The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if you can use the printed application form as opppose to one from the store? The one I've found is from 2008.
http://www.application-form.org/uk/retailer/tesco/

I ask this because they removed the form from the website and also the form I got from the store in my town was very slightly different. Would this matter? (They said they didn't have anything for me but would keep me on the waiting list for 3months) But I do want to apply to the Tesco stores in the city I'll be moving to for university. (I could easily travel there for the rest of the summer if I was successful).

Also if you put down "General Assistant" as the position you're applying for, does that mean you could be given anything, or is it a specific job? I wouldn't object to the night shift and what not.
Reply 621
Original post by Chrisruptor
Does anyone know if you can use the printed application form as opppose to one from the store? The one I've found is from 2008.
http://www.application-form.org/uk/retailer/tesco/

I ask this because they removed the form from the website and also the form I got from the store in my town was very slightly different. Would this matter? (They said they didn't have anything for me but would keep me on the waiting list for 3months) But I do want to apply to the Tesco stores in the city I'll be moving to for university. (I could easily travel there for the rest of the summer if I was successful).

Also if you put down "General Assistant" as the position you're applying for, does that mean you could be given anything, or is it a specific job? I wouldn't object to the night shift and what not.

The only application form now valid is the one live on the website when you apply for a specific job. Stores should not be taking CV's or applications anymore because all applicants must pass the online assessment. As far as I am aware the assessment is online only, it was only rolled out a few weeks ago...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tinsley
The only application form now valid is the one live on the website when you apply for a specific job. Stores should not be taking CV's or applications anymore because all applicants must pass the online assessment. As far as I am aware the assessment is online only, it was only rolled out a few weeks ago...

Oh. I see. When I asked for an application form in my store, they gave me the last one they had. And I handed that in and got a letter last week saying I'd passed and they'd keep me on file for 3 months.

I also applied online for the night shift jobs, answered all questions with the obvious "correct" answer which in my case was true for me anyway, and I got rejected both times. Don't know what the criteria is for working there in that case... maybe I'd need a referring employee. I have heard everyone is related in Tesco. :P
Reply 623
Original post by Chrisruptor
Oh. I see. When I asked for an application form in my store, they gave me the last one they had. And I handed that in and got a letter last week saying I'd passed and they'd keep me on file for 3 months.

I also applied online for the night shift jobs, answered all questions with the obvious "correct" answer which in my case was true for me anyway, and I got rejected both times. Don't know what the criteria is for working there in that case... maybe I'd need a referring employee. I have heard everyone is related in Tesco. :P

There is always a possibility it is being rolled out in Superstore more slowly, but most certainly in Expresses we can't take CV's. A couple CA's accidentally accepted some on like day two of the online thing being up and my manager ripped them up and chucked them in the bin. To be fair they were underage for our vacancies anyway.

The online assessment requires a pass rate of 95% too. I would think it must be in Superstore already tbh, seeing as all the questions on there seem to barely relate to Express stores, its all about Superstore related scenarios. Not everyone is clued up about it yet but this is how we recruit in Expresses now, I can tell you that 100%.
Reply 624
Questions are the same are pretty much the same as they've been years now, and you don't have to go online to apply, that's simply a store specific rule, and Expresses are slower at being "online only applications" than the Supermarkets are, though plenty of Supermarkets will still be happy to give you a application. Sainsburys is pretty much the only Supermarket who have enforced a store wide online only approach, but even then, their convenience stores happily skip over it from time to time.

They've never really accepted CV's as you have to do the questionnaire thing, but some Express just allowed a bit of leeway on it.
Reply 625
Original post by DRose
Questions are the same are pretty much the same as they've been years now, and you don't have to go online to apply, that's simply a store specific rule, and Expresses are slower at being "online only applications" than the Supermarkets are, though plenty of Supermarkets will still be happy to give you a application. Sainsburys is pretty much the only Supermarket who have enforced a store wide online only approach, but even then, their convenience stores happily skip over it from time to time.

They've never really accepted CV's as you have to do the questionnaire thing, but some Express just allowed a bit of leeway on it.

