The Student Room Group

architecture work experience

hi
i live in leeds (uk) and im interested in doing architecture work experience but i dont know how or where.
i have just finished sixth form and im currently in the gap year.
please help
Reply 1
look around for local firms, or any firms who you be able to travel to. Ring them or email them asking them if they would be willing to accept you as a volunteer to be able to get some work experience.
Reply 2
You don't really need work experience.
My friend went to a lot of architecture workshops instead because it's so difficult to find experience in actual firms, and uni's know this so you don't have to have experiences. But since you have a year, you might as well check out a few firms and try to convince them.
I disagree. i think work experience is a great idea and really fight to get some..its really really important that you make sure you like the look of what an architect does before you dedicate 7 years of your life to it.

go around to local firms to ask but i found at that age i was too shy/didnt know how to approach it...just like you

...in the end my dad found me a short placement in a local firm through a contact. ...i head BDP are quite accomodating too.

best of luck to you
Work experience not only gives you an insight into the industry, but also introduces you to the CAD/modelling software. It's a good start to networking - there's often a whole wealth of experience there from the director to Part 1 students, so you'll be able to get plenty of advice in terms of UCAS documents (e.g. personal statements) and also portfolio/interview advice, reading lists etc.. Really good companies even encourage you to take away your work from that practice and use it in interviews or as portfolio work. If you make a good impression they should be happy to welcome you back if you ever need experience again.
Also, architect offices (or the couple I've been to) are just wonderful, friendly places to be full of tea and fineliners :P

I live in London, so it's arguably easier for me to to find work experience, but the RIBA do have a directory by location. Some places will require you to write a couple of months in advance, so the earlier you start writing the better.

I personally think it's worth spending time on a good letter/CV - good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by ContemporaryTales
Work experience not only gives you an insight into the industry, but also introduces you to the CAD/modelling software. It's a good start to networking - there's often a whole wealth of experience there from the director to Part 1 students, so you'll be able to get plenty of advice in terms of UCAS documents (e.g. personal statements) and also portfolio/interview advice, reading lists etc.. Really good companies even encourage you to take away your work from that practice and use it in interviews or as portfolio work. If you make a good impression they should be happy to welcome you back if you ever need experience again.
Also, architect offices (or the couple I've been to) are just wonderful, friendly places to be full of tea and fineliners :P

I live in London, so it's arguably easier for me to to find work experience, but the RIBA do have a directory by location. Some places will require you to write a couple of months in advance, so the earlier you start writing the better.

I personally think it's worth spending time on a good letter/CV - good luck!

thank you very much, but the thing is i dont know where to get work experience, ive looked at the riba wesite but didnt find any useful contact numbers and never got any replies from emailing them.
and i dont know any other places who will let you do work experience!
Reply 6
Original post by homayoun
thank you very much, but the thing is i dont know where to get work experience, ive looked at the riba wesite but didnt find any useful contact numbers and never got any replies from emailing them!

you really need to call them, not email. bear in mind practices receive 10s, sometimes 100s of cvs and requests for work every month. they want to see people with some drive who call and find out what's going on.
Original post by homayoun
thank you very much, but the thing is i dont know where to get work experience, ive looked at the riba wesite but didnt find any useful contact numbers and never got any replies from emailing them.
and i dont know any other places who will let you do work experience!

https://members.architecture.com/directory/default.asp?dir=1

RIBA website > Find an Architect > Directories > UK Directory of RIBA Chartered Practices > Fill in details as required
Reply 8
I'm having pretty much the same issue! I live in London, and contacted around 40 architecture firms there and all of them refused saying that they don't accepts students anymore!

Its a shame, but I do understand their situation as they usually need to pay insurance for any person coming to work at their firm! (even temporary)

Well, i'm not going to give up, but I'm currently in Tanzania so got some work experience here! although it is preferable to get in the area that you want to practice in!

any suggestions of firms to apply to for students in London??
Reply 9
where could i go for work experience in London?
Original post by jordanss
where could i go for work experience in London?

Read post 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending