by one, but I'll deffo visit the dentist about it. The only change in my diet is that I'm eating a lot more than I used to, in order to gain weight. I guess maybe it could be because I don't use mouthwash or floss, so maybe I'm not cleaning the back teeth well enough...

Thanks for all the responses, not so worried now, but I think I need to take wayyy more care of my teeth.

You only have 4 wisdom teeth and they don't replace any previous teeth. They are teeth which start to come through at around 18 and are in addition to your adult teeth. If the tooth you lost was not a wisdom tooth then it will not be replaced; we're not like sharks, we only have 2 sets of teeth once they're gone, they're gone.

I know some people have said the contrary but I'd get it checked ASAP, you need your teeth and it is quite serious if they are breaking for no apparent reason. Personally I'd be really worried. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by megan.c
Your dreams sound hilarious. I dreamt last night I was trying to uphold multiple jobs at the same time as being on a night out with some girl my boyfriend went to school with, has very little to do with and we only met by chance down at the pub one time.

Dreams are funny things, but the only realistic ones I have are tooth falling out ones and ones where I get dumped. Both I wake up with either a feeling of "CRAP my teeth! Oh no, they're here" or "PADDY HUG ME NOW!"

Is your boyfriend called Paddy? That's awesome!!! Have you ever had a lucid dream where you realise you're dreaming and then one moment you're fleeing vampires and the next you're like "bitch please, stop chasing me, I just ran through a door into a building that's in Cornwall, this can't be real and vampires don't exist" or when you get shot and you can't feel the pain and you're like "it must be shock, it must be shock", and then you're like "no, I'm dreaming, it's all good, **** you zombie hunters, I'm off to the zoo." And then you're like in control of the dream for a while. ITS COOLER THAN INCEPTION.

Original post by SuperCat007
You only have 4 wisdom teeth and they don't replace any previous teeth. They are teeth which start to come through at around 18 and are in addition to your adult teeth. If the tooth you lost was not a wisdom tooth then it will not be replaced; we're not like sharks, we only have 2 sets of teeth once they're gone, they're gone.

I know some people have said the contrary but I'd get it checked ASAP, you need your teeth and it is quite serious if they are breaking for no apparent reason. Personally I'd be really worried. :s-smilie:

**** D: Well, thanks for the reply, I'll get a dentist appointment ASAP and hope it's just the one tooth that's breaking up. :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Lool something similar happened to me. Was eating some gummy bears and the top half of a tooth just fell off. See a dentist.
Reply 13
Original post by willbee
Is your boyfriend called Paddy? That's awesome!!! Have you ever had a lucid dream where you realise you're dreaming and then one moment you're fleeing vampires and the next you're like "bitch please, stop chasing me, I just ran through a door into a building that's in Cornwall, this can't be real and vampires don't exist" or when you get shot and you can't feel the pain and you're like "it must be shock, it must be shock", and then you're like "no, I'm dreaming, it's all good, **** you zombie hunters, I'm off to the zoo." And then you're like in control of the dream for a while. ITS COOLER THAN INCEPTION.

He is, it was also the name of my first cat :P I've never had a lucid dream, my friend used to get them a lot when he was waking up because his alarm radio was set to Classic FM and it apparently helped. Think he may have been exaggerating though.
Reply 14
Original post by megan.c
He is, it was also the name of my first cat :P I've never had a lucid dream, my friend used to get them a lot when he was waking up because his alarm radio was set to Classic FM and it apparently helped. Think he may have been exaggerating though.

Haha, weird coincidence. :tongue: Yeah, they also say playing classical music to your womb makes your babies smarter, but I don't believe it. I have this theory that people only pretend to listen to classical FM so they can look intelligent and stuff but then halfway through the song they switch to like Dizzee Rascal or something. Never been able to test it though, cos I can't bear most classical songs so I just turn it off or switch over too fast. :tongue: (No that's a joke, my dad plays it in the car, and hums along (wrong) every time.)
Original post by willbee

Mate, this EXACT same thing happend to me. I'd never had a single fill-in and my teeth were always in great shape, I brushed them well. Then, one day I was eating and my back tooth fell in half. I went to the dentist and he told me, as I suspected, that all my teeth were in good condition and needed no work, but this tooth had to be removed :angry: I was furious. I'd damaged it whilst rock climbing about a year before which meant it rotted on the inside and died, and now I have a missing tooth. I felt no pain and had no idea there was anything wrong until this point

Luckily, it isn't noticeable and it hasn't affectd me. But I still feel like a wino lol
Reply 16
Original post by willbee
Haha, weird coincidence. :tongue: Yeah, they also say playing classical music to your womb makes your babies smarter, but I don't believe it. I have this theory that people only pretend to listen to classical FM so they can look intelligent and stuff but then halfway through the song they switch to like Dizzee Rascal or something. Never been able to test it though, cos I can't bear most classical songs so I just turn it off or switch over too fast. :tongue: (No that's a joke, my dad plays it in the car, and hums along (wrong) every time.)

Gets weirder - his first fish was called Meg! Some soft classical music is quite nice I think but I'm not keen on big orchestral stuff :P

Have you booked a dentist appointment?

Quick Reply

Latest