The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

When Does Freshers week start

Hi ! Im going to Loughborough this September (grades permitting) and Im just wondering when does freshers week start and is that when we move into campus?

Thanks ! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Halls normally move in the Wednesday and Thursday before term starts, possibly Tuesday now as well since there's more halls than there used to be. The first day of term is the 3rd this year so that's the 24/25/26th, they stagger the halls so that there's not too much chaos and your first social will normally be Welcome Party 1 or 2 (whichever is on the first day you move in) and that's at the Students Union to give you chance to get your bearings on campus before being taken into town on the following nights.

Each hall has it's own Freshers week social timetable which you may get through the post but it'll also be on their website. As far as the students union is concerned it'll probably be;
Wednesday - Welcome Party 1
Thursday - Welcome Party 2
Friday - Freshers FND
Saturday - maybe an act or something but I think most halls go to Notts that night
Sunday - Sing Off and after party
Monday - Calmer night like XXX rated hypnotist
Tuesday - Freshers Stupid Tuesday
Wednesday - Freshers Hey Ewe
Thursday - Universal Thursday
Friday - Returners FND
Saturday - Freshers Ball
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by parpirate
Halls normally move in the Wednesday and Thursday before term starts, possibly Tuesday now as well since there's more halls than there used to be. The first day of term is the 3rd this year so that's the 24/25/26th, they stagger the halls so that there's not too much chaos and your first social will normally be Welcome Party 1 or 2 (whichever is on the first day you move in) and that's at the Students Union to give you chance to get your bearings on campus before being taken into town on the following nights.

Each hall has it's own Freshers week social timetable which you may get through the post but it'll also be on their website. As far as the students union is concerned it'll probably be;
Friday - Freshers FND
Saturday - maybe an act or something but I think most halls go to Notts that night
Friday - Returners FND
Saturday - Freshers Ball

Thanks for that :smile:
Reply 3
I am a postgrad and I was given a room in Forest Camp, I will receive my room on the 27th of September (according to the license), does it mean I will miss the first three days??

Friday - Freshers FND
Friday - Returners FND
Saturday - Freshers Ball

Is it true that returners (bar fresher helpers) are not allowed into the union for nights out till the week after freshers arrived? So the first week of October?
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Is it true that returners (bar fresher helpers) are not allowed into the union for nights out till the week after freshers arrived? So the first week of October?

The welcome parties are definitely halls only though I've no idea if returners living in halls are allowed to move in then, the Sing Off is definitely halls only as well. For Freshers FND the halls buy tickets in advance so it's unlikely anyone else will get in because there simply isn't space.

The first few days are usually fully packed with loads of people really lost and confused, that combined with ridiculous queues for the bar would be enough to put most returners off anyway I think. Thinking about it, Returners FND is the busiest night of the year which probably answers the question about Freshers FND.
The welcome parties are definitely halls only though I've no idea if returners living in halls are allowed to move in then, the Sing Off is definitely halls only as well. For Freshers FND the halls buy tickets in advance so it's unlikely anyone else will get in because there simply isn't space.

The first few days are usually fully packed with loads of people really lost and confused, that combined with ridiculous queues for the bar would be enough to put most returners off anyway I think. Thinking about it, Returners FND is the
busiest night of the year which probably answers the question about Freshers FND.

Hahaha, I was just checking :smile:

I'm not back in Loughborough till the 29th anyway so it makes no difference to me.
Reply 7
Original post by yazanabawi
I am a postgrad and I was given a room in Forest Camp, I will receive my room on the 27th of September (according to the license), does it mean I will miss the first three days??

It seems so! the welcome parties aren't much to miss though. I've worked them for 2 years and the drinks are usually overpriced. You'll see a massive price drop and offers are better for Hey Ewe/FND. But no one knows that when they first come so the profit margins are spiked :wink:

Otherwise fresher's are really more for the roudy 18 year old. I'm not tempted by it as a postgrad. Then again one or two nights won't hurt.
Reply 8
You have a point, thanks!
As an update on my other post my most recent email from work says there's a Stupid Tuesday before the two Welcome Parties so I'm guessing the freshers are arriving over three days again. There's also nothing planned for the first Saturday, halls Take Me Out Monday and Tuesday and Halls Parties on the last Sunday.

Saturday - Freshers Ball

What are you supposed to wear for this? I'm trying to plan what I need to buy/bring :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Village Whisper
What are you supposed to wear for this? I'm trying to plan what I need to buy/bring :smile:

Suits for the men, cocktail dresses for the ladies. :smile:
Last year it was epic, Dynamo was wandering around. Mind blown.
Original post by hawkesy_1
Suits for the men, cocktail dresses for the ladies. :smile:
Last year it was epic, Dynamo was wandering around. Mind blown.

What, the magician guy? I assume he was supposed to be there? :tongue:

And thanks, I guess that means I'll have to do more clothes shopping!
Reply 13
What, the magician guy? I assume he was supposed to be there? :tongue:

And thanks, I guess that means I'll have to do more clothes shopping!

Yeah, he was epic! Tbh the freshers ball is right at the end of freshers, depending on how much you've gone out you might be flagging a bit but it is so good! It was my 12th night out over the 2 weeks of freshers, some people had done all 14! What halls are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah, he was epic! Tbh the freshers ball is right at the end of freshers, depending on how much you've gone out you might be flagging a bit but it is so good! It was my 12th night out over the 2 weeks of freshers, some people had done all 14! What halls are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

He scares me a bit...I genuinely have no idea how he does any of it. I can imagine it must've been pretty good though! Haha, well, I'm not really a going out type of person at the moment but hopefully that'll change a bit if I find some nice people :smile: 12/14 days seems a bit much though :tongue:

I'm in Harry French, where were/are you?
Reply 15
What are youse all going to study ? :smile:
Reply 16
He scares me a bit...I genuinely have no idea how he does any of it. I can imagine it must've been pretty good though! Haha, well, I'm not really a going out type of person at the moment but hopefully that'll change a bit if I find some nice people :smile: 12/14 days seems a bit much though :tongue:

I'm in Harry French, where were/are you?

Yeah it was good :smile: I'm sure that'll change when you get to uni, I know a lot of people who didn't like going out much when they start, they love it now! I'm in Bill Mo (William Morris), we have a big rivalry with Harry French so you have that to look forward to :P
Original post by michael C
What are youse all going to study ? :smile:

Fine Art :smile: What about you?

Yeah it was good :smile: I'm sure that'll change when you get to uni, I know a lot of people who didn't like going out much when they start, they love it now! I'm in Bill Mo (William Morris), we have a big rivalry with Harry French so you have that to look forward to :P

Oh that's good, maybe that'll be me then :smile: Yeah I heard about the rivalry haha, didn't really help when I was trying to decide between the two before I booked my room. Hopefully I made the right decision though :tongue:
Reply 18
I'm doing art foundation and from the looks of it it doesn't seem like we get much of a freshers week?

:tongue: Like I think I move into Village Court on the 26th, then have an induction day on the 28th and then the course starts on the 3rd October (I think)?
Reply 19
Fine Art :smile: What about you?

Oh that's good, maybe that'll be me then :smile: Yeah I heard about the rivalry haha, didn't really help when I was trying to decide between the two before I booked my room. Hopefully I made the right decision though :tongue:

As a Bill Mo student I'd say you made the wrong decision :wink: Sure you'll enjoy it though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest