The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by forgetamine
It's all in one capsule but I could ask my GP.. sounds like a good idea.

So it's not even like a tablet you can split in half?

What used to happen to me was I'd take it in the morning and then be okay but have my panic attacks in bed causing bad insomnia. So I think (because I was too panicky to take a proper dose) have 20mg morning then 20mg night then the next day have just 20 mg at night then the next have the same as the first day.

It sounds crazy and it was lol but it was something along those lines and it really worked for me, I only came off the Propranolol and onto something else when my problems changed.
well before I started taking Propranolol I had a lot of panic attacks and didn't leave the house at all. After a while I started to feel better but I think I've experienced a few side effects over the past months such as chest pain, feeling light headed, being tired. Sometimes I feel horrible especially when I wake up but I'm not sure why, I'll have to tell my GP tomorrow and see what happens.

Just give it a go and see how they work for you. They can have different effects on different people. If you experience bad side effects tell your GP immediately.

yes, I think I needa contact my GP! Insomnia is already here though I've always been a sound sleeper. Cheers for the advice! Hope you get better!
Original post by puddledancer
So it's not even like a tablet you can split in half?

What used to happen to me was I'd take it in the morning and then be okay but have my panic attacks in bed causing bad insomnia. So I think (because I was too panicky to take a proper dose) have 20mg morning then 20mg night then the next day have just 20 mg at night then the next have the same as the first day.

It sounds crazy and it was lol but it was something along those lines and it really worked for me, I only came off the Propranolol and onto something else when my problems changed.

No it's a capsule so I can't split it.. Yeah it sounds like it could work though. I also have a bad sleep and panic attacks at night sometimes. I'm going to see my GP today so they can hopefully sort something out.
No it's a capsule so I can't split it.. Yeah it sounds like it could work though. I also have a bad sleep and panic attacks at night sometimes. I'm going to see my GP today so they can hopefully sort something out.

I hope it goes well for you.
Okay I have a stupid problem that I'm losing sleep over and I need advice badly.

So I work in a pub and at 9.30 Saturday morning there is a staff meeting. That would be all fine except I'm in work at 12.00.

I don't know how long the meeting will go so I don't know whether to:

A) Go in my uniform and wait around for my shift. But then if it ends early like 10:00 I'll feel like a fool if no one else is in their uniform.
B) Go in my own clothes and visibly take my uniform to get changed into. If I end up going home I'll feel like a fool for taking them.
C) Go in my own clothes but leave my uniform in my car. But then I'll look stupid going to my car for my uniform if I stay.
D) just go in my own clothes. But if everyone's staying for a bit and chatting and stuff I'll have to leave to go home and get changed.

So many options are going around my head I'm practically having a panic attack but I don't feel comfortable to ask anyone the questions I need answering to make a good decision because I've not been there long and no one knows about my problems.

Gah.
Reply 3045
Okay I have a stupid problem that I'm losing sleep over and I need advice badly.

So I work in a pub and at 9.30 Saturday morning there is a staff meeting. That would be all fine except I'm in work at 12.00.

A) Go in my uniform and wait around for my shift. But then if it ends early like 10:00 I'll feel like a fool if no one else is in their uniform.
B) Go in my own clothes and visibly take my uniform to get changed into. If I end up going home I'll feel like a fool for taking them.
C) Go in my own clothes but leave my uniform in my car. But then I'll look stupid going to my car for my uniform if I stay.
D) just go in my own clothes. But if everyone's staying for a bit and chatting and stuff I'll have to leave to go home and get changed.

So many options are going around my head I'm practically having a panic attack but I don't feel comfortable to ask anyone the questions I need answering to make a good decision because I've not been there long and no one knows about my problems.

Gah.

Can you take your uniform non-visibly? Like, put it in a bag or something? I honestly don't think people will judge you, even if you have it obviously in a carrier bag, but if it would help you feel less anxious to have it more subtly, then do that. I also think c is an option - people won't think you're stupid, they might have done the same!
Original post by d123
Can you take your uniform non-visibly? Like, put it in a bag or something? I honestly don't think people will judge you, even if you have it obviously in a carrier bag, but if it would help you feel less anxious to have it more subtly, then do that. I also think c is an option - people won't think you're stupid, they might have done the same!

I do think taking it subtly is a good option. I think I'm just worrying about after the meeting and being socially awkward, and I'm anxious about the whole thing.