Its definitely not store specific in Expresses, it is compulsory in my group.
Reply 626
I just started at Tescos this week, my induction was yesterday and my first real shift is on Thursday. We asked the manager when we were there about pay and she said pay day is a week on Friday and said what we'd be paid but I sort of forgot.... Does anyone know what the cut-off day is before payday? I work mondays thursday and saturdays so how many of those shifts will I be paid for?
Why I am not getting job in tesco ?? I applied and got rejected ...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by sillybear
I just started at Tescos this week, my induction was yesterday and my first real shift is on Thursday. We asked the manager when we were there about pay and she said pay day is a week on Friday and said what we'd be paid but I sort of forgot.... Does anyone know what the cut-off day is before payday? I work mondays thursday and saturdays so how many of those shifts will I be paid for?

cut off day for the august 3rd payday is this thursday 26th july,

its always the thursday before pay day is the cut off :smile:
Reply 629
hi, I've applied for a personal shopper role at tesco online at the begining of the month. Its now a couple of days till the end of this month and have'n't heard a thing other than a reciept of my online application the same day I applied. The closing date for the job ended 2 days ago, they said they would contact me about my application but I have doubts. My sister applied for the same job and is on the same boat. Is is normal to wait this long or should I assume I've failed?
Hey everyone, this is kinda similar to the above post but last week I handed my application form in to the customer service desk.
Any idea when I'll hear back from them? I'm not expecting anything more then a letter saying they'll keep me on file, but if someone could give me an answer that'd be great! :smile:
Original post by natnoo64
hi, I've applied for a personal shopper role at tesco online at the begining of the month. Its now a couple of days till the end of this month and have'n't heard a thing other than a reciept of my online application the same day I applied. The closing date for the job ended 2 days ago, they said they would contact me about my application but I have doubts. My sister applied for the same job and is on the same boat. Is is normal to wait this long or should I assume I've failed?

Yh i had the same problem when I applied to tesco's. Funny story this, I applied to tesco's 2 days before I applied to Sainsburys. Heard back from Sainsburys, had the interview, got the job and went for both induction days before I even heard back from tesco's (telling Me I failed the online test -_- ). So in my experience, they do take quite some time to reply back

This was posted in 200 BC from The Student Room's iStone app.
Reply 632
hi,

I applied customer serivce job online after I dont recevied confirmation email as well, they recevied my application or not.anyone know why I dont recevied confirmation email or still I have to wait,I applied yesturday morning.thanks
Original post by Fake.personality
Why I am not getting job in tesco ?? I applied and got rejected ...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

If you didn't get an interview it means you scored less than 94% on the online assessment.
What are the breaks like at Tesco?
Reply 635
Original post by Lintu93
Got a phonecall yesterday inviting me to an interview today. Interview went well and as soon as she had finished interviewing me she offered me a job on the customer service desk! :biggrin: Anyone else working on the customer service desk at tesco?

I work on the CSD! How are you finding it?
Reply 636
they said they would contact me about my application. there have been other time when I applied I was rejected my email the same day or the following, I thought if you were rejected my email then you failed the online test. what does it mean if they say they will contact you and its been nearly a month since?
Reply 637
Hi, I'm thinking about applying for a part time job at my local Tesco but I'm going back to uni at the end of September. Do you think they'll still hire me even though I'll have to reduce my hours for when I'm at uni?
I had passed the application form stage in my town but they had no vacancies, so I asked in store about applying to other stores and was told just to send my CV and cover letter. A couple of weeks ago I sent out a CV and covering letter to 6 Tesco stores in the city I'm moving to for university. I've had a reply from one of them a week after I sent it saying they have no suitable vacancies, but will keep me on file. Should I expect any more replies? :\
Reply 639
Original post by Daaanz
I work on the CSD! How are you finding it?

I actually quite like it! :smile: There's usually customers to be serving so I'm not standing there doing nothing too often. Plus it's pretty simple, all I've done so far is cigarettes and lottery tickets with the occasional return/exchange.

How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending