The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DontBeJelBeReem
Im torn between the Nexus and Galaxy S3 :frown: Nexus is cheaper and has the Jelly Bean update.. but i've never had an Android, in fact my last two phones have been Nokia's and i feel a bit lost when it comes to top of the range phones... help?!

The S3 is rumoured to be getting JB in the not too distant future. It's a good phone, best on the market at the mo.
Original post by mikeyd85
The S3 is rumoured to be getting JB in the not too distant future. It's a good phone, best on the market at the mo.

Yeah i think this could end up me just flipping a coin...
Im even considering the note too, but thats an outsider. If i can find out if the S3 is getting JB soon, i'd go for that. Easily the best phone out right now, all my friends are iPhone phags though and keep pestering me to go apple. no chance.
Original post by DontBeJelBeReem
Yeah i think this could end up me just flipping a coin...
Im even considering the note too, but thats an outsider. If i can find out if the S3 is getting JB soon, i'd go for that. Easily the best phone out right now, all my friends are iPhone phags though and keep pestering me to go apple. no chance.

Go for the S3 tbh. It's got ICS already so even if there was no official JB update, you could easily whack it on there anyway.
Finally got the net back at home (moved house).

My new router has a USB port on it which works lovely as a NAS... Anyone managed to be able to map a network drive to a mount point in Android (not interested in ES File Explorer support). I wanna be able to map my whole music collection to PowerAmp when at home and all my movies to something like MX player when I get a N7 tab...
I remember when I really wanted one of these :moon:
Is the One S the smallest good phone now?
Reply 7766
Original post by + polarity -
Is the One S the smallest good phone now?

What do you mean? It's not small at all.
Original post by Inverse
What do you mean? It's not small at all.

Is it smaller than comparably specced and priced phones? The Xperia S appears to be smaller but I'm not sure how easy Sony phones are to flash :beard:
Reply 7768
Original post by + polarity -
Is it smaller than comparably specced and priced phones? The Xperia S appears to be smaller but I'm not sure how easy Sony phones are to flash :beard:

I think the SII is of a similar size. I'd go ahead and say so; I don't think the One S has S-Off yet.
Got my Galaxy S3 on Monday but can't open it till I know I've got the deal I wanted approved, should know by friday/saturday, otherwise have to return it :frown:

So tempted to open it but got to be strong. Even worse my touchpad is waiting to be picked up for a warranty repair, almost two weeks since the collection was ordered and the idiots at HP just told me to wait when I rang them earlier.

So I currently have two android devices sat in boxes in my room and can't use either. :frown:
Reply 7770
Just changed my email address from a hotmail.com to an outlook.com and I don't know how to get my emails come through to my phone through the android email app. Can anyone help? My phone is an HTC Desire
Reply 7771
Can anyone recommend a good ROM for the Galaxy Nexus? My new phone should be arriving from an insurance claim tomorrow, and I never rooted my last one. Thought this was a good chance to start! I have been looking at the CM9 RC1.I'm looking for something which is hopefully not too buggy :tongue:

edit - also looking at liquid smooth.

Can anyone provide feedback? Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AHP1
Just changed my email address from a hotmail.com to an outlook.com and I don't know how to get my emails come through to my phone through the android email app. Can anyone help? My phone is an HTC Desire

POP setting

Server name: XXXX.outlook.com

Port: 995

Encryption method: SSL

IMAP setting

Server name: XXXXX.outlook.com

Port: 993

SMTP setting

Port: 587

Encryption method: TLS

Original post by tface
Can anyone recommend a good ROM for the Galaxy Nexus? My new phone should be arriving from an insurance claim tomorrow, and I never rooted my last one. Thought this was a good chance to start! I have been looking at the CM9 RC1.I'm looking for something which is hopefully not too buggy :tongue:

edit - also looking at liquid smooth.

Can anyone provide feedback? Thanks!

RC1 would suggest release candidate status and therefore not bug free. Personally, I'd go for an AOKP based ROM. I have no knowledge of the different ROMs for this phone.
Reply 7773
POP setting

Server name: XXXX.outlook.com

Port: 995

IMAP setting

Port: 993

SMTP setting

Port: 587

Encryption method: TLS

Ive tried the top two solutions and it says that the server is not responding...?
Original post by AHP1

Ive tried the top two solutions and it says that the server is not responding...?

What are you replacing xxxxx with?
Reply 7775
What are you replacing xxxxx with?

my email address, just the beginning bit, e.g. johnsmith99 , not [email protected]
Reply 7776
my S2 is running slow eg. If I exit an app to the homescreen it takes a second for everything to load and it takes longer for my phone to boot up now than it did before

I did download some torrents but I deleted all of them

It's a tiny problem but this is meant to be one of the fastest phones in the world so I don't really expect problems like this
:fuhrer:
Reply 7778

RC1 would suggest release candidate status and therefore not bug free. Personally, I'd go for an AOKP based ROM. I have no knowledge of the different ROMs for this phone.

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look :smile: Do you prefer AOKP to CM9/10? If so, why?

Original post by diggy
my S2 is running slow eg. If I exit an app to the homescreen it takes a second for everything to load and it takes longer for my phone to boot up now than it did before

I did download some torrents but I deleted all of them

It's a tiny problem but this is meant to be one of the fastest phones in the world so I don't really expect problems like this

Do you have a lot of widgets on the home screens? That can cause slow downs. You could try flashing a new ROM which might be quicker, or maybe a new launcher might make a difference (don't know about the latter).
I'm fairly new to android and I'm looking to learn more, I apologise if this has been covered but it's late and I really don't feel like reading back through God knows how many pages to find stuff. I'm looking for good apps, paid or free to install if anyone has any suggestions. A good backup app would be great, if that's possible. I've rooted the phone already. If there's any other tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.