The Student Room Group

Mitt Romney continues to annoy the world

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpiggyTopes
I agree, it's fine. However, it won't bode well with the general public which is why it's an incredibly stupid thing to say. Can you imagine the uproar if David Cameron said that?

It's fine in any context.

You're misreading it as "I like to fire people working for me" or something like that.
Original post by Observatory
It would be higher if not for that. But bear in mind that:

1. The measured GDPPC of Palestinian Authority territory is only about half that of Jordan - $2k vs $4k. And Jordan is a functional state that can trade with most/all of its neighbours. The fundamental reason Palestine isn't as rich as Israel isn't the result of the border fence.

I am not sure what your point is. All you have shown is that Jordan is rubbish compared to Palestine.

2. The reason the fence was built is that the Palestinian Authority/PLO keeps trying to blow up Israeli schoolchildren, incidence of which has plummeted since the fence was finished. So the border fence can't be entirely separated from the government's actions either.

Ok. I am talking about the blockade. Not about the reasons for it / justifying it/ attacking it.
Original post by Bulbasaur
So they're gassing them, right? Deliciously ironic.

Perhaps not gassing them, but using the same level of brute force over a weaker population, yes.
Reply 23
Whatever it takes to pander to the crowd. If it doesn't go down well in the US or abroad with US deemed 'allies' (Israel), Romney will just backtrack as usual and say the complete opposite. He did it in the Olympics debacle - first day 'Britain might not be ready', next day outrage, next day 'Britain look ready'. :facepalm2:
Reply 24
He just seems like a cardboard cut-out of a human being. There's no emotion or passion, at the surface anyway. His policies (especially foreign policy) just seems so be populist and flimsy.
Reply 25
american elections scare the **** out of me :< always seems to be one nutjob in the running

and romneys anti-china fear tactics are pretty hilarious
Reply 26

. The Palestinian Authority calls him a racist? Ok. This is a group of people who intentionally blow up schoolchildren to advance their political goals. What next - Osama Bin Laden as an authoritative source on the success of the Obama presidency?

how is palestine suppose to build an economy when isreali troops randomly create check points and red tape all over palestine. Northern Irelands gdp per capitia is a fraction of england both countries have same culture

Also do you have a ****ing source to show the PA blew up schools ? Or do you just sprout from your own streotypes !!

I ca give you proof of jewish settlers killing arab villagers of idf bombing hospitals

Can produce a shred of evidence to back up your allegation against the PA ?

Isreali leaders according to their own courts are amongst the most corrupt in the world
Reply 27
It would be higher if not for that. But bear in mind that:

1. The measured GDPPC of Palestinian Authority territory is only about half that of Jordan - $2k vs $4k. And Jordan is a functional state that can trade with most/all of its neighbours. The fundamental reason Palestine isn't as rich as Israel isn't the result of the border fence.

2. The reason the fence was built is that the Palestinian Authority/PLO keeps trying to blow up Israeli schoolchildren, incidence of which has plummeted since the fence was finished. So the border fence can't be entirely separated from the government's actions either.

The main obstacles to Jordan's economy is scarce water supplies, complete reliance on oil imports for energy, and regional instability. Just over 10% of its land is arable.

Isreals economy is heavily susidised by american directly through record aid per head and indirectly. Isreal is made up of rich immigrants from developed countries who bring capital from home countries.

Same reason why some parts of panama have gdp per capitia twice that of america. Expatriate colonies dont count.Also isreal is heavily supported by the jewish disapora particulary New York Bankers in the early days, arabs dont have the same level of ethno nationalism and ethno centric thinking.

Also UN human rights declaration says all people are equal it doesnt say if Nazi germany is rich it can invade poor countries like poland that dont have tanks
It's fine in any context.

You're misreading it as "I like to fire people working for me" or something like that.

I'm not misreading it.
I'm flabbergasted. This is a man who says....

"I'm not concerned about the very poor."

What he actually said was
'I'm not concerned about the very poor that have a safety net but if it has holes in it, I will repair them'.

In other words, his priority is the poor who aren't covered by the welfare system over the poor who are. I don't see what is controversial about this.

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me."

Again, what he actually said was
'I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. You know, if someone doesn't give me the good service I need, I want to say, ‘You know, I'm going to get someone else to provide this service to me''

Once again, I don't see what is controversial about that. The consumer is always right, and competition, or the threat of it, will drive down prices and increase efficiency.

"He [Obama] says we need more firemen, more policemen, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."

And yet again, another quote taken out of context. Romney is not specifically attacking firemen, policemen and teachers, he is attacking the concept of hiring more public sector workers at a time of slow economic growth and massive deficits. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Romney, but I despise it when people cherry pick comments and quote them out of context.

"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in. That's the America I love."

This isn't even a 'gaffe', and actually makes sense in a long-winded way.
Original post by pol pot noodles
What he actually said was
'I'm not concerned about the very poor that have a safety net but if it has holes in it, I will repair them'.

In other words, his priority is the poor who aren't covered by the welfare system over the poor who are. I don't see what is controversial about this.

Again, what he actually said was
'I like being able to fire people who provide services to me. You know, if someone doesn't give me the good service I need, I want to say, ‘You know, I'm going to get someone else to provide this service to me''

Once again, I don't see what is controversial about that. The consumer is always right, and competition, or the threat of it, will drive down prices and increase efficiency.

And yet again, another quote taken out of context. Romney is not specifically attacking firemen, policemen and teachers, he is attacking the concept of hiring more public sector workers at a time of slow economic growth and massive deficits. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Romney, but I despise it when people cherry pick comments and quote them out of context.

This isn't even a 'gaffe', and actually makes sense in a long-winded way.

He still said all of those things! I know they are out of context, but it is still very stupid to say those things precisely because they can be taken out of context easily!

You have a great username by the way!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur
So they're gassing them, right? Deliciously ironic.

No, Israel is using white phosphorus, among other indiscriminate weapons.
Reply 32
Romney's comments weren't racist, but as with pretty much everything else that comes out of his mouth, they were incredibly stupid.

Israel is much richer than Palestine for a number of reasons, none of them to do with differences in culture. For a start, Israel is one of the largest recipients of foreign aid from the US, which without a doubt contributes to GDP. Israel also continues to seize palestinian land, therefore reducing the land available for palestinians to exploit, and increasing that of the Israelis. Lets also not forget that there has been, and there continues to be, a blockade on a massive chunk of palestine that accounts for nearly half of the total palestinian population.

Israel and Palestine aren't competing equally at all, and therefore it is wrong to say that Israelis are wealthier and better off because of anything other than the fact that Israel has been significantly advantaged, and played unfairly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FDR
Israel also continues to seize palestinian land, therefore reducing the land available for palestinians to exploit, and increasing that of the Israelis.

Not really, the borders of the settlements have remained the same since Oslo. The settlements have expanded within the land controlled by Israel as agreed upon by both parties.
Reply 34
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/24/palestinian-villages-demolition-idf-hebron - Village demolition recently

Oslo accords where signed in 1993, the Isreali built the apartheid wall some time later. The Apartheid wall makes it impossible for Palestinians farmers to get to some parts of their land.

Netayahu said his number 1 goal is to dismantle the Oslo Accords.Israel has actually started housing European immigrants in arab towns like Hebron

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1240000/images/_1244634_israel_hebron_150.gif

Hebron is deep inside Palestine, what business does Israel have creating settlements their ? for essentially what are colonisers.
If Mitt Romney comes into power, the world will become a far worse place.
Original post by FSP
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/24/palestinian-villages-demolition-idf-hebron - Village demolition recently

Oslo accords where signed in 1993, the Isreali built the apartheid wall some time later. The Apartheid wall makes it impossible for Palestinians farmers to get to some parts of their land.

Netayahu said his number 1 goal is to dismantle the Oslo Accords.Israel has actually started housing European immigrants in arab towns like Hebron

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1240000/images/_1244634_israel_hebron_150.gif

Hebron is deep inside Palestine, what business does Israel have creating settlements their ? for essentially what are colonisers.

All the demolished houses were in towns in Area C, as I said before. It's not excusable, but it doesn't go against what I said at all. As for Hebron, most of the town is off-limits to Jews by order of the Israeli military.
Reply 37
its still impossible to have a functioning economy when 61% of your territory is under Isreali Military Control

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=42168&Cr=Palestin&Cr1=

A top United Nations envoy today reiterated that all settlement construction in the occupied Palestinian territory represents a breach of international law, after the Israeli Government announced it will build 300 new units in the Beit El settlement.
“All settlement construction whether on private Palestinian land or elsewhere in occupied Palestinian territory is contrary to international law,
Reply 38
There are numerous examples of settlements being built, illegally, in palestinian land. The borders may not have changed, however Israel has simply shoved settlements in palestine. The case of Hebron is still illegal even if it is in Area C, because the Oslo accords state that in these areas, Israel has full civil and security control, except over palestinian civilians - what it is doing is illegal as it is evicting these palestinians from their land.
Original post by FSP
its still impossible to have a functioning economy when 61% of your territory is under Isreali Military Control

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=42168&Cr=Palestin&Cr1=

Thanks, but nothing to do with anything I said.

Quick Reply