I like being able to turn up, do my shift and just going home, where as other stay for a drink and stuff.

This is just like a stab in the face of my comfort lol.
ask others what they're doing? Text them.

Gah.

wear work trousers and shoes but with a casual top on. that way you are also looking formal as it is a work meeting.

therefore you can just put your shirt or whatever in your bag (it doesnt take much room, honest!) and before your shift just say you are nipping to the ladies/mens room (sorry i didnt check what one you were before clicking on the quote button...), and then you can just quickly remove the top, put the shirt on, and nip the top in the bag :smile:

ive had this before, as i was seeing some friends after work. i just put a nice top in the bag and some trainers that went well with the work trousers and off you go :smile:
Original post by megfashion
wear work trousers and shoes but with a casual top on. that way you are also looking formal as it is a work meeting.

therefore you can just put your shirt or whatever in your bag (it doesnt take much room, honest!) and before your shift just say you are nipping to the ladies/mens room (sorry i didnt check what one you were before clicking on the quote button...), and then you can just quickly remove the top, put the shirt on, and nip the top in the bag :smile:

ive had this before, as i was seeing some friends after work. i just put a nice top in the bag and some trainers that went well with the work trousers and off you go :smile:

I'm a girl lol.

That's a really good idea. I think I might end up doing that.

I hate being in this position ><.
I'm a girl lol.

That's a really good idea. I think I might end up doing that.

I hate being in this position ><.

Was it today? How did it go? :redface:
Original post by Amwazicles
Was it today? How did it go? :redface:

It was actually okay.

I'd asked someone how long they usually last and they had said anywhere between 1 and 2 hours. So I wore my uniform, although I was the only one wearing it as the other girl who was in at the same time as me missed the meeting.

I was a bit worried about afterwards and what I would do like who to talk to, whether people would stay behind, and so forth so I took a book but ended up not needing is as I flitted between people as they left and someone was staying until later so I wasn't left on my own as such.

Thanks for asking about it, it's still hard with no one at work knowing anything, I feel like laughing sometimes I'm so full of secrets.
Not having a good night anxiety wise, feel really on edge and borderline out of it :frown:
It was actually okay.

I'd asked someone how long they usually last and they had said anywhere between 1 and 2 hours. So I wore my uniform, although I was the only one wearing it as the other girl who was in at the same time as me missed the meeting.

I was a bit worried about afterwards and what I would do like who to talk to, whether people would stay behind, and so forth so I took a book but ended up not needing is as I flitted between people as they left and someone was staying until later so I wasn't left on my own as such.

Thanks for asking about it, it's still hard with no one at work knowing anything, I feel like laughing sometimes I'm so full of secrets.

:hugs: Well done! Sounds like you handled it brilliantly. :smile: I suppose everyone is full of secrets really, you can't know everything about someone. But I guess it's hard when a big part of you is hidden. Is there anyone at work you'd feel comfortable even talking to a little bit, or vaguely about stuff? Sometimes a very small 'secret-telling' can make you feel loads better than you would expect, to know someone else has even the slightest idea of what's going on with you. :redface:

Original post by kiss_me_now9
Not having a good night anxiety wise, feel really on edge and borderline out of it :frown:

Is there anything making you anxious in particular? I hope I'm not too late to catch you. :redface: What are you doing at the moment? :hugs:
:hugs: Well done! Sounds like you handled it brilliantly. :smile: I suppose everyone is full of secrets really, you can't know everything about someone. But I guess it's hard when a big part of you is hidden. Is there anyone at work you'd feel comfortable even talking to a little bit, or vaguely about stuff? Sometimes a very small 'secret-telling' can make you feel loads better than you would expect, to know someone else has even the slightest idea of what's going on with you. :redface:

Thanks lol.

I think there is a couple of people I could talk to but as much as I like the idea of getting more comfortable at work I like that people don't know me properly, like I can reinvent myself but it is a big lie lol.

Someone said to me that I should go out with them sometime, I don't know whether they mean't a pub or a club, and I said yeah I will. I don't know if its a good thing pretending I don't panic and I don't like heavy social situations but I like that they asked me and people at work do seem to like me.
Thanks lol.

I think there is a couple of people I could talk to but as much as I like the idea of getting more comfortable at work I like that people don't know me properly, like I can reinvent myself but it is a big lie lol.

Someone said to me that I should go out with them sometime, I don't know whether they mean't a pub or a club, and I said yeah I will. I don't know if its a good thing pretending I don't panic and I don't like heavy social situations but I like that they asked me and people at work do seem to like me.

I understand what you mean, sometimes it's nice to feel like you're a bit mysterious :tongue: But I guess if you have some people you're comfortable with then you know that if you ever did want or need to chat to someone, they're there.

Nice one! :smile: A good thing to bear in mind is that you don't have to explain that you have anxiety in order to tell them you don't want to go clubbing (if you don't). It's as easy as "I don't really like clubs, maybe we could go out for lunch?", you don't have to go into details at all. Lots of people don't like clubs and the people at work aren't going to take it badly if you say you don't really fancy it. Or alternatively, you could just give it a try if you felt like it, and be open to the idea of leaving early (maybe with a ready-made excuse - "I don't feel well"), and just see if you enjoy it. :redface:
I understand what you mean, sometimes it's nice to feel like you're a bit mysterious :tongue: But I guess if you have some people you're comfortable with then you know that if you ever did want or need to chat to someone, they're there.

Nice one! :smile: A good thing to bear in mind is that you don't have to explain that you have anxiety in order to tell them you don't want to go clubbing (if you don't). It's as easy as "I don't really like clubs, maybe we could go out for lunch?", you don't have to go into details at all. Lots of people don't like clubs and the people at work aren't going to take it badly if you say you don't really fancy it. Or alternatively, you could just give it a try if you felt like it, and be open to the idea of leaving early (maybe with a ready-made excuse - "I don't feel well"), and just see if you enjoy it. :redface:

I think I am open to experiencing going out, my tablets are working well and I am getting more confident because of work, but yeah I'm definitely not going to put myself into a position that can jeprodise everything just so I can seem 'normaler'. It wouldn't be worth it.
What is treatment for anxiety and depression? Im worried about what my treatment will be.. :s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Thankyou SO much for your help :smile: I have an appointment with my GP on Friday x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey, this probably sounds wierd as hell but it's really really bothering me at the moment so I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but I don't really know how to explain it without giving a bigger picture first!
I'm 21 and first developed problems with anxiety when I was about 10 and started having regular panic attacks. I guess at the time I mainly worried about my health and my family's health. I don't really remember much about the treatment I got for them but I was taught to recognise my physical symptoms as anxiety and got the panic attacks under control. I haven't had a full blown one since I was 12 or 13, but still sometimes get sort of mini anxiety attacks (feels like the start of them, but never reaches a point where I am hyperventilating or anything cos I am aware of what it is and that it will pass), and I don't feel like the internal feelings of worry or anxiety have ever really gone away, although they have repeatedly waxed and waned over time. When I was 16 the worrying started to get much worse again, this time all surrounding body image and social anxiety. Again it waxes and wanes, the anxious feelings are constantly there and I struggle with overthinking but sometimes I can function okay with it niggling away in the background and other times I can't leave the house due to appearance worries/wanting to avoid awkward situations, but even when it is at its worst my physical symptoms are still under control, although I have a tendency to feel low at these times and have been self-harming as a result. I guess this is where my question comes in, I put off going to my GP for 5 years because I was scared they wouldn't believe me because the physical symptoms are not that bad and when I am in my comfort zone I feel ok. When I finally plucked up the courage to go, I was referred to the iapt programme thing and after my assessment with them I've been put straight on the waiting list for some individual CBT which should start in the new year but in the mean time I'm just sitting tight or I might go to my GP when I get back to uni to see if there is a shorter waiting time there than at home (although the worry i'm about to describe might stop me from doing that). I guess because maybe I don't suffer from physical anxiety symptoms I can't control, and I have a pretty good talent for hiding my emotions/worries from others so people might not necessarily be able to tell that anything is wrong, I can't stop thinking what if I don't have an anxiety disorder at all, that somehow i'm lying to myself and others about it and it's something that i've convinced myself I have but don't really? I told two of my closest friends that i've been referred for CBT and since then I feel constantly paranoid that they don't believe me and think i'm a massive liar, or that I exaggerate or attention seek, and then I sort of think what if that is true and start to feel really guilty and stuff, I can't stop thinking about it and i'm dreaming about it and all sorts! Does anyone get what I mean or does that just sound really wierd?

Quick Reply

Latest