The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I literally loved the EPQ so just wanted to wish you guys all luck and make sure you get really stuck into it cos if I could do it again, I would! It's so fascinating and the fact you can literally do whatever you wish is so good :biggrin: Good luck... AND make sure you pay attention to the self-eval bit, I went from an A* written work to A overall project because of it!!
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
I literally loved the EPQ so just wanted to wish you guys all luck and make sure you get really stuck into it cos if I could do it again, I would! It's so fascinating and the fact you can literally do whatever you wish is so good :biggrin: Good luck... AND make sure you pay attention to the self-eval bit, I went from an A* written work to A overall project because of it!!

Have you got any tips for writing the report ?? :smile:
Original post by Dust.
"How much does Ancient Greece affect modern day Law?" - working title.

Is this good enough? Too hard to look into? Too easy? Any advice? Any particular websites/books to read?

Change How much does... to To what extent has Ancient Greece influenced modern day law. Just makes it sound more accessible as an evaluative piece of research and as HarryMWilliams has said, AQA love 'To what extent...' and looking at most EPQs, you'll see people using it.

Otherwise, it sounds like a very accessible and interesting title allowing for a wide breadth of study but you may want to be careful in that if you find you have way too much information to use you'll probably want to narrow it down to a field such as criminal law or the modern day justice system of the UK.

Good luck! I've eventually gotten around to mine which has reminded me the other thing to note is that your title doesn't have to be final until submission, you can change it to fit what you have written. For example, I came up with my title To what extent does a person's environment affect their recovery from an illness? but I am thinking that perhaps this will limit me slightly so I have written three titles that are similar and am now leaning towards To what extent does a person’s environment impact on their health: A detailed examination into… so it gives less confinement to having to define health, choosing a specific illness to examen, etc and can now focus not only on non-specfic health but also focus on other aspects such as prisons as an environment - do prisoners recover sooner, are they prone to more illness etc...

EDIT: Also, on that note, would anyone be willing to complete my questionnaire on hospital environments? Thanks :colondollar: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HNZT9JV
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a page for refrences ..this will allow anyone that whats to check the resources I used for my essay

and then I have another page for a bibliography containing everything I looked at in my research ..even if I did not directly include them in the essay.

My question is do I have to include all the sources I stated in the 'Refrences page' also in the 'Bibliography page' ....I feel that If I have already mentioned the books etc that I used in the refrences then I don't need to put them in the Bibliography ???

Someone please reply :colondollar::tongue:
EDIT: ALSO IF YOU QUOTE SOMEONE AND THEN NEXT TO THE QUOTE WRITE THE BOOK AND THE YEAR IT WAS PUBLISHED ETC DOES THAT COUNT IN THE WORD LIMIIT ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello everyone,

Are the title, abstract, contents or bibliography included in the word count?
Hiya, I'm trying to plan out the structure for my EPQ dissertation and I've come across several web pages saying that I need to write a literature review... Could anyone please explain what this actually entails? Do I write it before or after my actual discussion? And do I need to include a discussion of every single source I've used? My sixth form have given me precious little guidance about writing the dissertation and are expecting a fully completed draft by September, so any help that anyone could offer would be fantastic! Thankyou! :smile:
Hi,
I'm wanting to do fashion/advertising at university and decided to do an EPQ. So far I already have interests in the topic "The image of beauty and how's it adapted" e.g. like curvy models to skinny models ,or something on the lines of misleading advertising or "the impact of advertising on womens attitudes and behaviours"
If anyone can help me with this topic or help me with an all rounded question it would be much appreciated just reply below!
Thank you :smile: x
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Hello everyone,

Are the title, abstract, contents or bibliography included in the word count?

Nope.
Reply 3028
Could anybody who has done a literature based EPQ please post their titles, as I am finding it impossible to get a straight answer about how to aproach it in terms of actually finding a question.
Reply 3029
Original post by sibasaurus
Hi,
I'm wanting to do fashion/advertising at university and decided to do an EPQ. So far I already have interests in the topic "The image of beauty and how's it adapted" e.g. like curvy models to skinny models ,or something on the lines of misleading advertising or "the impact of advertising on womens attitudes and behaviours"
If anyone can help me with this topic or help me with an all rounded question it would be much appreciated just reply below!
Thank you :smile: x

I remember a girl doing something like this. She compared marilyn monroe to skinny models today.
Reply 3030
Original post by xoJessicaAnn

I completely agree. I found it very interesting and we had a small group so we had a fun time. Especially with the presentations. Waiting on my results in august now. :eek:
Reply 3031
My life was changed today! I realized I was sick and tired of day after day not getting the popularity I needed. I already had some popularity, but I wanted to have more. If this sounds like you, and you like popularity like I do, you might want to check out this one trick to being popular. Read it here: http://bepopularfast.mymemberdesk.com/?affid=5
Original post by Pensivedore
Nope.

is it 5000 words maximum ?
Reply 3033
I know what I am doing mine on but I literally have no idea on how to go about starting it? Can someone provide a basic structure? Should I research first or plan first and how should I write down my research>?
Original post by pepeeglesfield

The essay? Yes, I think so, but mine was 8000 words and I know some people who did 10000 and it was still allowed. :dontknow: Ask your EPQ supervisor because your school might have different rules/ might not be as lenient.

If you mean the essay, then 5000 words is the minimum. I think you can go as high as you like - someone in my class wrote 24000 words, although I don't know if they got marked down at all for it.
The essay? Yes, I think so, but mine was 8000 words and I know some people who did 10000 and it was still allowed. :dontknow: Ask your EPQ supervisor because your school might have different rules/ might not be as lenient.

Original post by Stripes23
If you mean the essay, then 5000 words is the minimum. I think you can go as high as you like - someone in my class wrote 24000 words, although I don't know if they got marked down at all for it.

Oh i see, i was under the impression it was the maximum and you couldnt go over it :s-smilie: evidently not...how many words would you guys reccomend to to daily?
Oh i see, i was under the impression it was the maximum and you couldnt go over it :s-smilie: evidently not...how many words would you guys reccomend to to daily?

My introduction is at around 500 so far.:smile:

As many as you feel necessary..? I mean, as long as you stick to deadlines there's really no right amount of words to be writing. There were days where I could write paragraphs and paragraphs, and then there were days where I could barley string a sentence together.

Just make sure to update everything regularly. By this I mean your project log, sources log etc. Trust me, you do not want to be updating your entire project log in one day because you've forgotten to do it for the past two weeks.

Good luck with it! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
As many as you feel necessary..? I mean, as long as you stick to deadlines there's really no right amount of words to be writing. There were days where I could write paragraphs and paragraphs, and then there were days where I could barley string a sentence together.

Just make sure to update everything regularly. By this I mean your project log, sources log etc. Trust me, you do not want to be updating your entire project log in one day because you've forgotten to do it for the past two weeks.

Good luck with it! :biggrin:

woooooo there knew I was missing something out....whats a project log and sources log? I can guess what the sources log is but where do you write it down etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending